The " What's Your Best / Worst Ever Purchase? " Thread

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

So I had this idea the other day and throught it might be an interesting thread:

What is your absolute best (airsoft) purchase you've ever made? / What is the absolute worst (airsoft) purchase you've ever made?

It can be anything from a RIF, a certain brand of BB, Pyro, parts, gear, etc... You get the picture.

I think the best purchase I've made would be my TM MWS. Yet to skirmish it so that opinion may change but just customising it and handling it around the house has been a lot of fun.

My worst purchase has probably been one of those Thunder B grenades many many years ago. First time taking it out at TWA Woodland in Croydon, I passed it forward to someone else to throw and that it was lost to the bushes. It didn't take out the other players and I didn't even get the privilege of losing it myself 😒

• Supporters

Best purchase - my first booking at The Mall. It's been a downhill slide into bankruptcy ever since!

Worst? There's been so many. Standout was probably my SOCOM Gear M9A1. Looked great, sucked donkey balls in use. The slide fitted like a dick in a shirtsleeve, gas efficiency was rubbish, accuracy was...stormtrooper levels of wild spraying.

Best:  Double Eagle M906C.  It's been brilliant ever since I bought it.  

(Apart from the stock spring losing its oomph, which cost all of £12 to replace)

My TM Hi Capa DOR has been smile-inducing too, so that gets a big 'Honourable Mention'...  that was a good value purchase as well.

Worst: Actually there's nothing I totally regret...
I suppose my Tippmann M4 might be considered the biggest disappointment.  As it's my most expensive purchase - perhaps a bit overpriced - I rather expected it would be my best gun.   It's not there yet, but there's still hope I'll get it fettled eventually, and it'll become my true primary.

Oh yeah, I bought a set of Lonex flash mags.   Great bits of kit, but the one gun they don't seem very compatible with is ... the DE M906.   They unwind as soon as they're inserted.  Damn them.  Hopefully a bit of packing or filing will sort them out.

EDIT: It seems I wasn't putting enough BBs into the flash mags... once they're filled up properly and then wound up, they fit in all my guns without unwinding.   Result!  And a lesson that 'testing' and 'using for real' are useless when they're very different - in this case my test was useless!

Edited by RostokMcSpoons
Lonex mags aren't crap ;)

Best; my TM Hi Capa. Had it about 10 years, absolutely shot the bollocks out of it doing practical pistol (using black gas too) and it's still going, albeit with a few spares here and there. Regularly used to drop the mags on hard floors doing speed reloads, think I've had to replace one set of feed lips and one floor plate. When I get around to setting up my 'blackbeard' all-pistol loadout it will probably be my primary.

Worst; probably that horrible molle vest plate carrier thing I bought, against advice, before my first skirmish.

• Supporters

best? odin m12, the one bit of kit that could spoil a gameday merely by its absence. although if we're limiting it to guns then it'd be a tie between the WE makarov and the jg aksu, both might have had their foibles (makarov didn't like the cold and the jg was a bit lacking in the externals department) but damn if they weren't decent bb lobbers and fun to actually use.

worst? hmm, tie between the cybergun 1911 and the we luger. the 1911 couldn't hit the broadside of a barn, assuming you managed to get it to work long enough to fire more than a couple of rounds that is, the luger at least worked, for a couple of rounds if the weather was nice, and at least shot in a straight line, for about 20 feet thanks to no hop....

Best - There's a few bits of kit or guns that could fit the bill here, but actually thinking about it, the one that I've taken to pretty much every skirmish for at least the last 10 years has been my mesh face mask. I *think* it was one of the original Black Bear ones (seem to recall having to order it from Russia or similar) and it's undoubtedly saved me from injury a bunch of times. TM MK23 and GSPEC are also strong contenders just from how much use I've had from them.

Worst... I have made a *lot* of poor purchasing decisions. I've managed to buy both M249's and M4's twice and sink money into them before getting frustrated. However,  I think the G36 I got as a project gun that I was completely unable to get feeding properly is the worst, but the Wolverine SMP was a close second.

Best: 5.11 CAMS bag (tldr a 190l bag with wheels, essentially a massive suitcase). Fits all my kit in bar my RIFs and saves so much time, space and energy.

Worst: Every bolt action RIF I've ever purchased, because I know all too well at this point that I enjoy building them more than I enjoy using them... and you loose a shit load on them when they're inevitably sold.

Of the last two years.

Best: Mayflower Gen IV chest rig. Most practical and comfortable piece of kit I've ever tried.

Worst: E&L 74u, nothing but problems for two years.

Best is definitely the Wolverine Bolt for my VSR. It got me into HPA sniping and it really changed the game on how well my VSR performs. Absolutely amazing piece of kit!

Worst is probably... any of the random sale items I bought thinking "that's a good price and I might use it in the future" and then never used and relegated to my kit bag. Fortunately it's not that much, but it doesn't change the fact that they were awful purchases.

My Best:

My GHK M4

Got it in a bundle, it roughly cost me EFF All by the time I sold the rest of the bundle on, and Gawd-Damn is it fun to shoot 😈

My Worst:

WE Galaxy

Just an absolute abortion of a pistol 

It stayed in my possession for roughly 72 hours 😂🤦🏻‍♂️

Best: G&G CM16.  Light, reliable and cheap back when I bought it.  ~Also my homemade PLCE yoke and battlebelt rig.  Super comfy and absolutely minimalist.  It's evolved over the years.

Worst:  The crap M4 and almost as crap shotgun that I bought from JustBBguns.  Wish I'd found the forum sooner...

Best: a crappy theta optics fts magnifier, because it started me on the journey of changing my whole style of play. Similarly my nuprol ak21. It started life as a project gun, and it can be a pain at times, but its been my main squeeze through the whole sneaky gameplay journey and tbh I love the thing now. 

Worst is the Raven p226, or whatever they call it. Wank piece of kit. Feels nice but has the performance of a £5 hopper fed bb gun. 

Best, either my TM Devgru, MWS or, as others have said, a gen Odin speedloader (and MWS adapter).

Worst, Viper mesh goggles or an impulse purchase of a drop-leg holster from Amazon, back when I knew nothing. As much use as tits on a fish.  

• Supporters

Best: Galaxy MP5K (G.5K).  Huge amounts of performance, portability and fun for so little money, wildly exceeded my modest expectations.

Worst: CYMA CM351 tri-shot.  Fragile, misfeeds, trigger barely functions, hops are all over the place. Cheap, but every penny was wasted. Reckon I'll just bin it, I'm never going to use it, and I wouldn't inflict it on anyone else.

On 07/07/2022 at 17:44, Skara said:

Worst: E&L 74u, nothing but problems for two years

I didn't get 2 games out of mine. It jammed more than Bob Marley before the piston ate itself. I ended up whole gearbox from the cyma it replaced in it. Luckily the body has been rock solid

For me it would have to be 

Best: MY SADF M83 chest rig. Cheap, comfortable and holds everything I need securely. Of all the bits of load carrying kit I've picked up over the years, it's the only one I find myself going back to

Worst: A&K M249. Heavy, pot metal parts which would break and totally unreliable. Glad I got rid of it 

Great thread. 

I'm not going to count some of the bargains I've got, just general stuff. 

Best: 

2x ohshibooms blank firing grenades, they have literally saved me around £1000 in pyro costs. 

Tm ngrs m4 and 416. I've been running the same 2 rifs for over 6 years, I've used then hard, completed minor upgrades. Still love them and have always been easy to work on (any rifs used as much, for so long needs it). I've found them a great investment. 

Tm mp7 gbb: only used a couple of times but proper fun so far, can see it being amazing. 

Worst:

Evolution gear eotech clone. Took months to arrive, didn't work, switched battery (as per their instructions) only for it to heat up and still not work. Refund took months as well. Only found holy warrior clones are worth bothering with now and even then vortex is better. 

TMC (very long time ago) mrb clone, tiny, inconsistent molle etc was completely unusable. 

Pretty much anything by 5.11 that's "tactical", their jeans are good but everything else has been..... disappointing.

Interesting thread. Can see this gaining traction. Could be a great place for newbies to research real world opinions on gear.

Best...

Got to be my TM M4A1 MWS. Brings a big grin everytime I pull that trigger. So far has been faultless after around 5000 rounds. Just chugs along.

Worst...

Hmm... 🤔🤔 ah yes a, wait for it... Nuprol sling 🤬 fucker lost its stitching in a game and my MWS went crashing towards the ground... 😯 but managed to catch it before it hit😏 

I sew it back together myself and it's now solid but... I shouldn't have to have done that. Its true what they say about nuprol, and slings too. Don't cheap out. It is literally the thing supporting your nice expensive toy. Lesson learned.

Edited by Khyber

Best - has to be my DE 904G, 10,000 plus rounds put through it, never opened the gearbox up. Never let me down and still shoots 1.07J on the stock spring. That's why I now have 3 DE guns. 

Worst - specna arms E07. Never worked properly. Chewed gears up, poor gearbox casing destroyed the o rings. And it feels like it built very cheap. 

Best: TM MWS (it isn't hype) SADF M83 chest rig (comfortable and adaptable) Esstac Kywi mag pouches, Delta Mike face pro. Honourable mention to Cyma AKS-74u and MP5 - great guns and easy to work on when needed. Pentagon Wolf trousers and UBACS tops.

Worst: G&P MOE M4 - horrible externals (but internals ok); big bulky plate carriers (zero benefit in Airsoft and so hot and sweaty) mesh face pro (just nasty) MucOff anti fog (would be better off using mud)

Best: TM Scars. I have bought so many guns since them and they always end up being go to. Bought them around the time they were first released, made zero mods and they get me though my games with no issue. 

Worst: hands down worst was an M9 by HFC. Took it to my first event and it got 3 rounds off before it vented completely. Took it back to safe zone, re gassed and went into the next game but it didnt even get a single round out as the trigger bar snapped. Absolute dog shit gun.

Close second was my Well MP7. No power, no range. I'm proud to say that I got a few kills with it at Anzio Camp as I had to run it as my primary once because my UMP was running too close to 350fps on the chrono and they warned me with bans if I shot over in a mid game chrono. 

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.