Will a gear change result in pre-engagement?

marcusr

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi all, I'd like to make some upgrades and want to know if I'll need to make other alterations.

I currently have a G&G CM16 SRL. Only relevant gearbox changes are a high torque (22 TPA) motor and a sector delayer chip. I'd like to swap out the stock gearset for a 12:1 or 13:1, but I'm concerned I'll cause pre-engagement and need to shave a tooth off the sector gear. I don't currently have the tools available to do so.

Does anyone have a similar set-up and know if this is likely to cause pre-engagement and piston wear issues?

Thanks

Have used a 14:1 gearset with similar motor in the past with no ill effects. Another variable, is what type of battery are you using with your set up? A stick 7.4v lipo might run for a gearbox for an extended period of time while a beefy brick 11.1v could implode the thing. 

On 23/08/2022 at 22:24, marcusr said:

Ah so I'm using an 11.1v 1500mah 15C battery - don't know where that sits on the battery spectrum. I also forgot that there's an M110 spring in there which could be relevant.

What fps are you getting with the M110?  Technically that should put you over the limit.  Worth looking into. 

11 hours ago, ak2m4 said:

What fps are you getting with the M110?  Technically that should put you over the limit.  Worth looking into. 

Hi ak2m4, love your site!

I get ~310 with 0.25 and ~345 with 0.20, so just within my site limits. Does this suggest air seal issues?

Edited by marcusr

I can't remember the last time I worked on a CM16 before so I can't be specific but in general a M110 should be getting you around 360fps with 0.2g.  It could also be the brand of spring.  If it's a cheaper one or older might have lost it's power in which case nothing to worry about.  Running a M110 won't cause too much issue though, it's just something to be aware of.

It's the gearparts M110 from your site, and had about 3000 rounds through it, so pretty new. I get +/- 5fps between shots so I think I might need to fix air seal. Got the stock compression parts apart from air nozzle.

3 hours ago, marcusr said:

It's the gearparts M110 from your site, and had about 3000 rounds through it, so pretty new. I get +/- 5fps between shots so I think I might need to fix air seal. Got the stock compression parts apart from air nozzle.

Ahhh right, yeah it's if one of those then it'll be bang on.  My M110 has done 500,000 and still at M110.  Could be one of many things buddy, air nozzle is a good place to start, also make sure no clogged vents on the piston head etc.  

What's the inner barrel length and the cylinder type?  

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.