Mid caps replace springs?

SilentSparky

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I've noticed a couple of my cheapish M4 mags (Cyma or BattleAxe) have started to lose compression, they're a couple of years old. I'm getting the odd misfeed and the last 15-20 BB's no longer feed, also noticeable that they come out with less punch when emptying mags after a game day.

So is it worth changing out the springs and if so from where? or just replace the mags?

EDIT: should add that I only load the night before a game and empty the mags when I get home from a game day

Edited by SilentSparky

• Supporters

it's certainly possible to replace feed springs, maple airsoft do replacements although they can be hard to find.

i've also done it replacing springs/followers in e&l mags with cyma ones, but that would mean buying whole mags which would kinda defeat the purpose.

• Supporters

Sad times. I have a stack of tired midcaps looking to meet new springs, but can't find any.  It's not the cost, it's that I have a principled objection to disposing of anything that could be repaired.  If anyone does find a source, please sing out.

18 minutes ago, Skara said:

https://www.mapleairsoftsupply.ca/products/superfeed-series-high-speed-replacement-magazine-springs-generation-2-w-heat-treating-pack-of-3

These seem to be rated as the best midcap springs out there. If I'm not mistaken murder mags use these.

+1 for these, they're ace.

Something to keep in mind though is that there's differering guidance on how to cut them and it depends on the version of the spring as well iirc. They're far too long to fit the entire spring in the mag, and I found it difficult to have confidence in knowing I was cutting at the right point.

So, with that in mind it's better to cut off less than you think, and if it's too strong after that, and breaking the spring in doesn't help, then you should cut more off.

The general rule of thumb people seem to agree on is "Feed the spring in until it starts to get quite difficult, then cut the rest off, leaving an inch to spare that you then cram into the magazine"

Another thing to consider is better followers, the default follower used in most double-stack rifle mags is just a follower for a single-stack mag, this means that it can bunch up - it might not jam the mag itself but the added friction can impact feeding IME.

Others have 3D printed their own followers but it's hard to find any for sale in the UK. I've actually just bought some PTS EPM followers as they look compatible with regular mags - at the most, I'd need to shave the sides a little. I'll post here if that makes a difference with my mags!

• Supporters
3 hours ago, Adolf Hamster said:

it's certainly possible to replace feed springs, maple airsoft do replacements although they can be hard to find.

Lots of stock at Fire Support https://www.fire-support.co.uk/product/maple-airsoft-super-feed-3-pack-midcap-magazine-springs-gen-2

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.