120 or 30 rounds mags ???

CON10R

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

So I'm wondering what do people prefer using 120 or 30 rds.

I have 6 PTS mags for my TM ngrs mk18 and I was using then in 120 rds mode but found myself never really using more than 2 & half mags in a game, I have decided to switch mine to 30 rd mode and see if I like the more realistic mag sizes now while playing.

Has anyone else done this ???

• Supporters

I think main reason a most of players using mid caps don’t use 30rd’ers is at most open scurmish days your at a disadvantage to the casual players using hi-caps and even the rentals running around with their shitty site AK and a 600rd hi-cap spraying all and sundry left right AND center ! 😳

I did it, but I was practicing for when I got my MWS and that only has 35rd magazines. For the most part it's an impractical way of playing, but I do prefer it. Then again, I like playing the scout sniper role, so it suits me fine; I don't get into firefights even when using a normal rifle. Ambush, then fade away is my typical method of play, so running around with 30rd magazines isn't that big of a deal for me. However, as has been said by @Druid799, you will just be outgunned in any firefight you enter into if you're using low/real caps.

Really it's down to personal preference. Mechanically it sucks, but if you prefer it then you prefer it.

30 rounders for me, sounds silly but I enjoy having to reload and “work the gun” as if where.

Agree with the above though, it’s not entirely practical when your getting hosed down by rentals and HPA speedy boys.

• Supporters

Yup agree with you both I’ve been running mids for yrs much more an enjoyable experience having to change mags in-game(but with the caveat of at the end of the day when I’m on my chinstrap I’m often seen on the field with just a gun and a hi-cap !🥵)

I usually load mine around the 60 mark so I’m not totally disadvantaged but still have the additional pressure of needing to watch my ammo .👍

I always used 120 rounders. 

Recently been using a mp7 with 40 round mags and loved it, so switched my ngrs to the stanag mags and 5 instead of 6 and found it was more enjoyable for some reason. 

Ultimately with the mp7 I have 200 BBS loaded, with the stanags it's 400 BBS and this vs 720 I was running. 

A big part of that is like has been mentioned, working the gun, doing reloads, checking mags for whether you're nearly empty. At a recent gunman filmsim I reloaded 3 mp7 mags by hand, no speed loaders, as per the rules which surprisingly added to it all. 

Foliage stops BBs.  In woodland a 30 round mag is useless.

Having said that, I'm doing a real cap battlesim next weekend... 

For a general game day I would go for 120 or even more.  Simply because that's what most others will be using against you.

If doing a film sim day then I would consider 30 because that's what many will use and the focus is more on realistic combat.

If you don't use that many rounds in a normal game then of course you can use 30 rounders to get a bit more mag changing action 😁

Edited by EDcase

Being somewhat limited in ammo capacity does make you pick your shots, which adds something to the game. I just found myself wishing everyone else was doing it!

However that said, I don't think it makes sense to say 30 rounds is "realistic"

1) BB's are of course nowhere near as accurate (or travel as far etc) as real steel rounds.

2) In most real firefights, you're not shooting at anywhere near the amount of targets or so close.

My big issue is I have 6 PTS mags so that's 720 rounds and in a game I used like 1/1.5 - 2/2.5 mags then before next game restock so I'm never getting to use all my mags and when I buy a pistol with let's say 2/3 mags it wouldn't be used as much.

That's what got me thinking that it will make me reload more and use what I have on me 

Try it and see how it feels, though it'd be worth doing over a few games or events to get a real feeling for it.

• Supporters

no real right/wrong answer for this.

personally i prefer mid caps in 90-140 round range, a bit more ammo to make up for the issues of wind/leaves etc but still has reloading as a factor compared to just having a box mag etc.

but if you wanna change up the dynamic and try running them on lower capacity why not, especially if you don't need to buy a whole new set of mags to do so.

• Supporters

All of what we do is LARPing, so sure, if you enjoy it, it's the right choice for you.

However, completely running out of ammo is going to put a bit of a damper on that game[*], so I'd agree with having a way to reload or a backup hi-cap tucked away somewhere.

[*] On the few times that's happened I like to play Pop Up Pirate to draw incoming fire - they don't know that you're out.

3 minutes ago, CON10R said:

Thanks for the input guys

I think I'll test a few games running all mags on 30 and see how it is, if I do run out mid games I'll maybe change 1 or 2 back to 120 

Just keep them set to 120 and load 8 or 9 pumps of the speed loader; gives you around 30 rounds .. plus you still have the option to put more in without having to switch. 

30's for me since I am usually going GBBR. I find that 5 mags and a speed loader easily last me an hour game. I generally refill each mag once ( I enjoy th imersion of reloading mags in a quiet moment) but will generally have a full mag left at the end.

I also enjoy the tactics that limited ammo require, working my way closer, making sure I've got a target, double tapping instead of switching to auto.

I run 120’s, purely to take account for the number of shots I miss/get stopped by foliage. 

If I practiced my aiming I could actually probably get away with 30’s 😂

I run an MWS so 35rds is the standard.

In CQB type games I probably get through 2 maybe 3 mags tops. I carry 3 spare mags and a full 90rd speedloader so I can top off empty mags as I walk to respawn, the mags contain enough gas for ~100+ shots but only 35 bbs….

Woodland I carry 6 spare mags and have never felt out gunned. If the Bbs aren’t hitting move closer or break contact and try a different angle.

Low bb count mages certainly make you pick your shots and try to keep count of how many times you have pulled the trigger! I find that I am wondering if I should reload and there are still 8-10 shots left in the mag!

Changing to 30rnd mags IMO from 120+ is more about you as a player, if you feel that 700+ is more than enough and you are finishing games with plenty of ammo left then challenge yourself to switch up your play style.

I quite often flit between what capacity I have on a given day and especially depending on event. Its especially handy if an event stipulates an ammo restriction that you can quite quickly change your mags to that capacity. If you are just getting a feel for it, like others have said - take a speed loader into the field with you and gauge how that game has played and how you have used your ammo (odin's are extremely helpful in these circumstances) you may find that if your local skirmish tends to do a lot of attack and defend games and you are in an Alamo situation 9 times out of 10 then maybe 30rnd mags wont work for you.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.