Airsoft Defence Information Sheet for public transport inspections

Pseudotectonic

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I have written a piece of A4 for when someone is stopped on public transport e.g. on the Tube. The idea is anyone can print this out and tie to your toy gun to make sure the copper is well convinced on the fact that it isn't illegal.

This is probably my paranoia but knowing I have something to show on paper would probably calm my nerves a little with an RIF in my bag travelling on the Tube. Call it a LARPlicense or whatever but essentially just a piece of paper to tell the copper my UKARA number and hopefully prevent any miscommunication from happening and smoothens out the process.

Below is a draft, would appreciate if any of you more familiar with the law can point out any mistakes or any changes you would make. Also please suggest a different name cos this one's a mouthful. Airsoft Defence Form?

Airsoft Defence Information Sheet

FAQ

What is this Information Sheet?

This Airsoft Defence Information Sheet is an unofficial paper prepared by players of airsoft for quick reference on the basics of legality of airsoft in general, and to provide a convenient record of personal information required for checking on the UKARA system by any inspecting officer.

What is an airsoft gun?

An airsoft gun is not a real firearm. It is a type of replica toy gun for use in a recreational sport of airsoft skirmishing (a game that is similar to paintball), commonly held at a skirmishing club or site, where third party liability insurance is held in respect of the activities. By legal definition, airsoft guns fire small spherical plastic bullets (called BBs) that are not dangerous when used in the appropriate setting.

Is airsoft legal?

Yes, when conducted properly, airsoft is perfectly legal and is regularly enjoyed by many thousands in the country (and throughout the world) who travel to and from various game sites to play the sport in a lawful manner. In the UK, there are some laws and regulations surrounding the airsoft gun, namely the Violent Crime Reduction Act 2006 (VCRA) which mainly deals with the sale and purchasing of airsoft guns; and the Firearms Act 1968 (as amended by Policing and Crime Act 2017) which defines the technical requirements of “airsoft guns” to put them in a special category which is exempt from the Act.

Can airsoft guns be transported in public?

Yes, but only in a way that does not cause distress of affray in a public space. When packing always disconnect batteries and magazines. Airsoft guns are considered RIFs (Realistic Imitation Firearm) and can be easily mistaken as real firearms by an average person, therefore any airsoft gun should always be transported inside a suitable bag or container so that it is not readily visible. Airsoft guns should never be openly carried for display in public. There should be a reasonable purpose of transport, such as traveling to and from a game site or any other reasonable activity associated with the hobby.

What to do when stopped by police?

Be honest and answer any questions. Remind the officer that you have airsoft guns or Realistic Imitation Firearms in your case and would prefer not to open your case in a public area as to not cause any unnecessary distress. If necessary, present a copy of this Information Sheet to the officer to help clarify the situation.

How can a person demonstrate he is a legitimate player of airsoft skirmishing?

The individual may register to become a member of their chosen game site, and upon fulfilling some requirements become a registered skirmisher at UKARA (United Kingdom Airsoft Retailers Association). UKARA shares the database of registered skirmishers with the member retailers allowing verification that a purchaser is allowed to buy an RIF under the VCRA skirmisher defence. The UKARA system can also be accessed on an individual look up basis by the UK Boarder Agency and Hampshire Police in relation to imports. (Data is accessible to the administrator and programming technical staff.) If the person is not registered, records such as site booking reference, airsoft related social media posts or photos may also help to confirm that the person is an airsoft player or hobbyist.

Key personal information

Name:
UKARA number:
Registered game site:
Game site contact details: (Address and phone) (Stamp of game site)

The VCRA and UKARA have nothing to do with owning a rif, just sale, manufacture and importing. 

Just keep them out of sight and unloaded. If you are stopped by police just be polite, courteous and if they do ask you to open the bags explain what you're carrying, why and that you're happy to, but to do the search somewhere out of view from the public

Remember, with any interaction with law enforcement will have a worse outcome if you fail the attitude test. 

Tuat being said I've been playing since 2004 and have never had any trouble using public transport, even travelling through central London

Yeah I know it has nothing to do with VCRA directly but it is more of a fancy write up to reinforce the impression of "everything is very legal" to an unknowing officer. In part because I don't trust their judgement very much even in the best of circumstances (and so in the very unlikely event of being dragged to court I can say, I had shown this to the officer) even if I did everything correctly and politely and perfectly and so on.

In part because I want to have a piece of paper "mock-license" filled with somewhat relevant info, even though it is more of a pamphlet or some sort of a prop, a "realistic imitation carry license" to accompany a realistic imitation firearm, if you will.

You wouldn't end up in court though (assuming you weren't actually doing something illegal). Also a random bit of paper you printed out at home would be meaningless. 

I think you're being overly paranoid. Just use your common sense and you'll be fine. 

• Supporters

You're right to be careful and prepared, but this seems a bit wordy.

The VCRA isn't relevant at the point where you're stopped, and neither is it being a realistic imitation (we've seen a conviction for an orange day-glo half-sized springer).

The offence is Firearms Act 1968, Section 19, public possession of an imitation firearm.

All you need is a "reasonable excuse (the proof whereof lies on [you])".  But you do need that.

So what I would stress is to always be able to show where you're going with it and why, i.e. site information and ideally booking details.

"Look at meeeee!" cosplayers are forever getting caught brandishing their bangers, and despite receiving forbidding fingerings from the Fuzz, they generally go on their way after Words of Advice.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.