White buildup in barrel after only 400 rounds

steverebo

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

So my gun shoots like a laser but after skirmishing it this evening I had massive accuracy issues after the first 90 minute game and looking my barrel it was full of a white residue I managed to removed it all with the unjamming end of my cleaning rid and my accuracy went back to laser perfect.

It's a ZCI 200mm barrel, I have never had build up like this with any gun I've owned I use blaster devil bb's on all my guns so what could be causing this. I tried polishing the barrel hoping that might help but it still builds up instantly 

Edited by steverebo

Take a pic or two chap.  Scrape a bit of this white crud with a thumb nail and describe the consistency. 

Could be a lot of things, lithium grease, BB residue, God's message of impending Armageddon etc. 

31 minutes ago, DerDer said:

Did you clean the ZCI barrel before installing it? Out of the box barrels can have a lot of gunk in it. 

Yep thoroughly with isopropyl alcohol I've also polished the inner barrel 

Could try cleaning it again and try a different brand of BBs.  Alternative might be to try cracking open the gearbox. Could be whoever put the gearbox together was overly generous with the application of grease or utilised the wrong type of lubricant. 

• Supporters

wonder if there's something in the hop/nozzle/barrel window that's scratching the ammo.

other option is maybe it's a bad batch of ammo, with excessive dust.

whilst the tighter bore stuff is more sensitive to needing cleaned more regularly it's not that sensitive and one of those zci's should be able to handle a day's worth of pewing (~2k rounds) before really having issues.

• Supporters

Huh, that's new.  Even if the gearbox was packed with white lithium/ptfe grease I wouldn't expect it to keep spooging out indefinitely.

Are those bio BBs by any chance?

28 minutes ago, Adolf Hamster said:

wonder if there's something in the hop/nozzle/barrel window that's scratching the ammo.

other option is maybe it's a bad batch of ammo, with excessive dust.

whilst the tighter bore stuff is more sensitive to needing cleaned more regularly it's not that sensitive and one of those zci's should be able to handle a day's worth of pewing (~2k rounds) before really having issues.

It's the stock g&g plastic hop and stock plastic nozzle, I will check for any burrs when I get home but surely that would effect the trajectory of the bb and once the barrel is clean it is laser sharp accurate.

I have used vorsk .25 blaster devil .25 and some .25 tracer rounds all have had this issue.

When I cleaned the barrel out on site the residue came off like a skin in bits 

• Supporters
20 minutes ago, steverebo said:

It's the stock g&g plastic hop and stock plastic nozzle, I will check for any burrs when I get home but surely that would effect the trajectory of the bb and once the barrel is clean it is laser sharp accurate.

I have used vorsk .25 blaster devil .25 and some .25 tracer rounds all have had this issue.

When I cleaned the barrel out on site the residue came off like a skin in bits 

yeah it's a long shot wrt the burrs, as you say should affect accuracy all the time.

nothing like dirt from magazines? what hop rubber ye running?

52 minutes ago, Adolf Hamster said:

yeah it's a long shot wrt the burrs, as you say should affect accuracy all the time.

nothing like dirt from magazines? what hop rubber ye running?

I'm using the g&g drum magazine.

43 minutes ago, Speedbird_666 said:

What did you polish the barrel with?

I used some good old brass and drill and then thoroughly cleaned it out with isopropyl alcohol 

• Supporters
46 minutes ago, steverebo said:

I'm using the g&g drum magazine.

hmm, iirc those do have a coil tube for feeding the ammo up, which can be abrasive to ammo.

although decent ammo shouldn't be that badly affected, plenty of them mags in service.

48 minutes ago, steverebo said:

I used some good old brass and drill and then thoroughly cleaned it out with isopropyl alcohol 

brasso? yeah that might do it, leaving that residue stuff. ipa might not be the right stuff to clean it either.

might be worth giving it a real good buffing with a dry patch.

IPA might not be enough for brasso. I would be soaking in hot soapy water, and a thorough clean/dry without any solvents. 

Otherwise, have you tested another inner barrel? If there's buildup after a couple of mags you can rule out the barrel and focus on other contact points for the BB (Hop Unit, Nozzle etc.)

Edited by Speedbird_666

Having been born at a very early age my job on a Saturday morning was polishing up the brass with,of course,brasso.

Once that was done I could go out to do my sat morning grocery deliveries then the rest of the day was my own lol.

The only brass I collect now goes in the scrap bag.😂😂

Regards 

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.