Decision time... One gun to rule them all

sonofsammo

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I can have one gun (well, maybe two).
Well, on top of all my other guns. But I can't play airsoft with them.
In a fit of pique, I sold everything earlier this year, after I had decide to headbutt a rock, split my head open and break a couple of ribs whilst playing.

However now, I am feeling the need to play again.

I first got into airsoft because I bought an M4 to use with my eldest son in the garden. And after spending thousands and moving onto the real stuff, the cycle has come back around with my youngest.
He wants to shoot and I want to teach him. The garden we have now is perfect.
I would like:
Something to plink in the garden with and teach my son/s
Capable of auto/burst fire

Excellent range & accuracy

Hi cap mags

Not gas, (but not averse to HPA)

Decent build quality

Reasonably light

I don't want a DMR - I want something that comes in under the 350fps limit, but works its nuts off there in terms of range and accuracy.

I like being sneaky - but I had come to loathe the slow fire rate of bolt action, even though I loved my SRS.

I'd like something where I can play sneakily, but can also hit out at range.
I've probably missed some stuff out.
In terms of upgrading, I'm fine working with gas guns, hop chambers, changing barrels etc,  but have no clue at all about electrics.

Suggestions most welcome.

Oh, I forgot - the second gun - a decent small pistol, because my littlest has tiny hands and I'd like to be able to do pistol drills with him.

TIA 😄

TM USP Compact, really fast cycle time, small but decent mag capacity and it’s a TM pistol

The Cybergun SCAR SC is an awesome bit of kit, pricey though

Saigo Defense Ronin and Bushido are extremely compact but still a rifle 

Oh, and the Krytac P90, also very compact, but beautifully built and not an AR

• Supporters

Your title threw me at first, but if I wanted to kit out a diminutive person with lightweight but quality kit, I'd consider the magpul pdr-c for a primary, with a tm G26 as his secondary. 

I've had both (still got the pdr-c), both bought for my son when he was considerably smaller, both were superb. 

Only thing the pdr-c doesn't have is burst fire, but that's easily resolved with a suitable mosfet. 

If really buying for your son I'd suggest letting him choose from a list in the required price range.  He'd get more excitement actually choosing it but give it a few days before making a final decision.

Most of em will perform about the same and can be tweaked if you want more range etc.

As for pistol, I think the WE M84 Cheetah is a cute little one.  The one that comes with extension barrel and suppressor gets it around 350fps!

But again, I'm sure he'll love choosing one.  (Probably a Desert Eagle 😄)

Edited by EDcase

• Supporters

As I said earlier, your thread was slightly unclear, & now even with clarification I don't think there's is anything that will meet all your requirements, I'm still assuming your youngest is a bit on the small side, so what may be ideal for him may be pretty shite for your needs, especially as you've previously owned some good quality kit, anything less may feel a bit "meh" when you skirmish it. 

Maybe a better option is for you to purchase your own dream unicorn gun, & then get a lesser, lighter knockoff copy of yours for the lad, maybe an all plastic sportline type gat, that way minime & yourself will have workable common ground training tools. 

Obviously what you really want is down to you, your previous experience must give you some idea on what floats your boat with regards to model aesthetics & brands ? 

I have been looking at hpa of late for myself aswell. Looking to go down the wolverine MTW, it has the ability once set up right to out shot most things at 1.1j with really good accuracy. 

For pistal not the smallest but is a little on the smaller side is the TM sig p226 its on the smaller side and big enogh as the little grows he wont out grow it so quickly. 

Hear me out:

Cyma P90;

Dedicated Perun FCU;

Novritsch hop unit (yeh, novritsch, I know);

Prommy 6.05 barrel;

R-Hop or rubber of choice;

Internally you have the choice of using 13/12:1 gears and a nice High Torque motor or keep the stock 18:1s and plug a 36k Warhead in, short stroked by 4 with an SHS M100 spring to keep 1J energy;

Finally, magazines, get a nice Laylax box mag, 1x Lonex M4 flash mag and go to town

You're welcome :P

(yes I actually want to build this thing in the near future)

Edited by Skara

14 hours ago, Tackle said:

As I said earlier, your thread was slightly unclear, & now even with clarification I don't think there's is anything that will meet all your requirements, I'm still assuming your youngest is a bit on the small side, so what may be ideal for him may be pretty shite for your needs, especially as you've previously owned some good quality kit, anything less may feel a bit "meh" when you skirmish it. 

Maybe a better option is for you to purchase your own dream unicorn gun, & then get a lesser, lighter knockoff copy of yours for the lad, maybe an all plastic sportline type gat, that way minime & yourself will have workable common ground training tools. 

Obviously what you really want is down to you, your previous experience must give you some idea on what floats your boat with regards to model aesthetics & brands ? 

I think you're right.
Two guns is the way forward. Cheap for him, something else for me.
You'd think I'd have a clue about what to get for myself, but I am unsure.
Aesthetics I'm not massively bothered about - I just want to be able to reach out and hit someone at a decent range and do it a few times so they get the hint.
Sniping is grand, but got fed up of working my arse off for the shot, for them to shrug it off and full auto me back.
I still love the Vector, but the range was never great. 
The search continues...

3 hours ago, Skara said:

Hear me out:

Cyma P90;

Internally you have the choice of using 13/12:1 gears and a nice High Torque motor or keep the stock 18:1s and plug a 36k Warhead in, short stroked by 4 with an SHS M100 spring to keep 1J energy;

Nope. Nope. And thrice Nope.
Not a chance I would have a clue how to do any of that and actually make it work!

Unfortunately my experience is pretty much all with snipers, pistols and some GBBRs, but I'll throw the Cyma SR-25, m14 and mp5k into the mix as AEGs I have experience with.

SR-25 is more expensive, but the platinum internals are really nice and it feels lighter than the m14.

m14 is a great base and mine was fairly quiet out of the box for an AEG, but even just disassembling to get to the barrel and hop unit is a little involved and it's a bit heavier.

mp5k is small and probably more usable by your son than the other two I would imagine

In all of those, all you'd need to do is swap out the hop rubber and nub to get some spicy ranges; could do a barrel change while you're at it, but it's unnecessary. I like Maple Leaf macaron rubbers (70 degree is what I like, but 60 is also good), Maple Leaf omega nubs and ZCI stainless steel barrels.

In terms of pistols, anything TM. 1911 has a small grip.

• Supporters
1 hour ago, sonofsammo said:

I think you're right.
Two guns is the way forward. Cheap for him, something else for me.
You'd think I'd have a clue about what to get for myself, but I am unsure.
Aesthetics I'm not massively bothered about - I just want to be able to reach out and hit someone at a decent range and do it a few times so they get the hint.
Sniping is grand, but got fed up of working my arse off for the shot, for them to shrug it off and full auto me back.
I still love the Vector, but the range was never great. 
The search continues...

Nope. Nope. And thrice Nope.
Not a chance I would have a clue how to do any of that and actually make it work!

A gun that I've recommended many times before is the M14 socom, I have the cyma version but have previously owned the full length tm m14, & Tbh there's very little between them in build quality & performance, but there is a pretty big difference in price. 

Mine is stock, but still performs incredibly well in the dmr style  that I favour, but without higher power that would prevent its use at some sites, plus it means full auto is still usable if that's your thing. 

The other aspect of it which I like, & may be a consideration for your sons plinking/target practice, is the fact it has a traditional shape rifle stock, which is perfect for learning the core skills of marksmanship (as a former RGJ it was more apparent to me), it has to be shouldered properly for the best results, none of this half arsed aiming common with the more modern platforms. 

Whether your son is capable of handling a socom, I don't know, but for not many shekels you could pick up a full length m14, or maybe an ebr ?, & the shorter socom for him, giving you 2 compatible platform's capable of most jobs. 

Worth considering ? 

PS how good is the socom, last time I fielded it I dominated the other team for range & accuracy (just using single shot & .20's), & between games I was asked a few times by younger players "Wot kinda snipers that mate, its wicked" etc lol. 

1 hour ago, Tackle said:

A gun that I've recommended many times before is the M14 socom, I have the cyma version but have previously owned the full length tm m14, & Tbh there's very little between them in build quality & performance, but there is a pretty big difference in price. 

Mine is stock, but still performs incredibly well in the dmr style  that I favour, but without higher power that would prevent its use at some sites, plus it means full auto is still usable if that's your thing. 

The other aspect of it which I like, & may be a consideration for your sons plinking/target practice, is the fact it has a traditional shape rifle stock, which is perfect for learning the core skills of marksmanship (as a former RGJ it was more apparent to me), it has to be shouldered properly for the best results, none of this half arsed aiming common with the more modern platforms. 

Whether your son is capable of handling a socom, I don't know, but for not many shekels you could pick up a full length m14, or maybe an ebr ?, & the shorter socom for him, giving you 2 compatible platform's capable of most jobs. 

Worth considering ? 

PS how good is the socom, last time I fielded it I dominated the other team for range & accuracy (just using single shot & .20's), & between games I was asked a few times by younger players "Wot kinda snipers that mate, its wicked" etc lol. 

After my last message, I went and bought an M4 for the boy. Was cheap enough and with the adjustable stock, he should be fine. Also means my older boy and I can use it too. 

Good call on the M14, now that you both mention it, I remember looking into it before i took a dive, so will start to look at it again. I seem to remember really liking them, so good shout! 

8 hours ago, Tackle said:

A gun that I've recommended many times before is the M14 socom,

If I started over again I would get a CYMA M14 Socom tbh.  My CYMA M14 is my best rif by some way.  Its also one that I use for one game a year.  The long version is too hefty a lump when you have lighter alternatives/are a bit lazy etc.  

• Supporters
20 minutes ago, Tactical Pith Helmet said:

If I started over again I would get a CYMA M14 Socom tbh.  My CYMA M14 is my best rif by some way.  Its also one that I use for one game a year.  The long version is too hefty a lump when you have lighter alternatives/are a bit lazy etc.  

Why wait 😏

https://www.ammodrop.co.uk/cyma-m14-socom-olive-drab-cm032a

• Supporters

Here's a thread mentioning them previously, also mention s a skirmish site they run at Lutterworth ?, anyone know if it's still there ? 

I've only interacted with them in person at AI500 and I haggled a discount on two TM guns I wanted. They were the on-site retailer for both the Citadel in Dover and Flashpoint in Rochdale. Haven't really had any bad experience with them, honestly.

• Supporters
3 hours ago, sonofsammo said:

Would have bought one, but their website isn't taking orders and haven't been able to reach them on the phone...

Has anyone else dealt with them before?

Maybe they're away on a break, I did spot an email address on their contact form, might be the only way to get a response if they're out of the country. 

• Supporters
1 hour ago, Cannonfodder said:

You could also try messaging them on Facebook or Instagram 

Just had a look & tried to buy, checkout temporarily disabled for urgent maintenance apparently.  

Screenshot_20221103_191334_com.huawei.browser.jpg

• 2 months later...

Well just tried to order and same issue. So bought from davescustoms as for some reason they are 30 quid cheaper if you are prepared to wait for 14 days for delivery.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.