How many chances would you give a tech?

rj1986

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

So without naming names or being specific, I've had a rif in with a tech who has a very good reputation.

I dropped off 2 rifles, 1 for a tune up, and a DMR for repairs.

The tune up rifle came back great, shoots nice and everything.

The 2nd DMR came back, pulled the trigger, and dead - mosfet reported an error.

Took it back (about an hours drive each way) and came back with X replaced. Took it home, fired about 0.2 of a joule.

Back to the shop, another replacement to part X.

Took it home, fired it, sounded all types of awful, BB's literally roll out the barrel and the bolt doesn't recoil. In hindsight, should've got them to chrono it in the store.

So now do i take it back a 4th time (3rd do-over) or just cut my losses and try and get them to do a good will gesture refund on the labour?

• Supporters

Do they not test their work ?

If not I think they've used up all their "second" chances, especially given the time & mileage costs you've incurred, which technically you should be able to put a price on given their repeated failings. 

A courteous phone call, backed up by a courteous but strongly worded letter is your next step, indicating your unhappiness with the events so far, & that it's all now on them to put things right within a reasonable time frame, with no further costs or time wasted by you. 

Failure to meet your requests should result in possible small claims court proceedings for ALL costs incurred, including your time & travel expenses, as well as a very public name & shame exercise on all appropriate mediums. 

Its what I'd do, but to be honest I wouldn't have been as patient with them as you've already been, after the first return I'd have torn them a new one. 

• Supporters
1 hour ago, Rogerborg said:

Should they have?

Yep, in much the same way that anybody who touts themselves as a credible "tech" in ANY field should have, but the cynical amongst us knows that in the real world it varies massively, & even more so in the alternate dimension known as Airsoft lol

download (16).jpg

41 minutes ago, EDcase said:

If you go back they'll have to refund a certain amount for your time and trouble but I can't believe you didn't test it there when you picked it up.

Unfortunately, my plans got side swiped on the way down, so had to hurry back for a work thing and just made it by the skin of my teeth

22 minutes ago, Tackle said:

Yep, in much the same way that anybody who touts themselves as a credible "tech" in ANY field should have, but the cynical amongst us knows that in the real world it varies massively, & even more so in the alternate dimension known as Airsoft lol

As mentioned, they did a bang up job on my other rif, and if that had been my only experience i'd be rating them 10/10 and telling everyone about them.

Edited by rj1986

• Supporters

That's a bit like saying you put your car in for 4 new tyres, but when you got home you find only the front tyres are new, the back tyres they replaced with barely legal part-worns, but still charged full price. 

You wouldn't rate them on getting half the job right surely 🤔

33 minutes ago, Tackle said:

That's a bit like saying you put your car in for 4 new tyres, but when you got home you find only the front tyres are new, the back tyres they replaced with barely legal part-worns, but still charged full price. 

You wouldn't rate them on getting half the job right surely 🤔

If they had done all 4 tyres, i would rate them.  But with the 2 tyres I am giving them the chance to rectify it - maybe I'm too nice and forgiving.

We know airsoft isn't an exact science after all, but just wanted to gauge how other people would react to the situation. And obliviously people make mistake - go on reddit and you will see how wrong people get stuff sometimes.

This depends on a few things;
Did they test the gun at all?
- If so, did they test it with YOUR battery/mags? or equivalent to what you'd be using?

Did they charge you for the do-over(s)?
- I would allow some leniency of error, but the fact it was a complete dud? after 2 attempts of sorting it? 
nah

If they've agreed to sort it for free, (maybe a small good-will refund to cover travel expenses?), to clear their name?
Sure.

However, at a certain point, it becomes evident that -just maybe- they don't know what they're doing

Maybe they're just not good at DMR builds?

Edited by -davo-

7 minutes ago, -davo- said:

This depends on a few things;
Did they test the gun at all?
- If so, did they test it with YOUR battery/mags? or equivalent to what you'd be using?

Did they charge you for the do-over(s)?
- I would allow some leniency of error, but the fact it was a complete dud? after 2 attempts of sorting it? 
nah

If they've agreed to sort it for free, (maybe a small good-will refund to cover travel expenses?), to clear their name?
Sure.

However, at a certain point, it becomes evident that -just maybe- they don't know what they're doing

Maybe they're just not good at DMR builds?

My mags and ammo. Will give them the battery as well just to make sure

No additional charges for labour. Part X they did charge for as it was on the way out, but not the 2nd, better quality Part X.

The reason I'm willing to give them a bit more leniency is they do have a very good rep and I've seen examples of their work, so willing to give the benefit of doubt on this final change.

They have agreed to do a ground up rebuild to solve it once and for all.

Edited by rj1986

1 hour ago, Rogerborg said:

6xe81x.jpg

Perhaps, not unreasonably, he does not want to inflame the situation and would rather wait until he gets his toy back in full working order.

• Supporters

Maybe two at a stretch, if the gun worked for a short while but it turned out they just did a mediocre job, assuming they've learnt.  That's basically what's happened to me recently.

Example - I've been going to LC's Engineering for pushing a decade I think, super nice guy and I think myself lucky to call him a personal friend.  He did some AEG internals for me maybe 4-5 years ago, I only used said RIFs once or twice in that time then took them to Luke at Negative a few months ago for more serious internal upgrades.  Unfortunately the internals were quite prematurely worn when he took them apart due to some not-ideal build decisions/tweaks.  As it stands LC's is also about 2 years in to a complete scratch build for me, for which I've slowly been drip feeding him the 'perfect' parts I've been sourcing from literally anywhere and everywhere.  I definitely wasn't going nuclear and just scrapping the whole project, driving to his place and taking all my stuff back.  Since he only put the GB together a few months ago and hopefully he's learnt with further experience but we'll see.  If it doesn't run great then worst case I'll take the parts elsewhere, they're pretty pricey tbh so most will be able to be used again.

I'd give them the opportunity to do the initial work and then if it doesn't work, opportunity to put it right. If they can't put the effort and time in second time round when you've flagged an issue then they don't deserve your customer and deserve a public but fair account of what has happened.

• 2 weeks later...

When I do techy work for players, once the issue is fixed, I would check it a dozen times and also ensure that the user “customer” is happy with the work.  I don’t do it as I enjoy it and I like to help others. This reputation spreads, which is important to me.

That person got really bad service.

17 hours ago, Sneaky said:

When I do techy work for players, once the issue is fixed, I would check it a dozen times and also ensure that the user “customer” is happy with the work.  I don’t do it as I enjoy it and I like to help others. This reputation spreads, which is important to me.

That person got really bad service.

Stuffing as much tactical bacon into the magwell as you can fit is not "tech work" 😉

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.