Stuck on choosing my first AEG

Hazza

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I'm stuck on choosing my first AEG as I'm looking for both Special Forces and/or Firearms type of gun. 

I've been looking at the specna arms g36c and their core M4s as they are both within my price range. 

Quick note I'm looking for something that will fit well with a full face mask and be good for both CQB and outdoor play.

Hi and welcome to the Airsoft asylum 🤪

Specna make some good guns( not a fan of the g36 style) but the edge and core series are well made,in my opinion,and good value for money.

By firearms type of gun I take it you mean realistic? The majority of Airsoft replicas are pretty much toy versions of the real steel versions.

I find full face masks tend to interfere with sighting so don't use them but by using a high mount for sights it makes it easier with face protection.

Have you joined an Airsoft club or are you just looking at the moment?

It's best to go for a gat that you like the look of even if it's a g36 lol 

Regards 

I took firearms to be armed police , in which case a G36 works. Or you could go for an MP5 . I've goy 2 JG ones and they are so much better than they have any right to be at the price they are. Mine get used in a woodland site and I never feel outgunned, also ideal for CQB.

• Supporters

Agree, if your going an aru style loadout, a g36c fits almost everything & while they're not everyone's cup of tea, it's a very sturdy platform & don't think I've ever heard anything bad about any of the brands. 

To be fair, most platforms have been used by various plod forces, I even remember when the City Of London Police had Steyr Aug A2's, so lots of options. 

• Supporters

Yes to the G36C.  Solid gearbox, QC spring, decent iron sights, I find it works better than an M4 with a full-face mask, especially if you're comparing optic-vs-optic, and worst case you can fold the stock.

V3 triggers aren't great, but you get used to them.  Against that, you can fit something like a Perun AB++ without even opening the gearbox.

Specna G36s are (early pre-EFCS) ARES/S&T clones - they use microswitch triggers. They don't last a long as traditional trigger switches (although a debounce enabled Mosfet will help) but are easy enough to replace. From the sample of 1 I've had eyes on - the plastic on the Specna is much nicer than JG/CYMA, more 'polymer', less ABS feeling.

And remove the blowback shuttle - they are made of cheese and will break quickly (same with the ARE and S&T guns)

Very comprehensive review here

G36s just don't get enough love these days - a shame really, they are the only non-M4 gun I really like in terms of ergonomics.

• Supporters
3 hours ago, Pseudotectonic said:

G36C mid-cap mags which ones are good?

Dunno, I have a couple that don't feed well.  Rather than digging that hole any deeper, I fitted an M4 magwell adapter, and use M4 / Stanag mags.

Both should be good but personally I'd go for the Specna with electronic trigger (it'll be a basic mosfet but still good) and quick change spring (check reviews of how easy it actually is)

Plus it comes will all the rails in case you need em.

The Specna is also a tad heavier so will feel a bit more beefy

Whichever you go for, first clean the barrel with the cleaning rod (that should be included) then give it a good test to make sure it all works as it should.

Edited by EDcase

• Supporters

I have the Jing Gong G36C, so can't comment from experience.  From owning CYMA and Specna Arms M4s, and looking at the specs, the Specna has more features, but the CYMA has less to go wrong.  If you're buying the CYMA from BBgunz4U (or similar) then there's a small risk that it might come in at over 1.2J as standard, regardless of what they claim.

Either one should be fine, or fairly easily made so, it's really down to your preference and tolerance for risk.

If it were my money, and at £130 for either, I'd lean very marginally towards the Specna, just because of the QC spring.  I'd expect the EBB to be a gimmick that will work for as long as it works.

19 minutes ago, EDcase said:

Both should be good but personally I'd go for the Specna with electronic trigger (it'll be a basic mosfet but still good)

No mosfets in Specna G36s (OP was asking about the SA-G12 model) - just a microswitch which is not actually rated for the voltages/current that it will experience during Airsoft use.

• Supporters
45 minutes ago, Speedbird_666 said:

microswitch

Do we know if it can be replaced with a £5 V3 trigger unit?

If so, and given the QC spring taking the stress (literally) out of gearbox disassembly, I might still just very marginally lean Specna.  But the CYMA - bought from an actual UK airsoft retailer - is likely to just work and keep working.

11 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

Do we know if it can be replaced with a £5 V3 trigger unit?

If so, and given the QC spring taking the stress (literally) out of gearbox disassembly, I might still just very marginally lean Specna.  But the CYMA - bought from an actual UK airsoft retailer - is likely to just work and keep working.

If you are talking about a standard V3 Switch/shuttle assembly then no, I don't think so. The gearbox shell is not a standard V3 from what I can see around the switch area.

A simple cheapo Gate Nano-ASR (which is micro switch compatible with it's debounce function baked in) will remove the electrical stress on the switch though - it *should* significantly improve the life of the unit. Problem is, by the time you've paid £17-20 for a Mosfet (and not botched the install), you are only a few quid away from a better class of gun overall (i.e. Double Eagle etc.).

image.png.182edf81fb8f2e5e586f19b922d7aff6.png

image.png.cae9aef353dca4166b9756cd49dda4a4.png

So - if I was buying a G36 for myself, I would opt for the Specna just for the better quality plastics and with the intention of stripping/lubing/shimming/mosfet etc from the outset.

But for a first AEG? Hands down JG/CYMA IMHO - from reputable dealer than chronos their guns before dispatch.

1 hour ago, Speedbird_666 said:

No mosfets in Specna G36s (OP was asking about the SA-G12 model) - just a microswitch which is not actually rated for the voltages/current that it will experience during Airsoft use.

Oh, that's disappointing then

I've got an ASG SLV36, which I believe is very similar to the JG ones. Great platform to start with and as above, probably my favourite non M4 style AR.

It sounds like you haven't played too much though, have you tried renting an AEG at your local site and seeing what you like?

Hi & welcome.

I played last week at my local CQB and their rentals are Specna Core CQB Carbines - not sure if that's any use whatsoever but hey, it is what it is.

If it's indoor CQB with poor light make sure you get something railed for a torch (the rental I was using wasn't). In terms of working with a full face helmet, I believe that'll be more about how you position your sight (risers etc) rather than the weapon itself but there are plenty more knowledgeable than me here who will no doubt be happy to correct me (every day's a school day).

I've been looking at Specna for my first AEG too and if you're looking for something with a mosfet installed there are options available but they're not your favoured AR36. That said, in my searches I've found various maintenance parts and the microswitch triggers aren't exactly expensive, although you'd need to be confident to take it apart. I've also had a brief look at other AR36's and didn't come across one with a mosfet fitted out of the box so you might want to look at the offerings from Gate / Perun but again they'll need fitting and you'll be voiding your warranty when you open the gearbox, some retailers offer to fit them for you but all this puts the price up.

In terms of being good for indoor & outdoor play then the only real difference is going to be barrel length and therefore accuracy at distance. A CQB rifle is simply shorter to make it more manoeuvrable. You could get around this by getting a longer barrel and using a mock silencer to hide the fact your inner barrel is now longer than the outer, I'd doubt you'd be the first to do as such too.

3 minutes ago, Madhouse said:

the only real difference is going to be barrel length and therefore accuracy at distance.

image.png.4a8f980f8130b5a234f3079a7f276150.png

Patently incorrect.

Perhaps you should do a bit of research on the topic. There's plenty of threads knocking around on these very forums about the variable of barrel length in relation to overall accuracy.

7 hours ago, Speedbird_666 said:

Patently incorrect.

Speedbird's right, but thinking MOAR BARREL = BETTER PEW is a logical thing to think (and I think excusable to the point where 'patently incorrect' is a tad harsh)
It just doesn't work out like that in the wild world of airsoft.

At short-ish range my TM Hi Capa pistol shoots as accurately as many of my rifles, but the list of reasons for that 3" barrel performing as well as ~10" barrels in the other guns... is long and varied.

1 minute ago, RostokMcSpoons said:

(and I think excusable to the point where 'patently incorrect' is a tad harsh)

Perhaps I was a tad harsh - but this isn't reddit - incorrect information needs to be stomped on quickly and firmly.

And the subject has been covered ad nauseam - I couldn't be arsed to type out the same old bollocks about it.

Next time I'll try to slightly nicer about it. 😉

I'll put in a vote for a JG G36, even though you didn't shortlist it. My mates one ran for far far longer and far far better than it had any right to considering the total lack of maintenance he provided. To the tune of 5+ years he only ever cleaned the barrel and it just kept on trucking. 

Have you considered pouches yet? I know G36 mags can be bulky, and they have the locking lugs sticking out of the side. Most people seem to use single pouches from what I've seen, pouches designed to have two M4 type magazines together often won't fit two G36 mags. Just something to bear in mind when choosing kit. 

Welcome to the forum mate.

• Supporters
30 minutes ago, Hazza said:

I have looked at the JG and I am considering it as it seems quite good

They're fine. Not magical, and sadly it looks like they've dropped the adjustable spring tensioner which is very handy for fine tuning power.  Robust, a bit prone to semi-auto locks ups with the stock motor - the V3 trigger doesn't help here.

Really, any G36 should be fine, it's more a question of what's in stock at the moment.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.