G&G Armament SGR556 & New G3 Gearbox

marcusr

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

G&G have released this on their youtube channel:

It looks like a very interesting new hop design - I don't like the external adjustment requiring a screwdriver but locking to the front of the gearbox could improve air-seal.

• Supporters

Interesting, yes. Also complicated and proprietary. Lots of innovative features but the "quick change mosfet" suggests they think it might be a consumable part! I like that it does stop on empty with regular mags but I can see the optical sensor failing and causing problems.

It's interesting, I'm not sure about the hop being integrated into the barrel. The power cut feature is something I always want but having it as a light sensor for a game played in the dirt seems odd especially as they have a mag driven version already.

2 hours ago, concretesnail said:

but having it as a light sensor for a game played in the dirt seems odd especially as they have a mag driven version already.

Electronic Paintball guns have been using optical eyes for years (nearly 20 actually) to prevent chopping. The technology is well proven in greasy and dirty conditions, assuming it's been implemented right by G&G.

• Supporters
54 minutes ago, Speedbird_666 said:

Electronic Paintball guns have been using optical eyes for years (nearly 20 actually) to prevent chopping. The technology is well proven in greasy and dirty conditions, assuming it's been implemented right by G&G.

Well, every day is a school day!

1 hour ago, Speedbird_666 said:

Fingers crossed then, even of its just a quick coat of conformal to weather proof it it could be good news then.

1 hour ago, Oneshotscott said:

This has to be better than the g2 cut off I have in my sr15 e3.

I bought 4 of the g2 mags and used them for one game as the damn noodle pops out when empty and is a pain in arse to do a quick refill. 

Time will tell. 

A lot of mags have the long follower now to feed all the bbs. There's a knack to quick loading. I seem to manage OK with the 308 mags.

The video popped up yesterday for me in Facebook, very interesting but it looks somewhat over-engineered to either solve things that common sense can deal with or just better quality components?

I suppose it all comes down to the price, if anyone knows what this may be in the UK?

3 hours ago, concretesnail said:

A lot of mags have the long follower now to feed all the bbs. There's a knack to quick loading. I seem to manage OK with the 308 mags.

Would you be willing to share this knack?  I found that in woodland games (my type of game) dirt ingress was the major concern with fiddling around. 

10 minutes ago, Oneshotscott said:

Would you be willing to share this knack?  I found that in woodland games (my type of game) dirt ingress was the major concern with fiddling around. 

I know what you mean, i dropped a mag in a load of wet plaster board a few weeks ago, yuk.

I found if I hook the follower with the tip of the speed loader then seat the loader into the feed tube the follower gets fed back into the mag.  Trying to do it upside down for the camera is a pain but hopefully you get the idea.

4 hours ago, Fatboy40 said:

I suppose it all comes down to the price, if anyone knows what this may be in the UK?

It's G&G - so my best guess is 'fucking expensive'.

Their product pricing is absolutely mental these days.

I guess you'd be able to do it with a winding one, if it has a spout protruding, like a universal adapter for the odin loaders.

Proprietary parts galore, what happens if you keep the gun for several years and they've stopped making that hop unit etc.

Also needing a tool to adjust the hop, seems like a step backwards.

The gearbox looks like it could have potential. Seems almost like an ICS system.

The barrel and hop up seems like it could be a problem true.  Certainly wouldn't be in a rush to be an early adopter.

• Supporters

I'm disappointed, got all excited to see what an SGR was ?, 

Turns out it's just another AR variant with tweaks, just what Airsoft needs ffs ☹️

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.