can anyone recommend a good DMR with an FPS of 350?

xollob

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Supporters
40 minutes ago, Davegolf said:

True, quite a lot of pewers dont know where they got shot from though :D

in my experience the likelyhood of encountering someone who can't tell where hits came from is inversely proportional to how far you are from your respawn flag :P

• Supporters
6 hours ago, Davegolf said:

quiet as the gearbox is further muffled

I'm pretty sure that I've never heard the screech and grind of any airsoft gearbox at 25-30 (real world) metres.

21 hours ago, ImTriggerHappy said:

Have a look on Facebook at some of the sniper groups. You will get better info on there from people who run or build low fps sniper riflers and dmr's with shockingly less snarky comments than you have already got on here.

Unnecessary 

Thanks I think I will, I keep forgetting that internet forums are full failed commedians.

10 hours ago, Cr0-Magnon said:

Although it is a somewhat confusing question, considering earlier this year the OP asked:

Posted February 13

New to the site, I did get a Ares Amoeba AS-02 Knee Capper Striker Sniper Rifle last year, and I'm finding that it comes in at 320 fps, is this normal? and if not how do I fix it?

Yes? Whats confusing about this?

Edited by xollob

On 17/07/2022 at 20:05, xollob said:

Hi there I'm looking for an accurate DMR/SNIPER rifle that I can use with no minimum engagement distance, ideally semi automatic. can anyone recommend anything?

Thanks in advance

Recommend anything - Yes your overall play style. Once you work that out, then ask that question. Will save you time and money….

• Supporters
41 minutes ago, xollob said:

That we don't know whether you need absolutely remedial advice, like "change the spring".  And now you're asking about a "350fp" "DMR/sniper" and we have no idea what it is that you actually want, or why, or even whether you've got the idea that slinging 0.48g at 350fps means you don't need a MED (and yes, we have seen that assumption).

If you want to be too cool for school and not actually engage with the process of figuring out what you really want, that's fine. We'll be here all night either way.

59 minutes ago, xollob said:

You had a sniper rifle that shot under 350fps but you wanted to "fix it", by which I assume you meant make it shoot closer to 500.

Now you're asking for recommendations for sniper rifles that shoot below 350fps.

2 hours ago, Rogerborg said:

That we don't know whether you need absolutely remedial advice, like "change the spring".  And now you're asking about a "350fp" "DMR/sniper" and we have no idea what it is that you actually want, or why, or even whether you've got the idea that slinging 0.48g at 350fps means you don't need a MED (and yes, we have seen that assumption).

If you want to be too cool for school and not actually engage with the process of figuring out what you really want, that's fine. We'll be here all night either way.

Yeah that tends to happen when people get snarky responses from other posters when asking reasonable questions.

So if I'm going to get something useful sure, I'm looking for a sniper rifle that I can use with no MED. ideally semi auto so I can shot folks with it, My knee capper is cool but I'm finding that at single shot at 300 FPS, its not really a useful sniper/ DMR.

2 hours ago, Cr0-Magnon said:

You had a sniper rifle that shot under 350fps but you wanted to "fix it", by which I assume you meant make it shoot closer to 500.

Now you're asking for recommendations for sniper rifles that shoot below 350fps.

I am do you have any recommendations? Or should i assume no?

• Supporters
10 hours ago, xollob said:

So if I'm going to get something useful sure, I'm looking for a sniper rifle that I can use with no MED. ideally semi auto so I can shot folks with it, 

As mentioned above, Cyma M14. The SOCOM is more manoeuvrable (being shorter) but still has great range.

• Supporters
10 hours ago, xollob said:

So if I'm going to get something useful sure, I'm looking for a sniper rifle that I can use with no MED. ideally semi auto so I can shot folks with it, My knee capper is cool but I'm finding that at single shot at 300 FPS, its not really a useful sniper/ DMR.

the problem is that with such a vague definition of a semi-capable pew that's sub 350fps and can have a scope mounted you could recommend pretty much anything.

for example:

m14

sr25

dragonuv/svu

vss/val

fal

g3

psg1

and that's a non-exhaustive list off the top of my head based on the vague notion of them being chambered in "dmr" cartridges (well, maybe not the vss/val but they commonly get used in airsoft for that purpose anyway). Needless to say they're available from multiple manufacturers according to your budget/taste, a few are available as gbb's, and all of them can, with varying degrees of effort, be converted to hpa. if we're not limiting ourselves to looking the part and only care about bb lobbing then you can add pretty much every aeg and even mk23 carbine conversions to that list (although granted that's assuming a level of tweaking over stock).

so for example i could recommend you buy an RS dragonuv and install a polarstar F2, but that wouldn't be helpful if you didn't want to spend that much, if you didn't like hpa, or if you just simply don't like the dragonuv.

likewise @Lozart's suggestion of the cyma m14 is totally valid, unless you just happened to not like the m14 in which case it's kinda pointless.

if you want more targeted advice then it's worth thinking about how you're phrasing the question, eg;

what sort of guns do you like the looks of?

do you want it to look like a dmr or just be good at lobbing bb's?

are you willing/able to modify over stock levels of performance?

do you care if it's also capable of auto? 

do you want it to be a gbb, or is a regular aeg fine?

what sort of budget do you have?

This came up tangentially a while back, and I'll just paraphrase what I said then; that the 'DMR' role - and it is more a role within a group than a personal strategy - is more a state of mind than about what particular gun you are using.

My 'DMR' setup is a bog standard Lancer gen3 AEG with an ACOG on top, only internal mods are a new hop rubber and nub. I rarely stray into full auto, take considered shots, try and back up my team where marksmanship is required. The fact that I still have access to the Fun Switch if I happen to need it is all to the good.

If you don't want an MED - and I don't! - then the world is your oyster, you can pick from literally any AEG as long as it meets the criteria for accuracy and your own personal aesthetic and ergonomic choices.

Completely unrelative to the physics of airsoft, but IMO completely necessary from a REAL Imitation Firearm - a DMR should have real world validity.

That being 7.62/303 or 6.5 etc.

Or if 5.56 etc then at least 18” barrel.

Amongst others it’s why I don’t like MK23 carbines.

If you're wanting to keep it under 350/1.13J, would a better question not simply be "How do I get the most accuracy and consistency out of my gun"?

You can use any normal AEG, just make it perform well, and then never use full automatic.

Then it'll be usable in your non-DMR DMR role, but simply have it depend on your ability & skills, as getting rid of semi won't give you any material advantage if you're keeping it at standard AEG levels.

14 minutes ago, Davegolf said:

Completely unrelative to the physics of airsoft, but IMO completely necessary from a REAL Imitation Firearm - a DMR should have real world validity.

Amongst others it’s why I don’t like MK23 carbines.

Preach. Sticking an m130 into a m4 with a drum mag isn't a DMR and a lot of battlesim/filmsim or milsim events will require real world DMR replicas, like an m14, SR-25, SVD or if it's 5.56x45mm something like a mk12 etc.

I'm an immersion nerd though. I like things to look the part, which is why I love Vietnam filmsim so much (and will probably try another milsim at some point as long as I can play more of a civpop role) as it's my kind of gameplay combined with everything looking the part.

1 hour ago, Impulse said:

Preach. Sticking an m130 into a m4 with a drum mag isn't a DMR and a lot of battlesim/filmsim or milsim events will require real world DMR replicas, like an m14, SR-25, SVD or if it's 5.56x45mm something like a mk12 etc.

If you want to run at higher FPS and with MED yes, but there's nothing at all stopping you from playing as if you are a Designated Marksman with any gun, even at nerdy stitch-counting events.

If we want to compare it to Real Life, most actual soldiers would probably resemble an airsoft DM more than they would the rest of the suicide squad...

Edited by Floperator

2 hours ago, Davegolf said:

I run a G&G MBR556 as a DMR. I'm not going to die on this hill as don't have enough knowledge of "real world situations" (although as an airsofter I have to shoehorn in that I have shot RS in 7.62 and .308) but my understanding is that DMR's are often chambered in the same calibre as the main squad rife, just tuned for long range precision. As such modern DMR's are also found in 5.56

I will add that I have electronic "sniper delay" setup and only use 90 round mags. Combine that with some sites requiring as low as 400fps for their DMR players, I don't see how people could take issue with what I do, just because I don't have a SR25 style stock on my RIF.

24 minutes ago, Cr0-Magnon said:

I run a G&G MBR556 as a DMR. I'm not going to die on this hill as don't have enough knowledge of "real world situations" (although as an airsofter I have to shoehorn in that I have shot RS in 7.62 and .308) but my understanding is that DMR's are often chambered in the same calibre as the main squad rife, just tuned for long range precision. As such modern DMR's are also found in 5.56

I will add that I have electronic "sniper delay" setup and only use 90 round mags. Combine that with some sites requiring as low as 400fps for their DMR players, I don't see how people could take issue with what I do, just because I don't have a SR25 style stock on my RIF.

I think most sensible people are fine with that. Hell, the SR-25 itself has multiple stock options and one is an extendable stock like on an M4. Where most people get annoyed is when you get someone turning up with an ARP9 or an mp5 as a DMR. I will say I generally dislike the rules for DMRs at most sites, and the 1.48J/400fps DMR rules just make me go 1.1J instead.

37 minutes ago, Floperator said:

If you want to run at higher FPS and with MED yes, but there's nothing at all stopping you from playing as if you are a Designated Marksman with any gun, even at nerdy stitch-counting events.

If we want to compare it to Real Life, most actual soldiers would probably resemble an airsoft DM more than they would the rest of the suicide squad...

I typically subscribe to the idea that the role =/= RIF classification. After all, I play like a "sniper" with 1.1J guns all the time, some people play the squad "designated marksman" role with a 2.3J bolt action etc. But as I said above, it's more when people turn up with an SMG or an m4 with a drum mag as a "DMR" at 1.88J or whatever the local limit is that I start to ask questions.

Edited by Impulse

@Impulse - Pistol Calibre DMR's!?...haha, shhh let's not give anyone ideas. But yeah, the more I get sprayed through a bush by someone who definitely couldn't see me and was just shooting in a general direction, the more I go off drum mags.

• Supporters
58 minutes ago, Cr0-Magnon said:

I will add that I have electronic "sniper delay" setup

If I were king of an airsoft site, I'd mandate that for DMRs, with a 2 second delay.  Then I'd test them all at every respawn.  Then I'd just ban them all anyway.

43 minutes ago, Impulse said:

I think most sensible people are fine with that. Hell, the SR-25 itself has multiple stock options and one is an extendable stock like on an M4. Where most people get annoyed is when you get someone turning up with an ARP9 or an mp5 as a DMR. I will say I generally dislike the rules for DMRs at most sites, and the 1.48J/400fps DMR rules just make me go 1.1J instead.

I typically subscribe to the idea that the role =/= RIF classification. After all, I play like a "sniper" with 1.1J guns all the time, some people play the squad "designated marksman" role with a 2.3J bolt action etc. But as I said above, it's more when people turn up with an SMG or an m4 with a drum mag as a "DMR" at 1.88J or whatever the local limit is that I start to ask questions.

Yes, fully agreed that there is a lot of scope for people taking the piss with pseudo-DMR builds, hence why it would be better IMO to encourage the culture of changing your playstyle rather than the gun. We could probably do without DMRs (meaning semi-auto, high FPS builds) entirely in game terms.

36 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

If I were king of an airsoft site, I'd mandate that for DMRs, with a 2 second delay.  Then I'd test them all at every respawn.  Then I'd just ban them all anyway.

>Insert "show me where they touched you" meme here<

Lurks in smaller than pistol calibre DMR. Mind you, if it’s good enough for the Israeli defence force, it’s good enough for meEA29FEBC-4C22-44A1-A9FD-419325BECE67.thumb.jpeg.13cf85a28b6f92fe35e72b5fdd44bef3.jpeg

6850D068-D835-4AEF-B30B-C7B84168FB4F.jpeg.592a8abc4c1b75aaa81948cefeab49d8.jpeg

689DEB9D-B1B7-4767-8323-93724441560D.webp

Edited by Alimcd

• Supporters
3 minutes ago, Alimcd said:

Lurks in smaller than pistol calibre DMR. Mind you, if it’s good enough for the Israeli defence force, it’s good enough for me

i was debating bringing that up, about the perfect example of a great airsoft dmr platform that doesn't meet the usual requirements for real usage.

ofc that's my thinking before you mentioned the idf, part of me is curious as to why and how they're using them.

• Supporters
3 minutes ago, Adolf Hamster said:

ofc that's my thinking before you mentioned the idf, part of me is curious as to why and how they're using them.

Apparently they use them as a "less than lethal" weapon. Despite having killed quite a few people with it.

Actually speaking of MED's too.....

I really want to see what happens if you run up to a sniper/DMR player who doesn't have a sidearm. I like to think they'd start frantically backpedalling, trying to get 30M away but it's airsoft, so they'd probably shoot you regardless.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.