Silverback MDR (available for pre-order)

sonofsammo

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I couldn't find a thread on this, so apologies if my search skills have failed me.

It seems the MDR is finally available for pre-order, with orders shipping in the first quarter next year (allegedly January, although I won't hold my breath).
Has anyone bit the bullet?
I'm trying to find recent footage of one in use on youtube, but can't seem to find any.
Can anyone point me towards recent footage or a review?
It's fairly pricey, so I'm going to hold off until they're in the wild, I think...

Now that's interesting.

The Faceache page has a bunch of pictures of the gearbox on it, looks like a partially split design so you could run different cylinder/spring assemblies. Some specs reproduced below.

Looking forward to seeing some reviews, but not certain I'd want to be an early adopter. That said, they've had a lot of time to get it right and they've done well with their other guns thus far.

-CNC aluminium wide bore cylinder/upper gearbox (26mm diameter, +19% compared to a standard AEG), including a spring quick change design.
-CNC aluminium cylinder head, NBR piston damper, stainless steel nozzle.
-CNC aluminium ventilated piston head, FKM o-ring, POM glider ring.
-CNC stainless steel & aluminium spring guide, equipped with a thrust bearing. 3 lugs design ensuring a better axial alignment.
- “Tappet plate-less” construction.
-CNC aluminium piston body, hardened MIM steel 16 teeth rack.
-18:1 torque up gear set, hardened MIM steel.
-ADC 12 aluminium gearbox carter, 10mm ball bearing.
-Designed to operate on 11.1V Li-Po batteries (possibility to operate on 7.4V).
-Electronic Trigger Unit, CPU motor control, gear cycle and fire selector position detection by Hall Effect sensor. 2 mosfets for power, 1 mosfet for active braking.
-Neodymium high-torque motor 19000RPM (11.1V), short axis.
-Silver-plated wiring, Teflon coated.

Just now, Hatchet said:

not certain I'd want to be an early adopter.

This.
I'd be a little more enthused if I'd seen a finished product in action, somewhere. Well, anywhere!
It seems strange they've not put any vids up at all. 

7 minutes ago, sonofsammo said:

An actual video of what looks to be a real Silverback MDR-X

Just wish I spoke Chinese.

@Asomodai, you ordered one yet?

Nope. I sold off most of my collection last year and happy with what I have left 🙂

• Supporters

Gonna be expensive then but could be very nice.  I've always felt there's few options for normal AEG systems with higher end bits out of the box.  I know there's a comparatively small market for such things, but it can work out costing quite a bit more to get a normal/mid gun upgraded by someone who actually knows what they're doing and with good parts compared to just paying the higher price to start.  Obviously a good chunk of that is the fact those original stock internals you've paid for then replaced aren't worth much even if you do spend the time and effort selling them.

Personally I've been after something nice with 762 sized mags and I like a bullpup, pretty intriguing.

Main issue for me is Silverbacks ever dwindling reputation for good QC, or in some instances, any QC. They came out swinging but the overall quality and accuracy of tolerances seems to diminish with each new release, I certainly wouldn't be at the front of the queue for the first batch. They have shown some willingness to correct recurring issues with subsequent manufacturing runs so I'd be inclined to wait until the guinea pigs have had their run at it before considering picking one up. Not to be overtly down on the release, I like seeing any degree of innovation... but innovation without support just winds up with an increased potential of buyers remorse for me.

I've got one on pre-order. But, I'm a bit of a Silverback slag so they could release a steaming poop and I'd still buy one even if it were a wall hanger. Planning on using mine as a DMR, but we'll see how it feels once it arrives. 

Biggest issue for me so far is the battery compartment, or rather the lack of one. It's unable to fit a Titan battery in it, which is a bit of a shame given it's a Bullpup, and usually the space above the barrel is used for batteries. First mod will probably be a battery relocation cable!

I've had a look at it and it's lovely externally if it lives up to the images in feel then I'd be pleased. I just it's stopped on empty, even if it was just an electronic cut off. 

• Supporters

Looks pretty bloody nice.  Seems like a common mag type too, smart.  Looking at how the real one converts to 556 mags I suppose maybe that conversion would be possible here.. maybe.  BB feed of both mag types is right at the front and the 556 mags sit at the front of the mag housing in the real thing.  Can't say anything for sure r.e. viability of moving/changing the catch but doesn't seem out of the realms of being done.

Longbow have had their stock arrive so the pre-orders will be sent out after release day. 

On a side note, Silverback have dropped a load of YouTube instructional videos on virtually everything to do with teching on the rifle. Looks incredible, very simple to work on!

So had mine a little while now. Had it in bits to see what's what and so here's a few things I've come across.

If using the high nub, be very careful when putting the hop wheel back on. Ensure that when you put it on the dotted side (for the clickers) is facing outwards towards to the two shells. If you put the wheel on the wrong way around, it puts a lot of pressure on the bucking, splitting it. Bit annoyed with myself for making a silly mistake there, but let my mistake be your lesson.

Secondly, I looked at replacing the barrel for a decent stainless steel one. Stock brass barrel is actually very good, lovely window. But, with the two barrels I had kicking about (Edgi and Davinci), neither were compatible with the hop unit. The outer 'shells' wouldn't click back in to place with anything other than the stock barrel, and so don't fit back in to the outer barrel. Bit disappointing to be honest. The barrels are all the same thickness so I'm guessing it's the cutouts that are slightly different. 

Regarding the bucking, I put a silicone TNT 60 degree HLR in. Feeds and shoots fine, but power has dropped by about 0.1J, so obviously a bit of an airleak somewhere. Sadly no stock bucking available for spares yet, but I'll try a few more buckings when I get time. 

Other things to bare in mind - when releasing the hand guard screws, there are two Mlok style nuts on the back end of the bolt. Do not unscrew the bolts fully else the nuts fall off and you have to find them!

As to how it shoots? Lovely. Super pleased with it, such a flexible platform. Shame the battery compartment isn't bigger, but I'm probably going to route a cable through the upper receiver and run an external Titan in a PEQ box I think. Not really a fan of Lipos...

Difficult to explain and I've not had anyone else fire it since I've only been back garden plinking. With the gearbox being essentially right next to your head when you cheeky weld, it's naturally going to be pretty damn loud to the user. Suppressor doesn't make much difference as expected. 

As for how it sounds - not all that mechanical to be honest. Gears are pretty quiet, no crunching or banging. Gearbox seems well shimmed and put together.

How she currently sits - well tell a lie, I took the Hex suppressor off and stuck the stock flash hider on to keep the length down. :) 

4159DFC4-138B-4B60-807A-444D0CB0DEBD.JPG

What FPS u firing it at ? Etc . 

Got one on order ATM . Got a edgi barrel for it sitting here  as goona use it as dmr settings with big 5x acog . Also any idea if the battleaxe sr25 pmags fit . 

Cheers 

Just bog standard for now. I’m using it more of a platform to work on than game with for now. 

Most after market barrels don’t fit due to the barrel notches being very slightly different. A lot of after market buckings don’t feed, or get torn up by the nubs, especially the high nub. The stock Silverback buckings are super thick by comparison. Between this and the stock barrel window edges being super sharp, bucking damage is very easily done if you’re not careful. 

3082510C-B897-4B1B-823F-BFC7D2AADD39.jpeg

39F97AA9-D17A-402D-9E03-0F8D77989BC0.jpeg

5 hours ago, Lowe said:

Just bog standard for now. I’m using it more of a platform to work on than game with for now. 

Most after market barrels don’t fit due to the barrel notches being very slightly different. A lot of after market buckings don’t feed, or get torn up by the nubs, especially the high nub. The stock Silverback buckings are super thick by comparison. Between this and the stock barrel window edges being super sharp, bucking damage is very easily done if you’re not careful. 

3082510C-B897-4B1B-823F-BFC7D2AADD39.jpeg

39F97AA9-D17A-402D-9E03-0F8D77989BC0.jpeg

Cheers . 

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.