Have you considered shooting practical pistol competitions?

Elliot9mm

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Have you considered shooting practical pistol competitions?

I just shot a level 3 UKPSA (United Kingdom Practical Shooting Association) AA (Action Air) competition this last weekend at Carlisle Small Arms Club, we had competitors travel from as far afield as Poland to compete, here is a short video of me shooting most of the courses of fire (I forget to turn the camera on for 3 stages D'oh!) using an Aimpro glasses mounted camera, and shooting an ASG CZ Shadow 2.

I even managed to get second place in my "Senior" division, and 7th place overall in "Standard" division

https://www.bitchute.com/video/djmY0hyJEcFZ/?fbclid=IwAR0WoeqtABPZEbLGqrVQVSwgz29lKX4qM7nvDtjCQdVuxsUyuglhWv0ofzU

Yup, did it for a few years at my local site, loads of fun but definitely not worth travelling from Southend to Carlisle for .

Nor watching somebody’s video either 🤣🤣

6 minutes ago, rocketdogbert said:

Yup, did it for a few years at my local site, loads of fun but definitely not worth travelling from Southend to Carlisle for .

Nor watching somebody’s video either 🤣🤣

Well some comps ARE worth traveling for :) 

• Supporters

I'm vaguely interested, but agree with the travelling-to-shooting time equation not working out, nor the money-for-accuracy that I imagine you'd end up sinking into it.

Interesting that the rules require GBBs, I was thinking that a NBB or even (looks around guiltily) an AEP might perform better under those specific close-range circumstances.  I guess they're trying to keep it as realistic as possible.

Just for some clarification Action Air competitions can and are shot everywhere NOT just at Carlisle, it just so happens the last comp I shot was at Carlisle.

The UKPSA is the UK branch of IPSC (International Practical Shooting Confederation), IPSC competitions are shot all over the world using REAL STEEL firearms AND airsoft, here in the UK we are restricted to airsoft pistols, real steel shotguns, .22rf semi-auto rifles/Long barreled pistols, full bore centerfire long barreled revolvers/bolt action/straight pull rifles in England, Scotland and Wales, and full bore pistols in Northern Ireland.

There is nothing preventing anyone from setting up and running Action Air comps at your local skirmish site, gun club, town or village hall, back garden or basement (subject to UKPSA membership/rules if you want to run sanctioned matches and be covered by UKPSA insurance.) 

https://www.ukpsa.co.uk/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1164767277044880

https://www.facebook.com/UKPSA

2 hours ago, Rogerborg said:

I'm vaguely interested, but agree with the travelling-to-shooting time equation not working out that, nor the money-for-accuracy that I imagine you'd end up sinking into it.

Interesting that the rules require GBBs, I was thinking that a NBB or even (looks around guiltily) an AEP might perform better under those specific close-range circumstances.  I guess they're trying to keep it as realistic as possible.

It’s fun, but my local site couldn’t make it work financially. It’s also VERY easy to suck all the fun out of it by taking it waaaaay too seriously.

A buddy of mine helps run the NZ national team interestingly, and even he says taking it too seriously is just plain daft lol

(edit he runs real steel not airsoft comps)

Vaguely interested, but nowhere near enough to go out of my way to try it or watch YouTube videos on it

1 hour ago, rocketdogbert said:

easy to suck all the fun out of it by taking it waaaaay too seriously

This. If you think the squeal team 6 wannabes are bad, just wait till you add a bit of competition 

There is no doubt that you will always get the hyper competitive element in ANY sport, for example this past weekend I was competing against shooters shooting heavily customised £1500.00 Hi-Capa's, while I was shooting a second hand CZ Shadow 2 that cost me £70 from the classifieds here (and I came 2nd in my class and 7th overall), and had a great really fun time doing it.

The bottom line is you can take it as seriously or not as you like, AND if you only hold level 1 matches the hyper competitive shooters won't be interested in shooting them anyway.

A good example of a really fun non sanctioned annual competition was the annual BFTO (airgun club) practical pistol comp at Bisley each summer, one year there was a course of fire where the start position was wearing a set of WW2 fighter pilots goggles and hat while humming/singing the tune to the dam busters before engaging 2 targets laying flat on the ground approaching a barricade (simulating the bounce of the bomb) then a third target with a balloon behind the "A" zone at the base of the barracads/dam. Sadly that competition is no longer being held as the organisers have all moved on to other shooting disciplines (mostly because since they all had to get firearms certificates to keep their Brocock airguns they all got lots of real steel firearms and now host/compete in comps for those guns.).

The point is if you make the comps more about fun, and less about super difficult skill, then that's the sort of competitors you'll attract :)         

• Supporters
7 hours ago, rocketdogbert said:

It’s also VERY easy to suck all the fun out of it by taking it waaaaay too seriously.

Mmm, I can see Range Officer Walt getting a mushroom-chubby on for beeping you in the ear.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.