New York City criminalises gel blasters, but haven't finished the thought

Rogerborg

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Supporters

Via their Failbook account.  Their Supreme Court's ruling on constitutional carry seems to have sent NYPD deranged.

May be an image of text that says "Bead Blasters Notice of Violation Bead Blasters shoot gel water beads that are propelled by a spring-loaded air pump, which makes them an air rifle. Itis a VIOLATION to possess an air rifle in NYC under NYC Admin Code 10-131(b)(1)- Unlawful Possession of an Air Rifle. Violators will be issued a C-summons and the weapon will be vouchered as arrest evidence. .. POLICE DEPARTMENT CITY LIRK OF NEW"

Off topic because airsoft has apparently already long since fallen foul of their Antipodean antipathy to assault-style toys.  I guess they already class those as air rifles, which they would be here too without our exception.

Note that they don't mention energy levels, or projectiles, just "spring-loaded air pump" = air rifle = weapon = summary execution by gunshot to the head (or similar).

What they apparently haven't noticed, but half the commentards have, is that Nerf uses a sprung piston, so should be equally as criminal.  This ought to make for some interesting lawsuits.

It did prompt me to wonder what the UK situation is with gel blasters.  They don't enjoy airsoft's S57A exemption because they're not "designed to discharge only a small plastic missile". So if they can auto anything - and as the kids say, if it seats, it yeets - at over 1J then they're lethal barrelled and get bumped to Section 5, right?

Unless they argue the apocryphal "frangible projectile" exemption for paintball markers that I've heard mooted but have never looked up.

At this point it's just a game of who's going to be triggered into banning what sort of trigger-related fun next.

40 minutes ago, novioman said:

So you can own a shogun or rifle without license or permit in New York, but you can’t own a bead blaster, what a nonsense.

Actually, they are all about permission to own any firearms. 
They want to undermine our laws (US Constitution) every chance they get. 

Its insanity to me, but I like abiding by actual law. LOL 

• Supporters
5 hours ago, Rogerborg said:

What they apparently haven't noticed, but half the commentards have, is that Nerf uses a sprung piston, so should be equally as criminal.  This ought to make for some interesting lawsuits.

given that air rifles can also operate from a pumped or pre-charged compressed air supply does that also make these illegal?

SuperSoaker F32515L1 SOA Super Soaker XP30 AP, Multicolour : Amazon.co.uk:  Toys & Games

5 hours ago, Rogerborg said:

It did prompt me to wonder what the UK situation is with gel blasters.  They don't enjoy airsoft's S57A exemption because they're not "designed to discharge only a small plastic missile". So if they can auto anything - and as the kids say, if it seats, it yeets - at over 1J then they're lethal barrelled and get bumped to Section 5, right?

i guess we maybe don't see them as much here given nerf serves the younger market up until they're at airsofting age. not like our Australian cousins who have to use it as a way around airsoft being disallowed.

one does wonder, surely it's a good thing for countries not keen on civilian firearm ownership to allow the likes of airsoft as a safer means for those who enjoy shooting derivative sports?

• Supporters
3 hours ago, hitmanNo2 said:

I'm so glad they've sorted their murder, rape and robbery problems that they'll able to focus on gel blasters.

Yup, those are the other half of the comments.

There is a reason why NYC did this....

https://news.sky.com/story/teenager-thought-to-be-attempting-tiktok-water-gun-challenge-shot-dead-by-off-duty-officer-12657029

There is a tik tok challenge of people recording drive-by shootings with these things, and an off duty prison officer shot a kid dead.

Apart from that tragedy, anything where Airsoft type guns are causing panics (in a country where mass shootings are common) and unsuspecting people are being shot at, who have no eye pro so might get blinded and are certainly being pissed off and perhaps hurt.... Well that's the sort of publicity we don't need.

• Supporters
1 hour ago, RostokMcSpoons said:

There is a reason why NYC did this....

Hmm, I did wonder.  Personally I have no problem with summarily doming anyone using them on unconsenting targets, but then I apply that standard to littering, or abusing disabled parking as well.  If you could stop Hitler before he got started, and all that.

However, a blanket ban will just result in more twitchy cops responding to "firearms" incidents of kids playing consensually.  I have a minor addiction to 'Murcan policy bodycam channels on YouTube, and even when the cops don't roll up already primed to Tamir Rice someone, it's astonishing how many suspects seem determined to escalate minor offences into "you'll never take me alive, copper".

And having let that genie out of the bottle, I can see no reason why it doesn't cover Nerf as well.

https://codelibrary.amlegal.com/codes/newyorkcity/latest/NYCadmin/0-0-0-6218

"It shall be unlawful for any person to sell, offer to sell or have in such person's possession any air pistol or air rifle or similar instrument in which the propelling force is a spring or air"

That's the entirety of the statute definition.  The case law is going to hinge on the word "similar".  We're actually blessed with fairly clear description of what constitutes air-guns versus airsoft.

Fcuking idiots!

I remember a good 10 years ago, whilst working in the motor trade

I was on the forecourt with clients when a vehicle drove past and shot at us with a paintball marker. I managed to duck between vehicles to avoid being hit, the lady I was with wasn’t as fortunate and was hit in the face from probably 10m range

The police weren’t interested even with cctv footage of the incident

This was in Edinburgh

I can’t condone the excessive police (retired?) force used in this incident, but a good thrashing is just too lenient 

• Supporters
1 hour ago, Enid_Puceflange said:

I can’t condone the excessive police (retired?) force used in this incident

Prison guard, looks to have been their gun training officer.  Seems not to have a carry loicence though, might be interesting if that charge makes it all the way up to Clarence Thomas.

His side of the story:  1:30 in the morning in the Bronx, gets hit in the back from behind with unknown projectiles, sees a car with a couple of good boys who never did nothing to nobody pointing a gun-shaped thing at him, fired back.

The family's story: the whole neighbourhood was having a consensual water fight in the early hours of the morning, boys will be boys.

You can pick plenty of holes in either side, we'll likely never know.  I guess the take-away point is: don't start nothing, won't be nothing.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.