How many fps would you gain by increasing barrel length by 4cm

steverebo

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hard to quantify.

Even two guns with the same exact parts will have different energy outputs.

Also depends on your cylinder/barrel volume ratio, generally a longer barrel will boost energy output but only until a certain point, after that you'll experience a decrease.

What's your gun's spec?

Airsoft Engenuity did a study on loads of different spec AEG’s and on all of them FPS tailed off to essentially zero gain after about a total length of 260mm.

All different bores, hops, gearbox specs etc etc, they all tailed off around 260

Thats not really true, there are so many variables.

If you were sticking purely to the same spring, cylinder type, bb weight, barrel ratio etc etc etc then yes.

Most stock AEGS are well over volumed on 0.2s, (for those not aware - this essentially means the BB has left the barrel but air is still coming out) so if you increase the barrel length you will impart more energy and therefor speed into given BB.

This is exploited most by GBB as they 'self-volume' thanks to the floating valve.

@steverebo i think you will pick up 15 fps (+/-5)

4 minutes ago, Davegolf said:

Thats not really true, there are so many variables.

If you were sticking purely to the same spring, cylinder type, bb weight, barrel ratio etc etc etc then yes.

That’s exactly what I said.

Whatever your fps in whatever AEG you have, any length over about 260mm will make little to no difference. Apparently. I didn’t do the testing

• Supporters
4 hours ago, Cannonfodder said:

As I understand it for aegs barrel length has bugger all, if any, affect on fps

yep, they're constant energy systems as opposed to constant force systems (ie your gbb's/hpa's) so outside the extremes it won't make significant difference.

that's not to say it won't change, but that's typically when you have a system with suboptimal sealing that gets fixed incidental to the actual swapping of barrels like re-seating/replacing the hop bucking or reassembling the unit into the gun. ofc how much those gains may be will be hard to quantify for any given gun.

@rocketdogbert i suppose you did, yes.

Using my recent AK as an example, actually exact same lengths as OP - had a 300 - fitted a 340, picked up 10 fps, backed up by more joule creep / less energy loss with heavier ammo.

Same barrel make and bore, same bucking, hop unit, nozzle, everthing.

OP been pretty shy on details so whatever, its pot luck really.

There will not be much in it. Should get it chrono’ed, then change the barrel straight away, then retest and you will have your answer. 

• Supporters
2 hours ago, Davegolf said:

Like OP seems to be planning?

I'm going to go with zero, or "airsoft zero" (i.e. an imaginary boost), unless 1) he's running a full cylinder, or 2) he changes some other variable.

Cheers guys purely from reading all the comments I'm going to grab the 340mm even if I don't end up sticking with it as they are only cheap and see if I gain anything or nothing and feed back my results.

I did skimp on the details it's an 416d with 3/4 cylinder short stroked by 4 teeth (2 pickup 2 release) warhead motor stock nozzle which has an oring and seals perfectly, zci hop unit and maple leaf Mr hop 60.

• Supporters
8 hours ago, steverebo said:

3/4 cylinder short stroked by 4 teeth (2 pickup 2 release)

I'd be surprised if you're not already under-volumed for 300mm - but I'm often surprised by what passes for physics in airsoft.  If you don't get a boost, or even see a drop, you could... uh... stick some teeth... no, wait, let me think about this a bit more. 🤔

I'm invested in this process now: do you know what spring is in there?  And what muzzle energy you're getting just now (and on what BB weights)?

I cannot remember the spring but its shooting 280fps with .28 bb's on average with a variance of around 5fps 

I would like to get it up to around 290 without having to mess with my spring as it's a right pain getting to it

Edited by steverebo

1 minute ago, steverebo said:

shooting 280fps with .28 bb's on average with a variance of around 5fps 

So why worry? The very max on a 0.28g is 295fps and you wouldn't even want to go that far due to variance in site chrono's.

• Supporters
49 minutes ago, Cr0-Magnon said:

The very max on a 0.28g is 295fps and you wouldn't even want to go that far due to variance in site chrono's.

Or playing at a dinosaur site that chonos in 0.2g, or says "hop off, mate, hop off".

For example, my G36C also chronos bang on 1J (OK, "280fps") shooting and hopped for 0.28g.

Put in 0.2g and hop for that - or dial the hop off - and it leaps up to... well... not quite Section 5, but enough to make CQB sites shriek in horror.  Luckily it has an adjustable spring guide / pre-tensioner to cool it down.

If you're absolutely sure about the sites and testing policy, then chasing 1.13J is reasonable. I'm fine keeping my AEGs down at 1J with 0.28g though.

Heard while I was queuing for chrono recently:

Airsofter 1: You not chronoed yet?

Airsofter 2: I tried but it was too hot, so I'm using a different battery.

Airsofter 1: Nah, your best bet is to turn your hop all the way up but just remember to dial it back after.

That was my first game back after my eye issues too, made me question if it was worth associating with these muppets!

Yeah I know 280 is pretty reasonable so I'm not overly worried but I have a cqb gun that is bang on 290 on .25 and this gun is my outdoors gun so if I can cheaply get it closer to the 1.14 mark then why not.

I have one of those small pottable rechargeable chrono's which I take to all my games and I have compared it to my 4 local sites that I attend so I know the biggest variance is 6fps over my chrono the rest are all within few fps either side.

I've bought this barrel now not out of need anymore but just out of shear curiosity to see what if any difference it will make 

39 minutes ago, Cr0-Magnon said:

Airsofter 1: Nah, your best bet is to turn your hop all the way up but just remember to dial it back after.

That was my first game back after my eye issues too, made me question if it was worth associating with these muppets!

Def a muppet if he thinks battery voltage changes fps 😆

Did he have a rail gun or something?

6 minutes ago, Davegolf said:

Def a muppet if he thinks battery voltage changes fps 😆

Had you not heard that before? I have on at least several occasions. Mostly from, errmmm....let's just say the type of people who will move on their guns by uploading a single dark and/or blurry pic of it on their duvet (bonus point for feet also being featured).

18 hours ago, Cr0-Magnon said:

I'd be letting a marshal know what you heard. If the bell end is trying to sneak a hot gun onto the field then what other bullshit will they try? 

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.