Ball bag LMG Box Mags - How do you improve their feed?

Groot

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hello

I have a classic army stoner and it comes with this type of mag

1200 BB Box Magazine For The M249 AEG (Tan)

Some times it feeds flawlessly. Sometimes it winds and stops and there is no pressure on the BBs.

Is there a known list of mods to improve, mod links or any recommendations? 

Thank you

Groot

I'm assuming you've checked out all the BullGear internal replacement parts but either can't or don't want to go down that route at the moment?

What are the internals on this one anyway, is it the "loading platform" type? In which case, could you substitute it with the MAG brand version (I think you'd need to retain the section where it meets the actual gun). It's a bit more straightforward.

If you don't want to look at buying anything, just mods, then I'd probably be looking at making sure the bowden feed spring is good (can cause feed issues if it's been stretched) and looking at wiring options. Is it sound activated, pressure switch, direct wired? Other possibilities are jamming due to dirt/off sized BB's. Usually you can pull the spring from the gun portion and determine if it's a jam in that tube or internally, which might at least give you some pointers.

7 minutes ago, Hatchet said:

I'm assuming you've checked out all the BullGear internal replacement parts but either can't or don't want to go down that route at the moment?

What are the internals on this one anyway, is it the "loading platform" type? In which case, could you substitute it with the MAG brand version (I think you'd need to retain the section where it meets the actual gun). It's a bit more straightforward.

If you don't want to look at buying anything, just mods, then I'd probably be looking at making sure the bowden feed spring is good (can cause feed issues if it's been stretched) and looking at wiring options. Is it sound activated, pressure switch, direct wired? Other possibilities are jamming due to dirt/off sized BB's. Usually you can pull the spring from the gun portion and determine if it's a jam in that tube or internally, which might at least give you some pointers.

I have found that Bullgear option and that maybe where i end up.

Some times it feeds perfectly. 

It just seems that the bbs for the most part arent getting picked up by the wind and pushed into the tube. 
When i take the tube off.... No pressure.

Have you had it apart inside? I know one of the previous CA ones I had an odd loading platform that pushes things up, whereas the others basically use M4 hicap on its side.

I've had a couple of different Bullgear ones and I'd recommend one of the inserts that fits into legit M249 cloth pouches. Mostly because you can easily pick up replacement out shells for £10 from your local surplus if yours starts to play up. Their own 3d printed hard wired one is much easier to load, but the fit is too picky (and I suspect you wouldn't be able to use it on the stoner anyway).

52 minutes ago, Hatchet said:

Have you had it apart inside? I know one of the previous CA ones I had an odd loading platform that pushes things up, whereas the others basically use M4 hicap on its side.

I've had a couple of different Bullgear ones and I'd recommend one of the inserts that fits into legit M249 cloth pouches. Mostly because you can easily pick up replacement out shells for £10 from your local surplus if yours starts to play up. Their own 3d printed hard wired one is much easier to load, but the fit is too picky (and I suspect you wouldn't be able to use it on the stoner anyway).

It has the pushes thing up thing and then down into a channel where it winds.

I assume you undo the screws on the top side of the box and the top comes off? 

• Supporters

Iirc thats the same mechanism as i had retrofitted to the '42 to replace the awful agm trommel mag.

From memory the spring for the winding portion on mine snapped at the end where it interfaced with the winding wheel meaning no tension on the bb stack, might be worth checking out.

Another thing to look for is the length of the bowden tube, dont want excess that means extra friction and potential for tight bends.

17 hours ago, Adolf Hamster said:

Iirc thats the same mechanism as i had retrofitted to the '42 to replace the awful agm trommel mag.

From memory the spring for the winding portion on mine snapped at the end where it interfaced with the winding wheel meaning no tension on the bb stack, might be worth checking out.

Another thing to look for is the length of the bowden tube, dont want excess that means extra friction and potential for tight bends.

To open the mag. 

I can see by pulling down the fabric a little a number of small screws on side of the mag, which i assume hold the lid on.

Is it a case of removing these and the lid comes off easily or is there more to it?

• Supporters
4 hours ago, Groot said:

To open the mag. 

I can see by pulling down the fabric a little a number of small screws on side of the mag, which i assume hold the lid on.

Is it a case of removing these and the lid comes off easily or is there more to it?

if it's the type i'm thinking of there are also a bunch of pop tabs (the devils work) that hold the mech in (the screws go into them)

iirc you also need to disconnect the springloaded plate from the telescoping puller on the underside, it's a pin but not a tight-fit one. more of a pita to reinstall than remove.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.