Pinned Link No Longer Working

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Just a heads up to any mod/admin that the link in the thread above for new players to find somewhere to play is non functional.

Also, if anyone has recommendations for  where a 30 year old absolute noob can go try out the sport (renting kit) before I dive in that would be appreciated. I live near Bradford, happy to travel a reasonable distance, any advice gratefully received.

Hi & welcome!

No idea on where's good near you but that site's pretty useful. Yes lots of us have our own kit but for your first time I'd recommend decent footwear, gloves and clothing that covers your skin (long sleeves/trousers) depending on the protection the site offer maybe a hat too.

If you like it then you can start building your kit up, get your UKARA and then fondly remember what having money was like before you spent it all on RIFs and camo 😂

5 minutes ago, Madhouse said:

then fondly remember what having money was like before you spent it all on RIFs

This !!!!!!!    FFS just blown more this morning.  

Get decent boots with proper ankle support!   I wince when I see people running around in bloody trainers.

Thanks gents. It seems my nearest location is going to be Stealth Woods, run by First & Only. It looks like they do equipment hire and the next event is on July 10th so hopefully I can book onto that.

I already shoot as a hobby so have some decent boots and reasonable clothing, although no camo - so I will still stand out as a new guy!

I have seen some people wear safety glasses similar to what I wear in the workshop - I have had experience of grinding sparks etc bouncing off my cheeks, the inside of the glasses and then into my eye. Is this something I need to be aware of when picking up some PPE? Also, face masks - the dentist is quite expensive nowadays but lots of people take part without a mask. Are they wearing a gum shield instead?

I wear milwaukee safety glasses with yellow tint and anti-fog. 

I checked the standards when I bought them and they were more than enough on paper for airsoft. I pinged a few shots onto an older pair to be sure and they only marked a little. 

There is a risk of a bb bouncing past them, and I've had it happen once with no ill effect. 

Full face protection is obviously the best, but I personally don't like it despite many shots to the face. 

Ultimately it's about understanding the risks, and accepting that if you do decide not to go full monty on some aspects of safety wear then there's no point whining about the consequences. 

As a tradesmen myself, bb hits to the face hurt a fair bit more than grinder sparks. 

Good camo always comes second to good fieldc raft so I wouldn't worry about that too much. 

When it comes to ppe most sites recommend full face protection (but it's mandatory for under 18s). Those who just wear glasses or goggles accept the risk of loosing teeth. I've seen a few people wear gum shields but they tend to be a minority 

3 minutes ago, Cannonfodder said:

Good camo always comes second to good fieldc raft

Indeed. Someone wearing dark clothes moving carefully can be pretty stealthy compared to a large person in camo launching their way through the undergrowth at full pelt. 

A prime example was at a fancy dress game I watched a mate dressed as spiderman sneak up on a couple of guys and get within 10 yards of them. Neither of them knew he was there till he shot them

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.