Hop arm pressure.

Red Fox

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Looking for a little advice on increasing the pressure applied by a hop arm.

The RIF is an ASG SA58 OSW, fitted with a Maple Leaf Macaron 70° & Omega nub.

More for convenience, as my other RIFs run on them, I would like to feed it with .32s but am struggling to get it to lift anything over .28s currently.

Does anyone have any tips or tricks for increasing pressure?

• Supporters

you could try a softer compound? go with the 50/60 degree?

other option which i've done, more for gbb hops but in theory it should work for an aeg is a little square of aeg hop rubber as a shim.

4 minutes ago, Adolf Hamster said:

you could try a softer compound? go with the 50/60 degree?

It's a matter of the hop arm not pushing down enough rather than hop rubber hardness tbf.

Back when I wasn't running Maxx hop units I used to shim my tensioners with half of a standard tube tensioner (tensioner-ception) placed between the hop arm and actual tensioner.

A square piece of hop rubber will also do, as @Adolf Hamstersuggested, but try to place it between the arm and Omega nub.

• Supporters

Yes, that, I use cut-up pieces of heat-shrink.  I find it a bit confusing to see even "God tier" techs like Luke at Negative say that a given gun just won't lift 0.3 or 0.32g.  I'm pretty sure it will with a little shimming.  Sure, it's a bodge, but it's a very simple one, and it's not like physics works differently inside a hop unit than in the real world.

• Supporters
2 hours ago, Skara said:

It's a matter of the hop arm not pushing down enough rather than hop rubber hardness tbf.

true, but for a given level of tension a softer compound will do a better job of gripping/spinning.

4 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

I find it a bit confusing to see even "God tier" techs like Luke at Negative say that a given gun just won't lift 0.3 or 0.32g.

i guess if you're limited (in lukes case by the customer) in terms of what you can swap out then it makes sense that a given platform will struggle.

dialing up the pressure is one thing, but eventually there comes a point where it's too much. recall working on a bolty that was a literal knife edge between hopping perfectly and jamming, like you thought about possibly breathing in the general direction of the hop adjustment wheel from 20 miles away and it'd jam kind of sensitive.

however yes, for the most part you can get a lot of guns to lift the heavies with sufficient effort.

I know others have commented, with better advice than I could ever give, but is this not what the Maple Leaf MR was invented for? A consistent and better hop of heavier BB's without having to apply masses of pressure on the patch?

I run MR's in two AEG's and one DMR now, the AEG's using 0.28g and the DMR 0.40g, and I don't need to have crazy amounts of hop applied to lift them (and can substantially over hop them very easily).

1 hour ago, Fatboy40 said:

I know others have commented, with better advice than I could ever give, but is this not what the Maple Leaf MR was invented for? A consistent and better hop of heavier BB's without having to apply masses of pressure on the patch?

I run MR's in two AEG's and one DMR now, the AEG's using 0.28g and the DMR 0.40g, and I don't need to have crazy amounts of hop applied to lift them (and can substantially over hop them very easily).

I have the same hop combination in 2 other RIFs & they, like yours, work very well with minimal pressure. Just this ASG is lacking. Guess it could be down to a less firm plastic in the hop arm or not as much travel in the arm as the others.

• Supporters
1 hour ago, Red Fox said:

Guess it could be down to a less firm plastic in the hop arm or not as much travel in the arm as the others.

Does sound likely, im guessing its a proprietary unit given the gun its in.

1 hour ago, Adolf Hamster said:

Does sound likely, im guessing its a proprietary unit given the gun its in.

I believe so yes, I can't find anything that says otherwise. But would be very happy to be corrected on that!

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.