Lens protection

Mad dog 49

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I'm just picking one of these up shortly but, if anyone else uses one or something similar, what do you use for lens protection on it when it flipped to the side?

Screenshot_20220906-195736_Chrome.jpg

That's a slightly trickier proposition than the usual scope tube, but I'd give Red Dot Engineering on eBay a shout, as they've made some very good sight protectors for a range of hardware.
The lenses are polycarbonate so they're not "sacrificial" they're properly BB resistant.  And they 3D print the lens holder - typically it's slightly elastic material which looks decent and won't fall off.  

And they're not expensive.

Example protector for 'Amazon special' red dot... £10
image.png.d254bde8d6fc8fb21626e8caf134637b.png

Edited by RostokMcSpoons

18 hours ago, Lozart said:

Get a flip to centre mount instead. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003198854663.html

That is a nice bit of kit and a great suggestion thanks. I'm not sure it will do the job for me though, I'm mating the magnifier to a Nuprol 553 holo, so in the down position it may interfere with the main sight.

• Supporters
1 hour ago, Mad dog 49 said:

That is a nice bit of kit and a great suggestion thanks. I'm not sure it will do the job for me though, I'm mating the magnifier to a Nuprol 553 holo, so in the down position it may interfere with the main sight.

Yeah, it would.

Unless you get one of THESE!!!! https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002927264614.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.74b19742uE22in&algo_pvid=425a9737-e4aa-45c5-b90d-c441b99d0ebf&algo_exp_id=425a9737-e4aa-45c5-b90d-c441b99d0ebf-3&pdp_ext_f={"sku_id"%3A"12000022838830873"}&pdp_npi=2%40dis!GBP!18.25!8.22!!!4.56!!%402100bdf116626370926615899e823c!12000022838830873!sea&curPageLogUid=o3ZUTt0dDEgg

I am more than willing to help ANYONE spend way more than they need to in order to fix a simple problem ;)

Now you are just being ridiculous, a whole £8.22 extra, not sure I can stretch to that! Thanks buddy, much appreciated. :D

Okay, now I've got all that sorted and the magnifier is mounted and aligned, how do you guys get a clear picture with a lens protector on the holo? 

Assuming you mean justbtheough the optic, not the magnifier at the same time.

The lenses I've had from red dot engineering have all been very clear. Make sure you've taken the film off both sides of the lense.

If you mean through the magnifier as well then there might be some blurring of the reticle as it's close the magnifier assuming the magnifier is focus for a particular depth of field, though I'd hope it has a focal adjuster built in to it.

Edited by concretesnail

Yes mate, I have a lens protector on the holo, no lens protector on the magnifier. No matter what focal length, focus or distance between the magnifier objective and the holo I set, with the holo lens protector in place, the picture is blurry as all hell. Take off the holo lens protector and it is clear as a bell.

I'll check to see if there is a film on the lens protector though.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.