Bouncing Betty

Pollynator_bravo2

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi all - I’ve seen some videos and sites which show a airsoft bouncing Betty style device. Has anyone seen these for sale anywhere. I know it’s a bit of a gimmick but I’m a sucker for that kind of schtick

• Supporters
36 minutes ago, The Waco Kid said:

At last a reason to carry my entrenching took other than for frying eggs.

Although with a name like “enimine” I was expecting Denis Quaid to front it.

01D783BB-C733-4F6B-9B42-85CEB015D3C3.gif.6fc0920eb1a97615180f7af526f54d5d.gif

XS5LK.gif.0734deb4dff8ec40fd6d0384cd971471.gif

21 minutes ago, Pollynator_bravo2 said:

Me too just can’t figure how to buy one

It was a crowd finding product a few years ago, and with being a niche complex product that seems to only be on the internet in promo videos it probably didn’t get very far.

Bad signs are complexity, it can’t be fully buried, it looked like it could not be disarmed (triggered by radar or activated by remote) unless it’s a bad translation the ‘disarm’ mode is to fire it off

Ideally that’s poor translation, it’s fair enough that the gas is charged and would need to be released but you don’t want the only way to deal with projectiles to be firing them.  I would want to be able to disable the radar and to be able to pop in a safety pin or remove the top.

25 minutes ago, Pollynator_bravo2 said:

Yeah this is very true. Always good to see new gadgets out there though. More fun for the sport 😀

Definatley …… and you never know even with failed crowd funding, (except for the ‘pay me to develop my idea’ as opposed to ‘pay up front to get production going’) the videos show that at least prototypes were made and they could ultimately find their way out to the world and eventually sold on

For a not actually bouncing ‘bouncing Betty’ there is/was the RAP4 series, and a couple of other brands.

These did make production, still not a lot as a niche product and over a decade ago, but they could be about.  Spares could be harder to find, but the one with just a round seal is probably findable as a rubber grommet 

I can’t find footage of the ones we used here:

DFA6EA48-1A02-456E-8712-5E92096B8CE4.thumb.jpeg.a52891394bf4a21404edc6bdc62ec55f.jpeg

A real benefit for use is they can be buried rather than just flicking leaves around, however for that event we used our ones plus a stack on loan from RAP4.  All good, except when it came to digging them all up.  We were short, and it was loan ones that were missing (potentialy sticky fingers as ours had markings and the loan ones were clean and fresh anonymous from the box) or sunk into the mud

We had a few follow up sessions with metal detectors, and also over a few months the site were finding them.

I think we ended up with all of them or a couple missing 

All original placements were photographed and Geotagged, but we made the mistake of sending other people to reset and didn’t entirely remember where they were placed —- it’s buried on the path near a bush across from a tree 

It was a 12gram powered one that we used, pop in a 12 gram, some powder and a leprechauns condom.

Step on it and a pin punctured the 12 gram, the tiny rubber condom built up some pressure before bursting a spout of powder

The videos I can find seem to be using refillable cartridge valves like 40mm shells

Traditional ‘plate’ styled mines:

These are similar to the ones we used, but actually has a better safety.  A pin locks the pressure piece so it can’t be triggered when setting up

(I mentioned the potential lack of safe disabling on the bouncing Betty, but our original RAP4s could be unscrewed and rendered safe even without a safety pin)

But a safety pin when setting up would be useful - on our first use one of the guys asked ‘how many turns should I do?’ Just as he made a twist and blew  powder into my chest …. ‘One leds turn than that’

• 2 weeks later...
On 18/11/2022 at 13:35, Tommikka said:

Definatley …… and you never know even with failed crowd funding, (except for the ‘pay me to develop my idea’ as opposed to ‘pay up front to get production going’) the videos show that at least prototypes were made and they could ultimately find their way out to the world and eventually sold on

For a not actually bouncing ‘bouncing Betty’ there is/was the RAP4 series, and a couple of other brands.

These did make production, still not a lot as a niche product and over a decade ago, but they could be about.  Spares could be harder to find, but the one with just a round seal is probably findable as a rubber grommet 

I can’t find footage of the ones we used here:

DFA6EA48-1A02-456E-8712-5E92096B8CE4.thumb.jpeg.a52891394bf4a21404edc6bdc62ec55f.jpeg

A real benefit for use is they can be buried rather than just flicking leaves around, however for that event we used our ones plus a stack on loan from RAP4.  All good, except when it came to digging them all up.  We were short, and it was loan ones that were missing (potentialy sticky fingers as ours had markings and the loan ones were clean and fresh anonymous from the box) or sunk into the mud

We had a few follow up sessions with metal detectors, and also over a few months the site were finding them.

I think we ended up with all of them or a couple missing 

All original placements were photographed and Geotagged, but we made the mistake of sending other people to reset and didn’t entirely remember where they were placed —- it’s buried on the path near a bush across from a tree 

It was a 12gram powered one that we used, pop in a 12 gram, some powder and a leprechauns condom.

Step on it and a pin punctured the 12 gram, the tiny rubber condom built up some pressure before bursting a spout of powder

The videos I can find seem to be using refillable cartridge valves like 40mm shells

Traditional ‘plate’ styled mines:

These are similar to the ones we used, but actually has a better safety.  A pin locks the pressure piece so it can’t be triggered when setting up

(I mentioned the potential lack of safe disabling on the bouncing Betty, but our original RAP4s could be unscrewed and rendered safe even without a safety pin)

But a safety pin when setting up would be useful - on our first use one of the guys asked ‘how many turns should I do?’ Just as he made a twist and blew  powder into my chest …. ‘One leds turn than that’

Awesome. Might have to look out for these see what’s floating around

On 20/11/2022 at 10:46, Rogerborg said:

A spooky ghost?

Great episode. Ectoplasm everywhere lol

E5FF5C19-0D24-4317-8E78-FCF123F6A830.jpeg

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.