TM AK Storm upgrade

Zooankski

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi all

Thought I would share my latest upgraded TM Storm NGRS project.

Fitted a Leviathan V3 optical, Steel F.L.T 5.9mm bushings, Prometheus 18:1 EG gear set, Prometheus spring guide and M95 spring to get power up to around 340fps on 0.20.

I went Leviathan as the option is available for an external input and I used this to operated the bolt stop feature. Using the Gate mosfet was a no go for me as the bolt stop feature simply breaks the negative line to the battery and therefore power removed. Re racking bolt would restore power but then you have a 3 second period where you enter programming mode before you can pull the tigger.

There is not much information around on the Storm and upgrades so hopefully I will get time to write something up as I took photos of most of the process.

IMG_8930 2.jpeg

No mods to the gearbox required other than taking the edge off the cut out that the selector plate moves over, just to avoid sticker damage. The sticker has to be placed slightly differently and as per the image for it to work correctly with the Storm. I am actually going to try and do a full guide as I have a second Storm here to be upgraded and just waiting on the V3 to turn up (they are like rocking horse poop at the moment it seems!)

Biggest headache was getting wiring back through the small channel in the forward section. I used 26 swg wire for the bolt stop signal and had originally heat shrinked it but that proved too wide a diameter. I removed the heat shrink and it went together ok. No sharp edges along the route so happy with that.

Screenshot 2022-11-23 at 00.14.22.png

11 hours ago, JumboTed said:

Looks great, I managed to get a V3 for mine. The Leviathan were sold out but I cant get cycle detection to work with the standard NGRS gears. Any ideas?

To confirm, a V3 but the Leviathan were sold out? So not a Leviathan V3 optical then? I have just completed a second Storm upgrade for a client and again no issues although gears were replaced with a Prometheus EG set. The V3 optical is looking at the cam under the sector gear. If you hold the box up to your eye, you can see if the sensors are in line with it. 

Edited by Zooankski

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.