Dad and son new to airsoft

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hello everyone

Dad and son combo new to airsoft!!!!  Any top tips on what to do and what not to do would be welcome, especially as I'm no spring chicken and the prospect of running around for the day fills me we dread lol.

Any advice on AEG rifles, what to look out for, what's good and what's not etc would be welcome too (I understand there is a qualifying period and joining UKARA before purchasing a solid colour set up).  I'd be budgeting around £300 - £400 for each of us and that would include weapon, mags, batteries, chargers etc etc.

Look forward to hearing your words of wisdom

Thanks

Confused Dad

13 minutes ago, Shamal said:

Hi @ConfusedDadand welcome to the Airsoft asylum 👍

it's good that you and your son are starting together.🙂

I would say read as much as poss to get an understanding of the basics. watch videos( check out our own @GAMBLEhe has a utube channel  with tips and info) and bone up on the rules of your chosen site.

Spring chicken 🐓 or not your gonna have to run till you drop! Lol.

No seriously you can take it at your own pace,play within your comfort zone and remember you are there for fun not punishment. I'm very late sixties now and I have times when I break into a sweat but most times I'm creeping around looking for glory lol.

£300-£400 is a good amount and you will get some good gear for that.Specna arms edge series, are in my opinion,a good bet as well as g&g stuff. Be guided a little bit by what you personally like the look of,after you will be using it.

It might be a good idea to play as a rental player for your first few games to get a feel for it and to decide if it's for you before spending out and also get to look at other people's equipment ( ooh matron).😊

Make sure that you invest in good quality eyepro and nice sturdy boots with ankle support.gloves will protect fingers although direct hit will still be felt but not so bad.Lower face pro is advised but not compulsory unless player is under 18? Check with site.

Above all have fun( you are paying)

Listen to briefings,watch other people,ask questions,play within your limits,call your hits and have a great time👍

Regards 

Thanks Shamal

Got the eye and face protection, gloves and boots sorted as don't fancy losing and eye or teeth (difficult one to explain away bringing my son home with a gaping smile lol) and it's my son's birthday so made for easy presents lol.

Yes going to rent to start with but been looking at shiny things (oh so tempting !!!) and before I jump head long in to the rabbit hole, getting a general heads up on what's good and what's not would be very helpful.  We both like the look and feel of the M4 platform and I believe it's the best for upgrades and add ons.

Thanks for your help and maybe meet you on the field one day!

Welcome Dad and son

Everything pretty much said above.  I'm just over 50 and my son is 17.  He generally runs ahead and I sneak around.  (Knee pads are very handy 😉)

- First, read a lot of the forum.  All the questions have already been asked at some point... 

- Rent for first 3 games to get UKARA registered. As well as being able to buy in realistic black (RIF) it will allow you to experience the action before investing in a pew.  You can chose a long or short style weapon depending on your preference once you get a feel for the games. Even though you haven't mentioned it, Sniper is not advised as a starter.  M4 are the most common for their versatility.

- My top/down list of manufacturers based on price/performance would be JG, CYMA, SpecnaArms, G&G  

- A couple of Li-Po 7.4v 1300mAh for each of you will last a day.  SkyRC S65 charger (+adapter leads needed)  Convert plugs to Deans (T-connectors) or XT30 if you can use a soldering iron.

- Check out https://playairsoft.uk/ for sites near you.  (Google reviews to check)

- As said, have fun.  Its not about winning but having awesome firefights 😁

It was my youngest son that got me into airsoft as well, we both played a rental game in 2020 and were hooked ever since (young teenager and me an overweight old fart).

Every man and his dog can give advice about what to buy, but all I'd say is both get the same rifle, having the exact same stuff makes life so much easier 👍 (same mags, same stocks so you know what batteries fit, if you fix a problem with one rifle you know that you can do the same to the other etc.).

Looking back to my start in airsoft I think there are only two things I'd change, and that's drink way more water (you lose more than you think), and goggles fogging up is a right pain in the arse so get some "Revision" wipes for them.

43 minutes ago, EDcase said:

- As said, have fun.  Its not about winning but having awesome firefights 😁

Exactly that.👍

I've never played to win(right or wrong). I play to get dressed up,use my equipment and get immersed in an activity that indulges my personal fantasy( pack it in Mr Tackle)😂

I used to do it when I was a kid,running around the playground with a stick gun,and making brrr,brrr noises. Only now I can afford a real(ish) stick. It still goes brr,brrr though.( I really must get it fixed)lol.

Regards 

20 minutes ago, Fatboy40 said:

It was my youngest son that got me into airsoft as well, we both played a rental game in 2020 and were hooked ever since (young teenager and me an overweight old fart).

Every man and his dog can give advice about what to buy, but all I'd say is both get the same rifle, having the exact same stuff makes life so much easier 👍 (same mags, same stocks so you know what batteries fit, if you fix a problem with one rifle you know that you can do the same to the other etc.).

Looking back to my start in airsoft I think there are only two things I'd change, and that's drink way more water (you lose more than you think), and goggles fogging up is a right pain in the arse so get some "Revision" wipes for them.

Do revision wipes actually work?

I use Abbey anti fog spray but it's useless ☹️

• Supporters
16 minutes ago, Shamal said:

Do revision wipes actually work?

Surprisingly, yes. I've tried many lotions and potions over the years for biking and then airsoft, and they're the least useless I've come across.

They should be, given the price.  It's worth keeping an eye open for bulk buys that will last you years rather than buying them at the extortionate sums being asked for a couple of them.

8 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

Surprisingly, yes. I've tried many lotions and potions over the years for biking and then airsoft, and they're the least useless I've come across.

They should be, given the price.  It's worth keeping an eye open for bulk buys that will last you years rather than buying them at the extortionate sums being asked for a couple of them.

I'll give them a try👍

Thanks everyone for the welcome and top tips, yes it’s my son who is champing at the bit to start playing but secretly I’m quite excited too (but don’t tell the wife 😉)

19 minutes ago, ConfusedDad said:

I’m quite excited too (but don’t tell the wife 😉)

The die is cast fella. That phrase will emerge more than you realise.

You will learn! 😉

Regards 

6 hours ago, ConfusedDad said:

... secretly I’m quite excited too (but don’t tell the wife 😉)

Mine loves me playing airsoft... she knows she's got rid of her husband and one teenage son for the day 😆

Hi @ConfusedDad 👋

Welcome to the forum, full of advice and like minded players! 🔫🤪👍

Good luck getting started with your budget, keep it simple, have fun and follow the rules! 🤞👍

Have a channel if interested? 🤔

Thanks @Shamal for the mention! 🔫😎👍

💷GAMBLE💷

49 minutes ago, ConfusedDad said:

What receipts 🤔🤣

That's the ticket(no pun intended)

You are learning.lol

Years ago when I was into small radio control helicopters i talked the RC shop manager into putting cheaper prices on my boxes so a £50 helio became reduced to £5.

I would leave box on table and Mrs shamal would say,"wow! That's a good reduction"to which I would say "yeah at that price I couldn't say no"

🤭

Regards 

Great advice above, nothing much to add to it except some other bits of kit you might not have considered:

Kneepads, or trousers with built-in kneepads

Something to hang all your kit off, whether that be a belt/battle belt, assault vest or plate carrier ( this item is the perfect happy medium for me)

Weapon sling, I like the bungee ones

Wet weather gear, even if it's just a surplus DPM goretex jacket you can throw on over the top of everything.

There really is no limit to the amount of needless accessories you can buy in this hobby but I'd consider the above to be pretty essential.

1 minute ago, Floperator said:

Great advice above, nothing much to add to it except some other bits of kit you might not have considered:

Kneepads, or trousers with built-in kneepads

Something to hang all your kit off, whether that be a belt/battle belt, assault vest or plate carrier ( this item is the perfect happy medium for me)

Weapon sling, I like the bungee ones

Wet weather gear, even if it's just a surplus DPM goretex jacket you can throw on over the top of everything.

There really is no limit to the amount of needless accessories you can buy in this hobby but I'd consider the above to be pretty essential.

I’m sure all the kit will follow at some point and soon enough I’ll be wondering round with all the gear and still no idea 🤣🤣

26 minutes ago, ConfusedDad said:

I’m sure all the kit will follow at some point and soon enough I’ll be wondering round with all the gear and still no idea 🤣🤣

TBH you'll get a much better idea of what you need/want by going and having a few games.

Quite often something that looks super tacticool and slick in the comfort of your own garage turns out to be impractical and/or ludicrously uncomfortable during actual gameplay. I'm now on the 3rd or 4th incarnation of my loadout and its 99% there, but I've spunked a bit of money up the wall getting to this point, some of which I could have avoided if I was a bit more patient...

Edited by Floperator
sp

• 2 months later...

Dad's and their kids eh? 😂

I'm the same. Mate of mine got us into it (he's currently at some massive weekend gig with 3000 other like minded nutters) and now me and both my boys are into it. 

So much so that the kids games "room" is slowly being converted into an armoury!! 

I've bought a couple of second hand guns and stripped them down, sorting out what I can, so that I'm now jealous of the youngest (9!!!) and his Mp5sd!!! 

I don't run, I think of it as tactical walking. Knee pads are a really good idea!!! 

Don't get bogged down with "everything must be perfect" type clothes, unless you're wearing a guantanamo Bay orange overall, most things blend in with your surroundings. 🤣👍

Oh and don't accidentally shoot your boy as he's ventured too far ahead as he'll never let you forget it.. 😂😂

Call your hits and love every daft second of it. 👍👍

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.