The ABS plastic on TM gas pistols

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I know that the plastic used by Marui often turns shiny with use. This has been the case with many of its earlier pistols, notably the G17 Gen 3.

Do the later, improved TM pistols suffer from the same problem, or have Marui found a way eliminate, or at least limit  it?

21 minutes ago, emilianoksa said:

I know that the plastic used by Marui often turns shiny with use. This has been the case with many of its earlier pistols, notably the G17 Gen 3.

Do the later, improved TM pistols suffer from the same problem, or have Marui found a way eliminate, or at least limit  it?

Cerakote lol. Otherwise, the gen4’s appear the same to me

The FNX’s are fine though,,way better than the Glocks 🤷🏼‍♂️

Thanks.

Yes, I've noticed that my FNX 45 doesn't seem to suffer from it. And when the black TM FNX and black VFC FNX are laid down together for comparison, it is not immediately obvious which is which.

As for cerakoting plastic, could I ask you two questions?

1. Does it protect the plastic from serious scratching and scuffing?

2. Is it cheaper to have plastic cerakoted than metal, since there is presumably less preparation involved before spraying?

1 minute ago, emilianoksa said:

2. Is it cheaper to have plastic cerakoted than metal, since there is presumably less preparation involved before spraying?

1. No more so than anything metallic

2. No, prep is identical

6 minutes ago, rocketdogbert said:
8 minutes ago, emilianoksa said:

1. No more so than anything metallic

2. No, prep is identical

Can I play devil's advocate here and maybe suggest changing the parts to aftermarket (ie. nylon fiber frames & alu slides)?

I suggest that since cerakote is not permanent (esp. if you use kydex holsters) and you could just upgrade the shiny part itself for the same cost or just slightly more.

Added to this I don't believe you can use the bake-on H series or Elite series cerakote on plastic. It will have to be air-cured C series which I equate to very good quality spray paint...

Sure you might lose some performance with metal slides but if it's the aesthetics you're after I think it's money better spent.

Edited by frontsight

14 minutes ago, frontsight said:

Added to this I don't believe you can use the bake-on H series or Elite series cerakote on plastic. It will have to be air-cured C series which I equate to very good quality spray paint...

Whilst you’re right, switching parts out is around the same price, they never “just fit”, there’s always issues to overcome

And you’re  wrong about the Cerakote, of course you can use normal coatings. The only caveat is if you want to Cerakote polymer, it has to have much higher melting point than your oven.

All airsoft polymer is fine for this, 3D printed parts not necessarily lol

1 hour ago, emilianoksa said:

My TM M9 U.S is a little shiny and that is a newer design then most, I can tell my TM FN57 will be as well if I didn't change over to the Guarder kit. 

Gold Match will probably go shiny, but my DOR probably wont. 

1 hour ago, rocketdogbert said:

The FNX’s are fine though,,way better than the Glocks 🤷🏼‍♂️

You sure love those FNX's haha.

Just now, Cr0-Magnon said:

You sure love those FNX's haha.

Like/Dislike. Performance wise, they’re superb. Aesthetically, they are abhorrent 

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.