I have been playing......

RobHedley

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

It all started when I decided to turn an outbuilding into an indoor range for Airsoft. It was originally going to be some knock down targets and some paper targets with some form of BB catcher. This quickly turned into 'It would be good to have a system where I can have targets appear'. So I pulled out my Raspberry Pi that I had originally bought years ago to develop an LCD Dash for my Race Simulator. I ended up being gifted a working one from a company that made them so it was put back in its box and into a cupboard. After a bit of research, as I have never developed anything on the Pi, I ordered some vibration sensors from Amazon and grabbed some micro servos from the workshop.

Now the idea I had was a small hit plate held on a base that would when 'off' would sit side on to the shooter. When 'on' it would rotate 90 degrees. The vibration sensor would then register any hits whilst it was rotated and score them. I fired up Fusion 360 and started designing the hit plate and base that would house the Servo. Onto the 3d Printer and many hours later I had both of the main components (I still need to design and print the arm the servo will connect to but I will do that when I have the hit plate mounted so I can work out the perfect position).

I then fired up the Raspberry Pi and started coding (after a bit of youTube research!). Below is a video of the initial tests. To explain the parts you can see in the video, the big white plate is the hit plate and you are looking at the back of it. The small circuit with the 2 green LEDs is the vibration sensor. The big black block is the base where you can see the servo mounted within it. You can also see the Raspberry Pi with the signal wires plugged in. The white breadboard is being used to supply 5v to the servo and 3.3v to the sensor.

After I run the code, which is a very early test, the User Interface is displayed (which will eventually show the mode selection, the timer, the results etc etc). Click go, it counts down from 3 and then moves the servo 90 degrees. Once this is connected to the hit plate once it is mounted, this will rotate the plate to face the shooter. I then tap the hit plate to simulate a BB hitting the plate, the vibration sensor recognises this a fires off the correct function in the code. Once the plate it it, you see the servo do a little wiggle (signifying a hit) and then returns to its original position which would turn the hit plate side on to the shooter.

This initial test is for a speed mode where all the targets (I am thinking 6) turn to face the shooter at the same time, the shooter has to hit each one as quickly as possible and is timed until the last one turns back.

Any other ideas that I can add to this? Any idea on other modes I can code in to this? Once this is done I will share all the code and stl files if someone else wants to make it as well. let me know what you think gents.

Edited by RobHedley

Good on you for putting this together. To me it looks like a home brew of the attacksense system but with servos to indicate a target to shoot instead of LEDs. 

I'm not sure how many game modes you could have given the setup but the obvious ones are just random targets in sequence or random simultaneous targets. Increasing the difficulty with more random targets or less time to shoot the presented targets. 

Good luck to you! And I hope you don't shoot the raspberry pi during testing :)

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.