Gigs.

Wavey_Gravey

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

So I had a last minuet offer to see Rammstein for the first time ever last night, they were pretty amazing as to be expected.

Supported by a duo of classical pianists which was unexpected but thoroughly enjoyable.

What gigs have you been to recently and how where they?

• Supporters

been a fair few years, last time was iron maiden which was as much theatre with musical accompaniment. ofc that was pre-covid..

not much of a gig go-er tbh, i do appreciate a good show but it's not something i go out of my way to do on even an irregular basis. think it's because i have to balance my love of the music with my distain for overcrowded situations.

Lady Winwoods Maggot* AKA the Maggots, at the back garden of  The Avon, Salisbury.

The drummer had a problem, quite a big problem, if I recall correctly he was there for the first song and the last song (plus encores) but disappeared inbetween.

The moment they discover that their four piece had become a trio:

29B666D6-3800-4653-B12A-0B7A7B0DC453.jpeg.38f2b5a6b172255160880171f4bba463.jpeg

After a while I made the periodic trip to the urinals, to meet him exiting.

He had not been well, however as drummers are well known for their gentile and clean living nature he had cleaned all traces and left an immaculate bowl - though heavily packed with toilet paper and water line up to the brim.

* in their words:

Since 1993 Lady Winwoods Maggot have travelled afar spreading their distorted gospel. A unique, anarchic sound regurgitating traditional transatlantic music, blended with their own material.

From dark tragic songs to the satirical and ridiculous interspersed with instrumentals. Incorporating Mandolin, Banjo, Guitar, Bass and Drums Lady Winwoods Maggot channel THE DEVILS’ MUSIC!

Used to see Lady Winwoods Maggot on a regular basis when I was a barman at the George in Christchurch. I spent nearly every Friday night in the function room working the live music events. 

They were one of the bands that caused enough noise complaints from the neighbours that the pub was forced to fit a volume limiter by the council.

If the band was too loud for more than 10 seconds, their power switched off.

Went down well with the bands and regulars alike….not. 

Good times.

Have a video of my lad loosing his shit to DuHast when he was 3 or 4 in the back of our car - it was hilarious.

Last gig I went to was me taking SWMBO to see X Japan at Wembley - fuck me that went on for nearly 6 hours.

Used to have a musician flat mate so went to a fair few smaller gigs in London (he was the/a drummer in the Wildhearts); he was supporting The Darkness when they had a world tour and managed to get us celebrity enclosure passes for the reading festival that year.  Remember having a few beers with The Offspring..... but not much else after that.  Woke up the following morning, upside down, in the back of my van with a close to dead battery an the radio still blasting music at full volume.

Fun times.  

6 hours ago, Speedbird_666 said:

Used to see Lady Winwoods Maggot on a regular basis when I was a barman at the George in Christchurch. I spent nearly every Friday night in the function room working the live music events. 

They were one of the bands that caused enough noise complaints from the neighbours that the pub was forced to fit a volume limiter by the council.

If the band was too loud for more than 10 seconds, their power switched off.

Went down well with the bands and regulars alike….not. 

Good times.

I remember those volume limiters in village halls etc …. Happy days 

1 hour ago, Dan Robinson said:

Have a video of my lad loosing his shit to DuHast when he was 3 or 4 in the back of our car - it was hilarious.

Last gig I went to was me taking SWMBO to see X Japan at Wembley - fuck me that went on for nearly 6 hours.

Used to have a musician flat mate so went to a fair few smaller gigs in London (he was the/a drummer in the Wildhearts); he was supporting The Darkness when they had a world tour and managed to get us celebrity enclosure passes for the reading festival that year.  Remember having a few beers with The Offspring..... but not much else after that.  Woke up the following morning, upside down, in the back of my van with a close to dead battery an the radio still blasting music at full volume.

Fun times.  

Ahhhh, there's a link to my personal fave band, Cardiacs.  Both Ginger (and presumably the rest of the Wildhearts) and Justin Hawkins being big fans.   
Sadly of course, the mighty Cards haven't toured in years, due to Tim the lead singer suffering a heart attack and a stroke when being mugged, and subsequently dying a couple of years ago... but Tim did some of the Wildheart's production work.

Last gigs I went to were Johny Marr at the Festival Hall, and Thank You Scientist at The Flapper in Birmingham... blimey, nearly 3 years ago in August.   I normally try to get to a few gigs a year.  Sucks that it's been so long :(

Edited by RostokMcSpoons

4 minutes ago, RostokMcSpoons said:

Ahhhh, there's a link to my personal fave band, Cardiacs.  Both Ginger (and presumably the rest of the Wildhearts) and Justin Hawkins being big fans.   
Sadly of course, the mighty Cards haven't toured in years, due to Tim the lead singer suffering a heart attack when being mugged, and subsequently dying a couple of years ago... but Tim did some of the Wildheart's production work.

Last gigs I went to were Johny Marr at the Festival Hall, and Thank You Scientist at The Flapper in Birmingham... blimey, nearly 3 years ago in August.   I normally try to get to a few gigs a year.  Sucks that it's been so long :(

Some names ring bells there LOL.  When the Wildhearts reformed in the 00's I remember sitting in our kitchen with Stidi, and bottle of gold tequila, some other questionable substances, helping him get the stops right in Caffeine Bomb.  Having to listen to the drama's between minor (and occasionally middling) celebrities was at the same time amusing and tiring.  Ginger being the instigator of many.

Listened to a lot of Ramones and Tom Petty during those year too LOL

Last 2 years hasn't been great for gigs...but in the Before Times my last big gig was Too Many Zooz at Kentish Town Forum. Phenomenal show, more like a rave really. Punched well above what you would expect from a 3 piece busking band.

I haven't been to a gig for donkey's years, in fact I think the last one I went to was Lynyrd Skynyrd at London Apollo. 

This is partly because most of the bands I listen to are either dead or at least drawing a pension, but also because I don't like crowds. 

On 27/06/2022 at 08:38, Wavey_Gravey said:

So I had a last minuet offer to see Rammstein for the first time ever last night, they were pretty amazing as to be expected.

Supported by a duo of classical pianists which was unexpected but thoroughly enjoyable.

What gigs have you been to recently and how where they?

They were indeed awesome.  I was there in Coventry with my brother,  we booked our tickets originally in 2020, but had to wait for the rescheduled dates.

Before that, (and pandemic)  I went to see Rammstein at MK Don's stadium in Milton Keynes in 2019.

In December 2019 I went to Sweden for the Sabaton Cruise... the band hired out an entire cruise ship, sold cabins to fans,  then we sailed across the baltic from Stocholm to Tallinn on Estonia and back again (after a day in Tallinn)  with a heavy metal concert on board in both directions, with a few different bands as support acts (names elude my memory, but I can look up pics later)

I also went to Black Sabbaths final live show in Birmingham back on Feb 4th 2017.  It was an amazing show, but also tinged with sadness, knowing that it was the final show.

Black Sabbath was going to be my first ever live show, until at the last minute I saw tickets on sale to see Sabaton in London the week before... so for £30 plus my rail fare I went to see Sabaton as my first show

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.