Jump to content
Airsoft Forums UK

Airsoft thoughts?


 Share

Recommended Posts

What do you guys think of airsoft because I’m starting on the 20th of August and would love to hear feedback and stories from your airsoft experiences!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

It's a very silly and ludicrously expensive hobby played by overgrown kids who take it all far too seriously.

 

It's also great fun if you don't take that description of it too seriously.

 

You'll have a huge adrenaline hit from your first couple of games, so I'd rent first and put off making any purchases until you're sure that you're going to stick with it.  The classifieds are full of what we might call "Renters Remorse" packages from people who bought early and then realised that the long term reality is a bit different from what carefully edited YouTube videos will show you.

 

This isn't to put you off, just a cautionary note about enjoying it for what it is.

 

Complete agree with everything in this comment! 

 

If you objectively look at pretty much any hobby, it can be silly and expensive, pointless etc. 

 

Football - watching 22 over paid blokes run about kicking a ball, what does it actually achieve? Oh wow, x/y/z team won etc. 

 

Hiking - wow, walked up a big hill and down again, saw some lovely sights.....well there are lovely sights you can see from car parks etc. 

 

Ultimately its all on whether you enjoy it, we're all only alive once and at the end did you make the most of your journey. 

 

From airsoft, I have had a reason to walk through some pretty amazing sites, get dropped off by a rhib in the dead of night to perform a tasking, perform dawn raids on target buildings listening to chatter on the comms between the "apache pilot" and ground based aircraft controllers followed by pyro and lighting effects, stayed awake for far too long on stag in woodlands with my mates ripping the piss out of each other, watched the sun come up over afghan style villages, broken contact from far superior forces using appropriate tactics, set and executed a variety of ambushes, crept through buildings trying to be super sneaky (both in the dark and daytime) taken out callsigns 3 times my squads size through little more than applying some grey matter.  

 

I've also shot that guy in the grey sweat pants and he hasn't called his hits, had days of where I just wanted to sell all my stuff and never attend again.

 

When I look back over the 10 years or so of me doing airsoft, there are some great memories, great friends, special times etc. it's not all perfect, it's not for everyone. 

 

If you look at the number of new players vs how many of them are still playing in 6 months to a year, not getting giddy, excited and buying all the things is a sensible recommendation. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Wow, just read @Emergencychimps post there.  I'd add the cautionary note that I've never had any of the first set of awesome experiences, but rather more of the bullet-proof teens in joggers... and yet I'm still "gripped" (and indeed "sorted", for Fast Show aficionados) by the damned thing.   

If you like the idea of messing around with military stuff on the cheap (relatively speaking!) then there's fun to be had even when you're not actually pew-pewing at people.
I've got a collection of guns that have me given me pleasure in spite of the fact I've only fired a few hundred rounds through 'em in the back garden since May... I'm easily pleased, it seems. 

Anyway, enjoy yourself :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, RostokMcSpoons said:

Wow, just read @Emergencychimps post there.  I'd add the cautionary note that I've never had any of the first set of awesome experiences, but rather more of the bullet-proof teens in joggers... and yet I'm still "gripped" (and indeed "sorted", for Fast Show aficionados) by the damned thing.   
 

 

I did about 5 years of doing weekend events every 3-4 weeks along with regular skirmishing. Lots and lots of weekend events - have quite a few cool stories from it but they are massively outnumbered by the "yeah, it was an ok event, nothing super special", thankfully they also outnumber the poor hit taking and the "I just want to quit and sell it all" moments. My last weekend event was around October 2021 (kids!)

 

For context 

 

get dropped off by a rhib in the dead of night to perform a tasking (stirling airsoft, the sandpit around 2015/2016), perform dawn raids on target buildings listening to chatter on the comms between the "apache pilot" and ground based aircraft controllers followed by pyro and lighting effects (tier one, stanta - around 2013), stayed awake for far too long on stag in woodlands with my mates ripping the piss out of each other (Stirling airsoft, the trees, the valley, the sandpit, caerwent, multiple times!), watched the sun come up over afghan style villages (Stirling Airsoft, stanta, around 2014), broken contact from far superior forces using appropriate tactics (Stirling Airsoft, Spain, around 2016/2017), set and executed a variety of ambushes (Stirling Airsoft, Sandpit, trees, caerwent, numerous times), crept through buildings trying to be super sneaky (Stirling airsoft, catterick loads of times, urban assault night games) taken out callsigns 3 times my squads size through little more than applying some grey matter (Stirling Airsoft, the trees around 2017).

 

There are a bunch of other highlights but

 

The more memorable ones really stick out because they aren't run of the mill, it's involved hours and hours of travelling (including to Spain) to sites and probably 100+ weekend events plus skirmishes. Getting to Catterick is an 8 hour round trip for me and I have probably done it 20-30 times and even then, you could do Catterick 5 times and not get any experiences that are stand out (like above) or aren't much different to a standard skirmish. Sadly some of these sites aren't even operating anymore. Ive done countless skirmish days that I now can't even recollect. I dread to think how much I have spent on this hobby.....

Edited by Emergencychimps
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Rogerborg said:

It's a very silly and ludicrously expensive hobby played by overgrown kids who take it all far too seriously.

 

It's also great fun if you don't take that description of it too seriously.

 

You'll have a huge adrenaline hit from your first couple of games, so I'd rent first and put off making any purchases until you're sure that you're going to stick with it.  The classifieds are full of what we might call "Renters Remorse" packages from people who bought early and then realised that the long term reality is a bit different from what carefully edited YouTube videos will show you.

 

This isn't to put you off, just a cautionary note about enjoying it for what it is.

That’s exactly why I’m trying to buy from this site! 😁

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Supporters
3 hours ago, Rogerborg said:

It's a very silly and ludicrously expensive hobby played by overgrown kids who take it all far too seriously.

 

It's also great fun if you don't take that description of it too seriously.

 

You'll have a huge adrenaline hit from your first couple of games, so I'd rent first and put off making any purchases until you're sure that you're going to stick with it.  The classifieds are full of what we might call "Renters Remorse" packages from people who bought early and then realised that the long term reality is a bit different from what carefully edited YouTube videos will show you.

 

This isn't to put you off, just a cautionary note about enjoying it for what it is.

 

True post is true.

 

Its a game that when you get a good site, good weather and a good crowd can be an amazing experience that'll leave you happy, exhausted and broke in equal measure.

 

Sadly like any competitive game there's those who's objectives centre more about "winning" at the cost of sportsmanship and it doesnt take many creative implementers of game mechanics to spoil the fun for all.

 

If you approach it from the right frame of mind with the goals of just having fun doing something that's realistically pretty stupid but with like minded people then it's a decent sink for your time, energy and cash.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Many wise posts...

 

Adding to the advice to rent at least the first game before buying a pew pew (I know its tempting):

You may not enjoy it (remote possibility)

But also you'll get a feel of the action which will help decide what kind of BB spitting toy suits your play style. ie long or short.  Select fire (common assault type weapon) or full auto monster (support LMG) as a couple of examples.  You'll be able to see the plethora of toys others are using and maybe have a go with some of them if you ask nicely 😉

 

Basically its the same advice starting any sport or hobby,  don't rush into buying stuff and play it cool 👍  (...and call your hits 😄)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Some days I am an unstoppable killing machine where even a cursory glance at a bush results in 10 crys of HIT!!! 

Other days I get an absolute beat down never seeing where it came from. 

 

Both of them are just as fun to me. I like a good fight. 

 

The one thing about airsoft is its not pay to win. Some of the most fun I have had is with a cheap trishot shotgun. 

 

Feel free to wander around the safe zone and look at other people's kit. Most players are more than happy to let you give it a try :)

Last time I was at dragons lair I was passing around the M60 to rental players so they could have a blast. 

Edited by THE CHIEF
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, THE CHIEF said:

Some days I am an unstoppable killing machine where even a cursory glance at a bush results in 10 crys of HIT!!! 

Other days I get an absolute beat down never seeing where it came from. 

 

Both of them are just as fun to me. I like a good fight. 

Days? Ive bounced between being John Wick and a bb sponge from one game to the next, but had just as much fun. 

2 hours ago, THE CHIEF said:

The one thing about airsoft is its not pay to win.

Definitely. Whilst winning is a nice bonus, it's not that important. Some of the most fun games I've had I've been on the receiving end of an arse kicking

Edited by Cannonfodder
Typo
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Jan Pawlowski said:

The one story I can tell is that it's very expensive. I want to buy this and that for myself, but my job is not enough to pay for all of it.

I'm sure a crack habit would be cheaper 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

55 minutes ago, Jan Pawlowski said:

The one story I can tell is that it's very expensive. I want to buy this and that for myself, but my job is not enough to pay for all of it.

Like a lot of hobbies, you decide your level of engagement and how expensive you want to make it.

You could get kitted out from scratch for <£200 and go out and have a fine old time.

 

Not that fools like us do this of course, but we *could*...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Supporters
13 hours ago, Floperator said:

Not that fools like us do this of course, but we *could*...

 

I did!

 

(and then I didn't)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, Jan Pawlowski said:

The one story I can tell is that it's very expensive. I want to buy this and that for myself, but my job is not enough to pay for all of it.

Have you been looking in my bank account ?


I had a concerned moment mid July when I read my bank balance ….. “Where’s all that money gone?”

Then I remembered …. I’ve bought this and that, commissioned a number of custom items plus spent a lot of time in London with the accompanying social life …..  and August will be much better …. Until the 2nd of August, when I received photos of long standing limited edition custom design pre-order and had a balance to pay …… 

 

 

But I’m going to give one of Julys custom things an outing on Saturday and pick up Augusts custom on Sunday …. And of course buy accessories

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, Tommikka said:

Have you been looking in my bank account ?


I had a concerned moment mid July when I read my bank balance ….. “Where’s all that money gone?”

Then I remembered …. I’ve bought this and that, commissioned a number of custom items plus spent a lot of time in London with the accompanying social life …..  and August will be much better …. Until the 2nd of August, when I received photos of long standing limited edition custom design pre-order and had a balance to pay …… 

 

 

But I’m going to give one of Julys custom things an outing on Saturday and pick up Augusts custom on Sunday …. And of course buy accessories

 

 

 


Ahhhh,

The good old days,  living on Beans on Toast for a few weeks will sort you out financially  .

wouldn’t want to be down wind of you though!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Enid_Puceflange said:


Ahhhh,

The good old days,  living on Beans on Toast for a few weeks will sort you out financially  .

wouldn’t want to be down wind of you though!

…. And curry pot noodles

….. however I cancelled a hotel the other day, and my pre-payment had been by credit card. But as I had already paid off the credit card I now have over £400 in credit on my credit card.

That won’t transfer back and will sit in credit. So I’m going to just have to spend my credit credit 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, Tommikka said:

…. And curry pot noodles

….. however I cancelled a hotel the other day, and my pre-payment had been by credit card. But as I had already paid off the credit card I now have over £400 in credit on my credit card.

That won’t transfer back and will sit in credit. So I’m going to just have to spend my credit credit 

 

Perfect Logic 😂👍

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 17/08/2022 at 19:10, Cannonfodder said:

I'm sure a crack habit would be cheaper 

 

Yeah, I'm pretty certain of that.   I mean, at some point you probably say "I've had enough crack today, I'll just have some cake instead".  Airsoft offers no respite.  There's always another range of guns to buy.  I'm buying guns much, much, much faster than I'm actually attending skirmishes 😕  

MP5 next on my wish list.   And then one of them FAL GBBRs would be oh-so-nice...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This sums up life for me.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing..."
George Bernard Shaw
Gonna have good and bad days if you're having more good than bad days and enjoy it stick with it. Its not cheap and I can always find things to spend money on, most I don't really need but  its the same with most hobbies.
 
 
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Supporters
2 hours ago, RostokMcSpoons said:

 

Yeah, I'm pretty certain of that.   I mean, at some point you probably say "I've had enough crack today, I'll just have some cake instead".  

 

Yeah....that's not how crack works.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...