Air Cadets

GunNut
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Looking for some advice here!

I'm considering joining the Air Cadets but some things are really putting me off, like having to do drill (which looks really scary!) and all the hardcore activities. I'm also scared of flying...

Now I think about it, I don't sound too enthusiastic :P

I know quite a few people who go including my best friend and she is constantly talking about how much fun she has doing it, and I think it would be a good laugh. Got a bit of a dilemma going on here...

If any of you guys are in the ATC and want to give me some advice, please feel free!

well i was a air cadet and loved most of it, personally i hated some of the NCO's, but some cadets i worked with were also afraid of flying or shooting, and normally they are very accomodating.

i'd recommend just going for a couple of nights as a civvie to see how you like it.

P.S. drill gets easier as you practice.

there are both good and bad thing about the atc bad things like nco's that think there something and exams but good things like flying shooting and nijmegan (nijmegan greats thing ever)

but to dose look good on your cv later in life

I spent my youth in the royal marine cadets (and yes they are called the royal marine cadets now, 2005 we had a huge national parade and stood about for a few hours while one marine general went around to shake every ones hand) but i digress.

Most of my favorite memory's were in the cadet force, and i would recommend it to any young teenager.

you had your multi training weekends, summer camps spring camps, survival camps, got to use alot of guns, taught field craft, and you will find you do alot of stuff as a cadet aswell, plus you will no doubt have fun with cadet force rivalry (Marines Vs army, lots of fun, worst timing ever on my part)

It really will change you, and for the better, and trust when i say you will have an abundance of fun, and you learn alot of key skills which will follow you though out life.

although you will also learn alot of things while pissing about, for instance how to sneak out of an MOD barracks to get a take-a-way pizza, how to have a ninja cigarette (if you'ra a smoker) with out getting seen by staff, and you will also learn why it is a bad idea to play football in the Mess/barracks......you end up with broken lightbulbs in your pit.

And if the staff are any thing like my old Sgt's then you will always have a laugh with them, during a summer camp in longmore, our mess (about 50 teens) decided to get the matresses and make a ring(boxing) from which we would bet chocolate money drinks fags, and turned out even a few members of staff would even join in on the betting (not fighting ofc)

But either way allc adet forces are worth it, (well maybe not sea cadets they are just boring)

• 3 weeks later...

screw the air cadets they suck my friend has left has thier so sh*t im in the army cadets as a cadet l/cpl its awsome but there also the sea cadets

Thanks for all the advice guys, I thought I'd let you know that I'm joining the ATC in September!

I had my friend teach me some drill so I don't find it scary any more and think the flying will be an amazing experience.

I'm actually really excited to get started now :D

screw the air cadets they suck my friend has left has thier so sh*t im in the army cadets as a cadet l/cpl its awesome but there also the sea cadets

dont forget about royal marine cadets. army cadets are rubbish in comparisons to royal marine cadets....

It's not about the Air cadets. I was in the army cadets, and it seemed so much better. I managed the rank of corporal and if you start talking to people and make friends it is actually quite fun. you gotta shoot guns, and drill wasn't even that bad :) I enjoyed it :D just because something seems scary doesn't mean it is, give it a go and you could be surprised :D

Just pay no attention to those perants who are trying to sue the cadet force for the death of their kid..........only a slim chance you might die lol

Besides In marine cadets you actually had to earn your rank, they didnt give them out like candy bars

Archived