120 or 30 rounds mags ???

CON10R

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Apart from renting with high caps, I have only played with lower amounts. My first rif was an MWS so 35 rounds. I have 6+1 in the gun at start. Mostly I have played indoor CQB which I find I never run out on a 20-30 min skirmish. Recently I played my first woodland game where the games are much longer and I found I had to really conserve ammo and not use full auto. I left my loader at base just incase. Next time i play woodland i will use my evo of which i have 5+1 70 rounders. I like the lower count and having to reload and hit bolt release etc in the heat of the moment. It adds for an intense experience. It's all down to what you want out of it. That's the beauty of airsoft l, the variety of play styles to suit. Personally I never feel out gunned in any situation running 245 rounds in a game. 

Go for 120 round mags.  I run a NGRS SCAR H, (90 rounds mags) which I have thought about switching the magazines to 30 rounds.  

But…..

Your in a woodland, terrain gets in the way of “that shot”

Rentals with hi cap mags spraying around!

Even with six mags only with 90 rounds, I very infrequently go though three mags.

You will come across a game when you will run 30 rounds and think, “If only I had more bb’s in that mag, would of got that person/objective”.

Each to their own.

Depends entirely on where you are playing and who you are playing against. 

Firstly. If you are using lower capacity mags. Up your ammo weight ( along with the required hop to make that work ) .

A woodland game vs other people running ammo limits. Yes It can work. Unless it is a VERY VERY built up site, then it is painful trying to land a shot through the brush.

A woodland game vs normal airsofters. You are going to get destroyed

CQB vs ammo limits. Yes all day :)

CQB vs normal airsofters. You are going to get destroyed. 

I spent Friday running around with 5 x 40 round MP7 mags at at Pistols and Shotguns day. Great times.
I would not do the same event vs the normal players all running mids and highcaps. Single fire or not. 

The one kill you get will be satisfying. The rest of the time. You will be suppressed and then dunked on.

Always run my mags at 30 rounds for my AEG M16A1, even at skirmishes because I'm dumb and love to put myself at a disadvantage. That being said though, I usually have 13 magazines on me so it's not a major issue.

I run pts mags at 120 in my tm416, purely cause I'm a rubbish shot and I need all the ammo I can carry lol.

Being serious though, as others have said, in a woodland game against "normal" and hire players I've been out shot by sheer volume of plastic, so 120 rounds is thr minimum I would run.

Milsims however I switch to 30 as ammo limited and people pick their shots more.

I usually carry 10 100 round mid caps for my kurtz but I've never used more than 5 in a game. However, I have played skirmish gameswith just a gbbr with 2 mags and a speed loader and managed to do ok, you just have to adjust your style of playing. As others have posted, stick to hit and run tactics and avoid drawn out firefights. 

As a side note I've always thought the mag capacity doesn't make the player. A perfect example was many years ago when I was a newbie in the game, some twat in the safezone started mouthing off calling me a high cap hero etc (wierd as he was basically the only one not using high caps) . I asked him how many rounds he was carrying and it turned out it was the same as me, just in more mags. At the end of the next gane he's gobbing off about how he was down to just his pistol so i decided to politely show him the 2 full mags I had left. He didn't talk to me for the rest of the evening 

12 hours ago, Cannonfodder said:

As a side note I've always thought the mag capacity doesn't make the player. 

While true. Two players of equal skill. More rounds down range, will 9/10 win. 

I use hi-caps just because I can't be arsed to carry around 7/8 (or 10!) mags, in fact I might reduce my loadout from 3 mags to 2 because I rarely go through even half a mag in a single game. The vast majority of the time I keep it in single shot mode, in fact on Sunday I only switched to full auto once.

• Supporters
6 minutes ago, Floperator said:

I use hi-caps just because I can't be arsed to carry around 7/8 (or 10!) mags, in fact I might reduce my loadout from 3 mags to 2 because I rarely go through even half a mag in a single game. The vast majority of the time I keep it in single shot mode, in fact on Sunday I only switched to full auto once.

#MeToo

I'm exactly the same, always single shot so a couple of hi-caps will last most of the day, only run minimal rigs so less mags means more options for carrying water etc. 

Thanks for all your input guys!

I'm playing this Sunday and going to try all my mags at 30 rds plus a 90rd speed loader to see how it goes.

I do want to get used to smaller capacity as I plan to get a gbbr in the future.

I will update yous all after Sunday how I found it 😎

3 hours ago, CON10R said:

I do want to get used to smaller capacity as I plan to get a gbbr in the future.

Palpatine Star Wars GIF - Palpatine Star Wars Emperor GIFs

So update ran all my mags at 30 rds today and loved it, 1 game I ran out of ammo but I forgot I had a 90 Rd speedloader on me and if I had a sidearm would have the extra ammo aswell.

In total 664 shots fired today made me pick my shots and play alittle more tactical.

Definitely think I'll enjoy GBBRs 

17 minutes ago, CON10R said:

So update ran all my mags at 30 rds today and loved it, 1 game I ran out of ammo but I forgot I had a 90 Rd speedloader on me and if I had a sidearm would have the extra ammo aswell.

In total 664 shots fired today made me pick my shots and play alittle more tactical.

Oh you'll definitely love GBBR's  ! 

Played a game of CQB yesterday with a pair of mags coupled together and 2 speed loaders, it was great!

Never felt outgunned, quick reloads, no kit and I just loaded the mags on the way back to spawn or topped them off when it was quiet.

17 hours ago, CON10R said:

I don’t own a GBBR, but will have a go at reducing the mag capacity for my NGRS SCAR H. Sounds like it was more immersive. 👍🏾

Edited by Sneaky

I really enjoy low/mid-low cap that you get with GBBs, having to worry about your current mag capacity, or even organising partially used mags within your rig is an additional level of the game if you're into it, and in fights, for CQB at least you're not really at a meaningful disadvantage, what I really dislike however, is that you end up spending a lot more time in the respawn topping up every mag / gas in order to go back out fully loaded, versus if you just had an AEG where you rarely even have to top up in-between lives. 

Glad you enjoyed the lower round count and reloading.

A habit I began when playing gbbr was to drop a bag in the respawn area with a collection of magazines.

Rather than refilling the empties, for a quicker turnaround, drop the empties and load up in the full ones. 

It's still something I do now when playing with aeg low caps. It's a lovely convenience. 

• Moderators

i use low caps, i think they were 40, sometimes i fill my 120 mid caps with around 30ish ,for more realistic play as tbh i never fire loads anyway, im not trigger happy 😆....explains while i still have 15000 odd bbs' left!!

taking my son soon, will give him a high cap so i can see that 15000 odd going in a few weekends!!

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.