Thoughts on YT channel Negative Airsoft

BigBell1987

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I enjoy this guy's videos and I'm curious what forum members thoughts are on his knowledge, I'm not interested in people's opinions on his personality as that's subjective and he already appeals to me in this regard and I'm hoping the people who do reply are tech savvy themselves so as to avoid the blind leading the blind.

To me he comes across as no bullshit and prefers simple upgrades while maintaing a purist mostly keep it stock and just choose a good system in the first place approach which appeals to me being new to the game and not so affluent but my lack of experience also means one knows not who to trust, he openly admits that many people dispute him but that just makes me trust him more. 

Thoughts please techies and tinkerers?

When it comes to airsoft youtubers he's definitely one of the better ones. No clickbait made up bullshit or trying to make out he's the airsoft equivalent of Jason Bourne unlike certain others

19 minutes ago, Cr0-Magnon said:

He thinks you're a cunt.

I'm good with that lol he's not far wrong we all have one in us, me perhaps more than most.

Watch his video's you will learn a lot. some wont agree with everything he does and say, but my tinkering experiences match his and at least he tells it like it is

I still own some VFC's and Ares though!

Straight talking and no BS. What's not to like?

I also like that while he's willing to tell you what's a load of junk, he won't recommend anything because it's just not worth the hassle. Apart from maybe a Gate Warfet, he does seem to think they're worth the money.

Strikes me as open and honest, and I enjoy his presentation of whatever does. 

Similarly to madmole, my experiences of opening and working on rifs seems to mirror his opinions.  I also still own an ares rif, though only one. 

I've really enjoyed watching him, and have learnt a bit (not quite enough to be able to replicate his work!)

The only slightly worrying thing is he used to make a video, and then a couple of videos down the line he'd make a comment along the lines of "I snuck that in to fool you, bet you never noticed", so perhaps some of it is designed to hoodwink the techies who are stealing his ideas or business, and consequently you can't 100% trust every word!

• Supporters
20 minutes ago, RostokMcSpoons said:

The only slightly worrying thing is he used to make a video, and then a couple of videos down the line he'd make a comment along the lines of "I snuck that in to fool you, bet you never noticed"

"And then James May repeated the words of my brother from over forty years previously. Meccano put deliberate mistakes into their instructions to encourage young minds to find their own engineering solutions. And creeping up behind me like an unwelcome proctologist, the sense of betrayal returned."

Thanks for input gents, seems in this game there's very few perfect rif choices straight out of the box and some tinkering disregarding general servicing is almost inevitable regardless of whether you spend £300 or £1500 on the initial purchase (perhaps more so on the £1500 varieties), that in mind I like his approach of swap out the problem factors only as oppose to update the whole gun, especially with my budget, although it seems sometimes upgrading one part creates a need for numerous other parts in order to work well together or avoid one stripping the other etc.

If anyone has other YT characters with this kind of standpoint feel free to list them here so I can add them to my watch list as I'm absorbing a lot at the minute and it would help me avoid wasted watch time, money and cementing bad information.

15 minutes ago, RostokMcSpoons said:

"I snuck that in to fool you, bet you never noticed", so perhaps some of it is designed to hoodwink the techies who are stealing his ideas or business, and consequently you can't 100% trust every word!

Yeah I noticed that too, he said everyone lies to you even me, "I do my best to sneak a lie into every video to see if you can spot it" or words to that effect. Appreciate the heads up.

5 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

Good read, thanks!

• Supporters

when he's not intentionally trolling with the sneaky internet "facts", he does know his stuff. certainly he's on a short list of names that'd add value if i saw it in a classified ad.

it's worth remembering though that his approach to certain topics is that of a professional tech, someone who's being paid to put in a better standard of work than most folk could do at home.

for example his stance on ptfe tape to seal cylinder heads is based on it being messy and unprofessional. this is true, and you'd expect a professional to do a proper job.

but if it's your own gun and you're not worried about the next guy who has to work on it then it's one of those bodges that does actually work.

I would happily send him my guns, he has done some tinkering on pistols and mags for me back in the days of the Mall when I was a regular player and he was upfront and honest

On 06/09/2022 at 13:54, Rogerborg said:

Can't stand all the headshots.

image.png.e0760041c073944f7f85737f71801228.png

If all you show is your head, fair enough but I am of the opinion and its a pet hate of mine, if you have a large visible centre mass and you intentionally shot for the head, then you're a c*nt, end of.

Had this at NAF22 with Bravo Team all shots were to the eyes and one player, a sniper took an eyepro shot and I called him out for the w*nker he was as the shot came through some light cover, not enough to obscure view of my shoulder and chest. Something I never apologise for is calling out assholes.

He is one of the better Airsoft YouTubers and you can learn alot from him too. I have enjoyed his videos and enjoyed him in person when the mall was alive. So much so that just a few months back I had him DMR my G&G 308 MBR and it is a blast to use. So enjoy watching him and enjoy his work.

3 hours ago, Lozart said:

Groin shots are just a dirty, people intentionally shooting for the groin. Had this at a couple of sites. People who do that are ass holes as well.

Luke's last video is of him installing an Eshooter Kestrel electronic trigger unit.   It didn't go smoothly.
Normally I'd take that as a sensible warning to stick with the Peruns if I ever feel so bold, and leave it at that.

But... another video popped up on my feed, from someone who was doing a sponsored review (so can be taken with several shovels of salt).  However this chap pointed out a bunch of things in the instructions, followed them, avoided the pitfalls Luke had fallen into, and came out with a working gun at the other end of it.  
Of course any 'dramas' would have gone missing in the edit, I'm sure, but still the fact Luke's more gung-ho "I know this stuff, I'll chuck it in" approach might have meant he'd had more problems than he needed to.
(I'd still stick with a Perun over the Kestrel, naturally)

As for working on fixing one of my many broken / partly malfunctioning guns - I suspect I wouldn't actually use him as 
(1) he has a famously long waiting list to get stuff done
(2) he'd absolutely rip the piss out of me on camera for my attempted fixes etc and I couldn't cope with the embarrassment ;)

I'd entirely trust him to keep working on a gun until it operates properly though.

57 minutes ago, RostokMcSpoons said:

Luke's last video is of him installing an Eshooter Kestrel electronic trigger unit.   It didn't go smoothly.
Normally I'd take that as a sensible warning to stick with the Peruns if I ever feel so bold, and leave it at that.

But... another video popped up on my feed, from someone who was doing a sponsored review (so can be taken with several shovels of salt).  However this chap pointed out a bunch of things in the instructions, followed them, avoided the pitfalls Luke had fallen into, and came out with a working gun at the other end of it.  
Of course any 'dramas' would have gone missing in the edit, I'm sure, but still the fact Luke's more gung-ho "I know this stuff, I'll chuck it in" approach might have meant he'd had more problems than he needed to.
(I'd still stick with a Perun over the Kestrel, naturally)

As for working on fixing one of my many broken / partly malfunctioning guns - I suspect I wouldn't actually use him as 
(1) he has a famously long waiting list to get stuff done
(2) he'd absolutely rip the piss out of me on camera for my attempted fixes etc and I couldn't cope with the embarrassment ;)

I'd entirely trust him to keep working on a gun until it operates properly though.

Was there anything in that video about getting the gearbox to close or the selector plate not covering sensors? It still seems like excessive work when there's so many drop in mosfets for cheaper. 

I did enjoy his utter confusion at the mag button, where it stated the button was for magazine functionalities, and yet he had no idea what it was for 🤣

13 minutes ago, Badgerlicious said:

Was there anything in that video about getting the gearbox to close or the selector plate not covering sensors? It still seems like excessive work when there's so many drop in mosfets for cheaper. 

I did enjoy his utter confusion at the mag button, where it stated the button was for magazine functionalities, and yet he had no idea what it was for 🤣

Yes, the instructions made it clear there'd a hole needing to be cut into the gearbox to ensure the circuit board would lie flat (due to a bluetooth sensor sticking out on the reverse side), to allow the gearbox shell to close - something Luke pointed out a couple of times wasn't happening before he sorted it.

So yeah definitely not a 'drop-in' job and the "not recommended" conclusion seems justified.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Supporters

I watched for something like a year-ish and decided to drop in 3 AR AEGs for him to upgrade.  Far as I can tell his bread and butter is internals and specifically AR/M4/M16 family V2 AEGs and I own a good few from the days before anything decent came with a mosfet.  I've done them up externally long ago to how I wanted them but I'm just not interested in AEG internals, so it seemed to make sense and he's not too far from me.

Only slight downside is I'm in a rather unpredictable line of work (especially this week) and once he starts working on whatever RIF you've given him he'll be sending quite a lot of messages/short videos and asking questions etc through the process, and right now I don't actually know when I'll have the free time to be able to get on my phone at any given moment.  If your schedule is more consistent though it's a pretty big upside really, you can give feedback and make budget decisions as the work's being done.

Whether his way of upgrading AEGs is 'the' very bestest way... meh, I don't think there is one.  Airsoft is a cottage industry, it's simply not big enough of a business such that there are universally proven best ways to squeeze out the best reliability/performance and tolerances are all over the shop with these cheap parts.  What these guns are not is F1 cars or military jets where people with doctorates are 3D modelling airflows around every component, weighing every milligram and timing every system to 1/100000th of a second because people's lives and £billions are hanging in the balance etc etc.  Arguing on the internet about filing gears and X69 vs Y96 hop rubber is stupid.

Just to stick my two pence in, I sent Luke my M14 a couple of years ago. I fell into the classic trap of not really using it before deciding I wanted to DMR it, so sent it to a local tech, and, being honest, it was a cluster from the off. Not only did I not want a DMR as it really doesn't suit how I play, but the work done on it was dogshit. Locked to semi eh? So how come when I put a battery in the gun in the safe zone, it'd dry fire on auto?! That made me popular!

I asked Luke to basically turn it back to it's original state, and to add a MOSFET. Throughout the process he was really informative (as @TheFull9says, you get lots of updates, voice messages and videos) and came across as a thoroughly decent and honest chap. He had to change a couple of parts, basically because the original tech was a mong, and his advice was always based on getting the best return for your budget. 

The gun came back and was fantastic, and is the one gun I've since sold that I wish I'd kept hold of.

Edited by C-Diddy
Typo

• Supporters

Can't remember exactly when I bought this gun originally before embarking on my external mods, I think it's pushing 9 years or so.

Being a very very run-of-the-mill V2 AEG AR I didn't think he'd record it but there we go.  No I didn't do any work to the insides myself nor did I know what was in there, I never look inside my guns 😂

Liked the vid of him playing at Spartan Airsoft he’s posted recently, amusingly with a tongue-in-cheek click bait title.

In reality it’s just a load of people enjoying their hobby and having a laugh, which is how it should be.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.