Safety Touch-up?

LzChase

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

The safety symbols on some of my guns have worn off, where it should be labeled with a white S and a red F there is now nothing. Is there some kind of pen that could handle this task? I've tried a few markers but they don't stick.

25 minutes ago, LzChase said:

The safety symbols on some of my guns have worn off, where it should be labeled with a white S and a red F there is now nothing. Is there some kind of pen that could handle this task? I've tried a few markers but they don't stick.

There are many ways

An easy solution is a paint pen.  Just like a marker pen, but filled with paint

An alternative to that is painting with a brush 

Both of the above assume the markings are raised.  If they are engraved etc then you can do almost the same, but would be filling the engraving which is bound to involve overspill, so you would only do so if you can either mask it well around the markings or can clean it off with an appropriate thinner without affecting the rest of the finish

Depending on the paint it can be possible to clean off with a damp cloth before overspill begins to dry 

If its not engraved or at least etched then no paint will stay for long.

You could buy the 'F' and 'S' letter punches (or a complete set) and once done go over the stamp mark with acrylic pen as Tommikka said.

Edited by EDcase

Both are good tips, although some of them have letters that were just printed on, no embossing or engraving. I can't use a letter punch on them as they have polymer frames that would likely just crack if I attempted it.

13 hours ago, LzChase said:

Both are good tips, although some of them have letters that were just printed on, no embossing or engraving. I can't use a letter punch on them as they have polymer frames that would likely just crack if I attempted it.

With just printed markings that have worn away I’d be inclined to leave it

But you could go for red & green dots if you wanted a visual reference - which would work but not be ‘real’

Art skills would work to be more realistic.  A car type paint would be among the longest to last, but will still be subject to wear

On 06/12/2022 at 10:15, Tommikka said:

With just printed markings that have worn away I’d be inclined to leave it

But you could go for red & green dots if you wanted a visual reference - which would work but not be ‘real’

Art skills would work to be more realistic.  A car type paint would be among the longest to last, but will still be subject to wear

If it’s polymer, I’d be tempted to try the dots on it

A small drill 3mm or so and a small “dimple” made with a dremmel etc

Then fill the dimples with a red enamel paint from humbrol or tamiya 

You only need to go .5 - 1mm deep 

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.