boots/footwear for airsoft,

LiamOT21

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

been weighing up a few options for footwear for airsoft and so far my options are tied between viper venoms, some kinda steel toe work boots or maybe something from magnum like the panthers, thought id just see what people run and have the best time with or even see if someone might already run something from the mentioned ones.

My son and I are both using Bundeswehr issue Haix Commander boots; they are tough and give good support.  I bought two unused surplus pairs for £58.50 each.

Both my walking boots and playing boots are the same, worn them for years and are still as good as the day I bought them, Altberg defenders. 

You can find them new for sub 100 or super grade 1 surplus for around 45-50 quid. 

Full leather boot, great ankle support and  meaty tread.

I'd strongly recommend whatever pair you buy, you try them on first. Easier said than done nowadays, but a trip to Cotswold outdoors or blacks would be sensible.

Your footwear can have a bigger impact on your morale than you'd initially think. 

I think the right pair is the pair that fits you the best and that will mean spending a bit more cash, ultimately though these won't just be something you wear for Airsoft so hopefully you can justify a bit more. 

I'd also suggest thinking about the type of sites you play, regular at the trees or other very rugged sites and you'll need proper boots, leather, waterproof (like althergs,akus) etc. Some sites can get away with light weight/minimal ankle support (merrels, lowa zephyrs). 

Emergencychimps has hit the nail straight on the head. Fit is everything. I'd spend in footware much readily than the latest kit, and a good pair will last and be versatile so you can wear them more.

As above:

Support & comfort.

They must be suitable for the terrain, and hold your ankle together.

But the fit also needs to be good to minimise you losing your footing (If say you normally allow for chunky socks and insoles but go out one day in normal socks then you foot may move a fraction inside the boot which is hardly noticeable until you are on uneven ground and stumble)

Then can you spend all day in them?  You want something ‘solid’ and flexible in the right places, but you don’t want something that is going to make you feel like you have lead feet by the end of the day.
I’ve worn most forms of footwear on fields, excluding stilettos but including sandals.

Out in the woods = Classic old school Doc Martens, British Army old issue boots (before the browns), steel toe capped work boots and many walking boots.

Indoor / urban = I have sometimes gone for a pair of soft boots, similar to Converse but even thinner soles.  A degree of ankle support if you could call it that, excellent grip on concrete, but anything uneven on the ground and they get like it was barefoot

Good grass / Astro turf = For photography where I may kick into a momentary sprint I have Adidas astro football boots, and Exalt cleats. The Exalts have sets of replaceable  cleats for ‘optimum grip’, and also very flexible soles - great for maneuvering on grass but I can feel gravel stab my feet on the paths

For quite a while I was wearing the real brand of these knock offs:

65249D0F-F90C-4204-8B3B-E2AA35C83015.png.fe628b8e9ed5984c8bf61de728037728.png

These ones come from a few Hong Kong outlets for very little £s, which makes me very doubtful of them.

But my ‘proper’ pair served me well for a few years until the stitching on one of the panels was suffering and I offloaded them to a team mate

(Edit after the cogs have been ticking away - mine were Magnum Spider Multicam boots)

(Edit part 2 - I forgot to elaborate on the sandals. It’s a terrible idea to wear British army sandals for a Vietnam themed game on a dry July day picking up grit on the soles of your feet and slicing your ankles in the undergrowth)

5B4DBCBA-ECD9-42DE-B82F-14A7C309D1C0.png.844e645ad4d4849e452b69cd1b43292d.png

I have strangely sized feet, and normally have to choose between sizes 12 & 13 depending on the cut of the style, and recently had to go up to 14 for some Berghaus hiking boots.

I’ve actually bought those for long durations of standing rather than walking in the wilds as support when I had a foot issue earlier this year, but they are my go to boots for anything other than day to day use. 

Edited by Tommikka

I wear a pair of mid-height Merrel walking boots and they've been perfect for comfort, support and durability. They also do a good job of not making your feet smell. 

My boss was talking them up for years and now I'm a total convert to the brand.

Viper double zip multicam.comfortable and very hard wearing. Good ankle support and you can tie them as tight as you want and because of the zip they are easy to get on.

Good grip as well.

Regards 

Cant go wrong with Salomons. I buy from sports direct/decathlon as they normally always have a sale on - when they do I pick up at least two pairs which 9 times out of 10 equates to the normal price of one pair. Below are what I wear which are the Salomon forces but I use them for all out doors stuff not just airsoft so were a worth while purchase and the only difference being is that mine have the speed lace system.

Echoing the above always try them on and make sure you buy to fit, I know that sounds stupid but buying off size will for the most part end up with either an uncomfortable wear or blisters/ankle problems from slipping.

If you are on a set budget I would look at Karrimor, Altberg, Addidas or even Regatta. My suggestion would be to stay away from anything "surplus" military as for the most part the are generally heavy and clunky but do lend themselves to being more weather proof than your run of the mill off the self brand. "walking boots" generally come in a trainer-esk material these days and have differing levels of weather proofing but are a hell of a lot more comfortable than the leather boots I have seen some wearing while still offering ankle support from the high winged sides.

Boots are another thing that a large number of people will throw you suggestions of what to wear but as long as they offer ankle support and fit generally you cant go wrong and again the best advice is to go to a local outdoor shop and try things on. 

SALO-407231-001__38421.jpeg

I wear German para boots and have found them to be comfy and hard wearing. This is especially important for me as I wear them for work too

However, as others have posted, footwear is a very personal thing and what works for one may not for someone else  so try to get to try them on before you buy

3 hours ago, clumpyedge said:

Cant go wrong with Salomons

Some Salomons have quite a narrow fitting, I had some of the ultra gtx range and my feet were in agony by the end of a skirmish day. yet I used the Salomon 4d quests for about 3/4 years of hard use and while the waterproof goretex failed early on, they were comfy. 

• Supporters
1 hour ago, Emergencychimps said:

the waterproof goretex failed early on

Sad to see that the Gore-Tex "lifetime guarantee" now has more caveats than promises.

2 hours ago, Cannonfodder said:

wear German para boots and have found them to be comfy and hard wearing

I'm still eking out my 2nd set of British army boots with Gore-Tex lining, which are solid and totally waterproof - tested in lashing gales in Highland peat bogs, and biking in all weathers.  However, they are heavy, and the price has crept up and up to the point where I wouldn't necessarily recommend them for LARPing in the woods.

5 hours ago, Rogerborg said:

Sad to see that the Gore-Tex "lifetime guarantee" now has more caveats than promises.

I'm still eking out my 2nd set of British army boots with Gore-Tex lining, which are solid and totally waterproof - tested in lashing gales in Highland peat bogs, and biking in all weathers.  However, they are heavy, and the price has crept up and up to the point where I wouldn't necessarily recommend them for LARPing in the woods.

Yes, the Gore-Tex guarantee now seems to expire as soon as you put the boots on.

For serious walking, I use issue Iturri CWW boots; they are utterly solid, completely waterproof and very comfortable, but quite heavy.  I would not use them for airsoft as they are far beyond what is needed.  My son swears by his issued Defenders for walking.

However, for outdoor sites, I do think a good, solid pair of waterproof boots are essential, which, for me, means leather boots and either Graingers Waterproofing Wax or Altberg Leder-Gris.

Edited by colinjallen

We had a thread about boots not too long didn't we?   I can't remember the recommendations for light-weight (i.e. "CQB sensible") boots, they're what I'm in the market for now...

edit: Here's the thread  and here are the lightweight AKU boots I'm gonna buy

Edited by RostokMcSpoons

2 hours ago, Emergencychimps said:

Some Salomons have quite a narrow fitting, I had some of the ultra gtx range and my feet were in agony by the end of a skirmish day. yet I used the Salomon 4d quests for about 3/4 years of hard use and while the waterproof goretex failed early on, they were comfy. 

Yeah some are narrower/wider than others which is why I have tried a lot of different styles before buying, the gortex issue I just top up with an off the shelf spray on or wash in water repellent. I would never personally want 100% waterproof as you'd end up with not only feet that smell like a bin but also not great for general hygiene either if not washed out/looked after.

1 hour ago, RostokMcSpoons said:

We had a thread about boots not too long didn't we?   I can't remember the recommendations for light-weight (i.e. "CQB sensible") boots, they're what I'm in the market for now...

edit: Here's the thread  and here are the lightweight AKU boots I'm gonna buy

I use the AKU pilgrims as everyday footwear when I am not wearing a suit.  They are great boots, very comfortable, reasonably sturdy and probably ideal for indoor CQB.  However, I would not trust them very far over rough or difficult ground.

The only thing that a couple of us have found with them is that the insoles seem to be designed for people with supinated (high) arches and can be uncomfortable for those with neutral or hyperpronated arches.  However, insoles are easy to change.

For light use, I would also recommend looking at the Iturri patrol boots.

Mil-Tec's got a shout for being good value... these multicam ones for £62 at Amazon (so easily returnable if they don't fit) might be worth a go

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mil-Tec-Mens-Boots-Multicam-multicam/dp/B00DSOJOI4/ref=sr_1_6

Vietnam jungle boots for me. Once broken in they are like trainers. But they do need braking in well before a game. 

Failing that magnum's are great hard wearing boots. 

• Supporters
18 hours ago, Jan Pawlowski said:

Since I'm not a pro, I use some kind of cheap Chinese boots for it.

That's the thing, your feet don't know you're not a "pro".

On 16/08/2022 at 07:57, clumpyedge said:

Boots are another thing that a large number of people will throw you suggestions of what to wear but as long as they offer ankle support and fit generally you cant go wrong and again the best advice is to go to a local outdoor shop and try things on. 

This is the best advice here. You have to go with what fits YOU, not just what someone else recommends. After hearing how Lowa boots are the best thing ever I finally caved and bought a pair of Zephyr GTX boots. Everyone said they shouldn't need breaking in and that they were like slippers from the first day. After wearing them around the office for a day mine left me with numb toes. TRurns out that wide, supinated feet with a very high in step do NOT work well with Lowa Zephyr GTXs.

I have personally found Merrells to be very good (ie comfortable and acceptably waterproof). I've had Sawtooths (ally as fuck but quite heavy), two pairs of MOAB trainers for just walking about when it's a bit wet and currently have a pair of MOAB 2 Tactical Response GTX zip side boots for the BB warz. Conversely I know plenty of folks that won't touch Merrells and that they fall apart after a few uses.

The one caveat I'd add to @clumpyedge's suggestion is that there is really a minimum I'd expect to pay for a decent boot that will last for at least a year of semi regular use, cheap chinese stuff may well be made in the same factory as the better branded kit but I can guarantee it won't be subject to the same design constrictions or QA. If you want value, get to Go Outdoors and get their discount card (which is about a fiver a year if I recall) and spend the same budget getting better boots at a discount. Great boots won't make you a better airsofter, but bad boots can ruin your day!

Go Outdoors have a sale on ... Link to sale page  so that's a good shout.

There are some nice looking boots that are cheap (£50-70) and will look respectable outside of a pew-pew scenario, so yeah might take a wander to try some on.

These look very nice for £69 and even inspired this as a review - poetic, you might say even a bit Haiku-like :D 

"Very comfortable.
That good.
I bought 4 pairs.
For future.
I have tried many boots.
For the price.
Brillllant."

Three L's in "briliant".   So instead of mentioning cherry blossoms, he's channelled a bit of Fast Show instead.

image.png.0f43e9c027a345ac92a30b33a3d53e2e.png

Edited by RostokMcSpoons

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.