Sniper fps

GazzHales

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Bolt actions are limited to 500FPS on 0.2g. If you have a look at a joule chart, you'll see that your gun is slightly over the limit, by about 20fps. I'd suggest using a slightly weaker spring.

As above, UK legal and site allowed limit are different things. If you want to find out the latter, you'd need to contact the site you intend to play at.

• Supporters
2 hours ago, SerialNoodle said:

Bolt actions are limited to 500FPS on 0.2g.

It's sad that some woodland sites are still even talking in terms of 0.2g when nobody, literally nobody, is going to be shooting those from a bolt action sniper.  Any site that's actually chronoing snipers using 0.2g is gagging for them to creep over 2.5J with realistic ammo.

Rant aside, yes, OP is a bit over, but kudos for chronoing on 0.32g and talking in Joules.

Is that with the hop set for 0.32g, or with it off?  Opinions vary, especially when we're talking about legal limits (what the gun is capable of), but I also chrono with the hop set for the ammo, and I've never played at a site that requires chronoing with hop off.

It's easy enough to cut a spring.  You're not far over, so I'd go one coil at a time, as heating and flattening the end also knocks a bit off. 

• Supporters
1 hour ago, Rogerborg said:

It's sad that some woodland sites are still even talking in terms of 0.2g when nobody, literally nobody, is going to be shooting those from a bolt action sniper.

you say that, i did once have a duel with a chap who was running 0.2's from a bolty outdoors.

problem was it was a flat 1j field and that happened to be the day i felt like running the .48's.

so when i say duel, it was kinda one-sided....

If its a newish gun or spring then before cutting it down I would try 'scragging' it first. This basically involves keeping the spring compressed for a day or so. Basically simulating a few months of wear.

In theory if the spring was properly tempered this would make little difference (it doesn't with a quality airgun spring), but in practice most airsoft springs seem to be not 100% tempered so this might well bring it under the limit. 

Worked for me the other day when I fitted a new aeg spring. I had to use a long bolt, nut and washers, but you could just leave the gun cooked for a day or two.

22 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

I dunno, that sounds like a half baked idea.

Surely you mean a half-cocked idea 😂

It can work though. 

12 hours ago, Floperator said:

bring it under the limit.

The original question referred to legal limit, not (necessarily) site. It's been established it's not over this.

• Supporters
7 hours ago, Cr0-Magnon said:

The original question referred to legal limit, not (necessarily) site. It's been established it's not over this.

<ackchyually> The legal limit is with "any missile" that it's capable of shooting.  It could very well be over 2.5J without hop applied, or with a heavier BB.  There's no reason that the State can't drop a 6mm steel BB in there for testing, since the legislation is targeted at potential harm.  It's quite possible that a lot of our "non-firearms" might actually fall foul of a destructive test.</ackchyually>

8 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

<ackchyually> The legal limit is with "any missile" that it's capable of shooting.  It could very well be over 2.5J without hop applied, or with a heavier BB.  There's no reason that the State can't drop a 6mm steel BB in there for testing, since the legislation is targeted at potential harm.  It's quite possible that a lot of our "non-firearms" might actually fall foul of a destructive test.</ackchyually>

100%

BUT

Having spent some time recently at an RFD, when the rozzers come in about anything other than a real firearm, they’re only ever concerned with the power of an air gun they’ve just confiscated, they literally could not give a shit about anything airsoft.

The RFD sells all three btw

• Supporters
10 minutes ago, rocketdogbert said:

they literally could not give a shit about anything airsoft

Hopefully they never see any of those HPA metal-shredding BB-hose videos. ;)

Sure, it's not really a concern, especially for a bolt action in in EnglandWaleshire when at most it'll just get bumped up a category to a very low powered air rifle.

Scotland, on the other hand... <looks around nervously>

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.