Real Steel DD Rail on WE L85A2

JinxDuh

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

As title suggests; anybody know if a real steel Daniel Defence L85A2 rail will fit a WE L85A2, and if it’s possible how much modification am I looking at, and what’s needed?

All I’ve found from a brief google search is people fitting one to the ICS, which is sized differently to the WE. 

Thanks @timski, I noticed the adapter when I was looking at the madbull rail as I had one on my old ICS but would like to stick as much real steel onto my WE as possible. My main concern is WE’s scale to the real thing as the top rail section is 1mm out, which on paper isn’t much but it’s enough to make mounts wobble so I’m hoping with the adapter it’ll all line up as real steel rails are kind of expensive now and don’t want to be stuck with a paper weight 🤣

I ordered a spare front reciever block for my WE L85 so I could modify it to work with a R/S rail. When it arrived it was already modified ! i think WE have updated the part to work with a genuine rail.

https://www.kyairsoft.com/parts/we-rifles-gbbr/l85-series/l85-40-gbbr.html

This part

• 2 weeks later...
On 19/07/2022 at 21:19, Nick G said:

I ordered a spare front reciever block for my WE L85 so I could modify it to work with a R/S rail. When it arrived it was already modified ! i think WE have updated the part to work with a genuine rail.

https://www.kyairsoft.com/parts/we-rifles-gbbr/l85-series/l85-40-gbbr.html

This part

Hi mate. Just curious what the difference is between the "modified" one and the "standard", as I'm gonna be modifying my standard one to fit the rail.

1 hour ago, JinxDuh said:

Hi mate. Just curious what the difference is between the "modified" one and the "standard", as I'm gonna be modifying my standard one to fit the rail.

The original is just a solid 'bar' all the way across that fits into a recess at the back of the plastic hand guard , the later one has a slot in it in the middle. 

If you line the DD rail up with it you will see where it needs filing out. I just ordered the replacement incase I buggered up the filing !

On 30/07/2022 at 19:37, Nick G said:

The original is just a solid 'bar' all the way across that fits into a recess at the back of the plastic hand guard , the later one has a slot in it in the middle. 

If you line the DD rail up with it you will see where it needs filing out. I just ordered the replacement incase I buggered up the filing !

Thanks for that, just to be an extra pain in the arse... Would it be possible to get a picture of the later WE gas block. I got my rail today and the two arms on the gas block are the only thing stopping it from going in, but want to make sure what version block I have haha.

4 hours ago, JinxDuh said:

Thanks for that, just to be an extra pain in the arse... Would it be possible to get a picture of the later WE gas block. I got my rail today and the two arms on the gas block are the only thing stopping it from going in, but want to make sure what version block I have haha.

Cant help you with that I'm afraid, Ive also got an A3 front and tend to just use that gas block with the DD rail !

Quick update regarding the real steel Daniel Defence rail fitted to a WE L85... The process is a fucker so figured I'd share what I've learned so far:

The WE adapter isn't needed, the DD rail slides into the slots however there is nowhere for the angled screw on the DD rail to screw into on the WE L85. MadBull replicas have the hole at the bottom, where you would screw the rail to the adapter. 

The WE gas block seems to be absolutely useless and will need to be replaced as there's nowhere for the sling screw to go through, although in theory you can have it hanging under the block but I'd prefer to have it going through said gas block.

I've 3d printed a temporary gas block that works "well enough" but has no securing points. Could drill a hole through it to pin it to the barrel like the original gas block was, but it's a whole bunch of guess work.

Currently have an Army Armament L85 gas block en root from HK as it looks to be the most similar to a real steel gas block. Once it arrives, I'll update this post with if it's any good or if it needs modifying etc.

Edit: Just received the AA block, also shout out to tiger111 for a really quick delivery time. The gas tube needs some modifying, as does the rail (Only ever so slightly) to accommodate the new block. Going to have to make an alternative way to attach however, as there's no pin hole on the gas block like the WE one. I'll be setting to work tomorrow getting it modified with the hopes of a rifle ready for Sunday... 😂

Edited by JinxDuh

The Army Armament L85 Gas block was surprisingly a good fit with little work required. It was only a few MM out from fitting flush, however I removed a little more than was needed to make the rail easier to slide on and off. Haven't had the time to work out how I'm going to secure the gas block to the barrel yet, probably grub screws to create a biting point but the process is getting closer to completion, thank god.

298595908_1540458136410241_2795165709311962914_n.thumb.jpg.554e892d1cf5e0e92455f10c1923ce20.jpg

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.