Can a parent get a UKARA to buy a RIF for you?

Mxtt_6464

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I have been playing airsoft now for about 2/3 years and have been content with my speedsofty red and black custom Tm hi capa. But, I have recently made some new friends at college who play at more outdoor and milsim type places. And being a gear freak who’s always wanted a milsim loadout, I’m looking at getting a new multicam/ranger green kit and a nice tm recoil shock and don’t won’t want to have this gun two toned like my previous. I have convinced my dad to come with me to get his Ukara and he is quite up for playing as we do a lot of different hobbies together including other shooting sports. I was just wondering if it is legal as he probably won’t play much/at all after getting the Ukara. However there is a very very small chance that he may like it and continue playing, but that is probably not going to happen but you never know.

Yes, purchase is regulated by the VCRA and UKARA, ownership isn't. You can legally own a RIF, given as a gift from a parent etc. That being said, there must be no exchange of funds or material. It is a gift, as in a birthday present etc.

• Supporters

If this is your 18th birthday (I assume from 2/3 years + college) then you might find that a local site will give you your a membership (i.e. UKARA) number as soon as you hit 18.  In fact, there's no particular reason why you can't be a member before then, it's just that 18 is the minimum age to buy any imitation, realistic or otherwise.

What @Rogerborgsaid

You’re an existing player, who has played at a site or sites for over 2 years.

UKARA is a central register based on site membership.

On your 18th you are eligible for UKARA and a site can happily use your under 1& games as qualifiers as the intent of the UKARA is to confirm you play / intend to play airsoft 

Another option is to see if your university has an airsoft society ….. or whether you can form one.

Soton university were able to establish themselves as a ‘UKARA site’ enabling members who played at their events on a selection of sites qualified without having to go to only one for the qualifying period 

29 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

If this is your 18th birthday (I assume from 2/3 years + college) then you might find that a local site will give you your a membership (i.e. UKARA) number as soon as you hit 18.  In fact, there's no particular reason why can't be a member before then, it's just that 18 is the minimum age to buy any imitation, realistic or otherwise.

I’m 16 atm but my 17th is in February.

4 minutes ago, Mxtt_6464 said:

I’m 16 atm but my 17th is in February.

In that case the answer to your original question is yes

You will still be under 18 so cannot qualify for UKARA and cannot purchase 

Your parents can, and as a gift is permitted to give it to you

(and scrub my university comments, didn’t read ‘college’ properly 

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.