Super-general-purpose do-everything mag pouches...?

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Oh dear.

So I was about to buy the Novritsch mag pouches that would sort me out for my STANAG and AUG mags, thinking they'd also service the M14 I just paid for.
It turns out I was wrong, Novritsch sell separate DMR pouches to cater for the M14. 

Now the problem isn't so much the expense of buying 2 sets of 4 pouches of each denomination (though that would run to 120 Euros, ouch), but that I either need duplicate battle belts for when I change guns, or I need to swap them over (and messing with MOLLE can be a bit of a pain in the fingers as we know, and would eat up a lot of lunch time!)

The thing is I currently prefer to push my mags back into the pouches when they're empty so I can keep track of them, and that means soft-sided pouches get ruled out... trying to stuff mags into the likes of an Osprey SA80 pouch is not easy when wearing goggles and trying to look down the side of my (chunky) body.  I currently use cheap, but effective, AliExpress polymer pouches.

So are there any mag pouches that will hold *anything*, that are fairly stiff with good retention, still allow fast reloads and that aren't super-expensive bits of Gucci kit that would empty my bank account?

If I'm looking for an impossibility with a stiff-sided pouch that'll hold M14 + M16 + AUG mags, then I suppose I could try a dump pouch setup - what are the downsides to those, apart from the possibility of a bunch of mags clattering each other?  Do people ever lose mags out of them?

Was going to recommend the flap pouches that I posted about the other day, but they are soft sided (though could be stiffened with some plasticard or similar?).

As for dump pouches, some have a kind of inner..sphincter..thing...that helps to stop gear falling out.

I refuse to push things through a sphincter ;D

I shall take a look.  It may be the best option.   
I have emailed Novritsch in case one or the other pouch types they sell can be made to work (seems unlikely)

I might buy a few cheapo 7.62 pouches from AliExpress in the hope they're good enough, but they'll take a month to arrive...

• Supporters

sentences i never thought i'd write:

just embrace the convenience of pushing things through the sphincter when you need to dump, and make sure it closes up relatively tight so you don't go accidentally dropping anything.....

as for the mag pouches it's always a balance, the speediboi stuff comes at risk of retention or in this case lack of specialization, more basic pouches aren't going to be as fast to access but on the flip side your mag is at least going to be there when you need it.

2 hours ago, Ebeneezer Goode said:

I have a couple of these:-

https://www.vipertacticalshop.co.uk/viper-tactical-elite-utility-pouch.html

Handy as they fit practically anything and hold well.

Yeah I saw the Viper pouches when I was browsing Action Hobbies (as I can collect from there, and therefore return easily)

I might well give them a go... They're not the exact same ones, they're a bit cheaper...

https://www.actionhobbies.co.uk/products/viper-elite-adjustable-magazine-pouch/

I find them handy as they happily take three hi cap STANAGs and I'm sure would fit AK mags or others as they are adjustable. Also useful for any other tat you're carrying e.g. speedloaders, small first aid kit, tools, etc etc etc.

It seems like you have forgot about our Lord and Saviour HSGI Taco pouch!

Plenty of clones (of varying degrees of quality) around, when set up they can securely hold whatever magazine you throw at it, and if you're the crafty type you can even line them with anti slip material so that the chances of magazines dropping out on their own become -1!

3 minutes ago, Skara said:

It seems like you have forgot about our Lord and Saviour HSGI Taco pouch!

Plenty of clones (of varying degrees of quality) around, when set up they can securely hold whatever magazine you throw at it, and if you're the crafty type you can even line them with anti slip material so that the chances of magazines dropping out on their own become -1!

Yes they definitely look like the very thing - but the real deal are a somewhat deal-breaking, eye-watering £31 each!

I'll have a scout around for clones, if you can recommend anything very similar but half the price, I'm definitely interested :)

11 hours ago, Ebeneezer Goode said:

I find them handy as they happily take three hi cap STANAGs and I'm sure would fit AK mags or others as they are adjustable. Also useful for any other tat you're carrying e.g. speedloaders, small first aid kit, tools, etc etc etc.

Already got a couple of general purpose pouches on my belt (although the bigger one will contain my air bottle when I run the Tippmann), so I think I'll stick with the actual mag pouches if they work.  I've fired off an email to AH asking for advice 

5 minutes ago, RostokMcSpoons said:

if you can recommend anything very similar but half the price

Templar's Gear. Very high quality for the price, they are the pouches Novritsch ripped his designs off (causing a massive shitstorm a couple of years ago).

• Supporters

I've used the Warrior Assault Systems taco pouches for G3, M14 and M4 (both STANAG and plastic styles) and they work well. Otherwise, you could look at the NI/SADF style chest rigs where one size swamps all.

Depends on how much you want to spend, I enjoy quality gear and I’m a sucker for anything spiritus systems:

https://www.spiritussystems.com/spud-pouch/

Fits everything including the world most awkward mag, G36.

• Supporters

As the owner of 3 M14s, I feel your pain.

1 hour ago, Wavey_Gravey said:

Depends on how much you want to spend, I enjoy quality gear and I’m a sucker for anything spiritus systems:

I'm slowly learning that spending "tuppence ha'penny" on airsoft gear is often a false economy, but I still live in hope for the times when it isn't, so I'm still scouring the bargain bins ;)

If I was still playing regularly every other weekend, £100+ on essential gear wouldn't frighten me sooooo much now, but I'm still waiting for Spec Ops to come back on-line.  Curse the local council and whatever stupid red tape they've come up with that's blocked use of the site.  So £10-£20 each feels right for the 4 pouches I want.

As for the site... I'll have to be brave and try somewhere else that's local to me, but so far the stars haven't aligned with dates, car availability etc.

2 hours ago, Skara said:

Templar's Gear. Very high quality for the price, they are the pouches Novritsch ripped his designs off (causing a massive shitstorm a couple of years ago).

Have to say these look tempting... and double pouches save some belt space and cost!
https://shop.reconbrothers.com/product/templars-gear-double-fast-rifle-mag-pouch-custom/

Is there a best place to buy Templars Gear?   I've found reconbrothers and e-militaria.pl so far

Edited by RostokMcSpoons

1 minute ago, RostokMcSpoons said:

Is there a best place to buy Templars Gear?

No clue where you can get them in UK.

I'm EU based.

• Supporters
14 minutes ago, RostokMcSpoons said:

Have to say these look tempting... and double pouches save some belt space and cost!
https://shop.reconbrothers.com/product/templars-gear-double-fast-rifle-mag-pouch-in-stock/

Is there a best place to buy Templars Gear?   I've found reconbrothers and e-militaria.pl so far

*Ahem... https://www.uktactical.com/product/warrior-assault-systems-double-quick-mag-multicam-11496

10 minutes ago, Lozart said:

Your 'ahem' is noted, and thanked!   Assuming the all side panels are stiff enough so the things don't collapse when the mags are out, and re-insertion isn't too tricky, then those are the very (UK sourced) thing I'll buy.

Cheers!

Edited by RostokMcSpoons

• Supporters
22 minutes ago, RostokMcSpoons said:

Your 'ahem' is noted, and thanked!   Assuming the all side panels are stiff enough so the things don't collapse when the mags are out, and re-insertion isn't too tricky, then those are the very (UK sourced) thing I'll buy.

Cheers!

They are indeed. I can send some pics of mine with various mags in if you'd like?

Nope that's fine thanks...!

image.png.963bb1a8889b95b93a6ded65961514e4.png

I already have a couple of pistol pouches but they don't hold the hicapa mags very well, so this bungee version look the very thing to have

Edited by RostokMcSpoons

• Supporters
10 minutes ago, RostokMcSpoons said:

Nope that's fine thanks...!

image.png.963bb1a8889b95b93a6ded65961514e4.png

I already have a couple of pistol pouches but they don't hold the hicapa mags very well, so this bungee version look the very thing to have

What about the snap mags? https://www.uktactical.com/product/warrior-laser-cut-single-snap-mag-pouch-9mm-short-multicam-18843

out of stock for multicam versions... yeah looks interesting but I'm not so worried about extreme-tactical-speed for pistol reloads as the pouch will be on my right, behind my holster... the cheaper option is good enough.   

edit: I went ahead and ordered those items in my basket.   There's an EVERYTHING5 discount code to knock 5% off, and postage is free. 

Which was nice.

Edited by RostokMcSpoons

41 minutes ago, Lozart said:

Oh wow, totally not a KYWI clone.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.