Solo Holiday advice. Where to go for Sea, Sand and Culture?

Asomodai

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hello all. 

Need some advice from the brain trust! 

I have the next 10 days off . Thinking of jetting off somewhere last minute. 

I solo holidayed in Tenerife earlier on the in the year, which was fine for activities (I bodyboard and snorkel), however was very light on culture and with everyone coupled or grouped up it was quite a lonely experience.

Can anyone recommend a place which is good for solo travellers and has both Culture, Sun and sea? Something I can get through an agency so I am covered if the flight is cancelled! 

I am already booked to visit Lisbon in September with my Brother and Mother so that's out, Other places that I have visited include, Malaga Spain, Belgium, Paris France, Malta, Cape Verde, Florence Italy, Sri Lanka and Cyprus. Out of all of them I enjoyed Malta the most, but not looking to go back. 

I was looking at doing a weekend in Budapest for the culture (And Surplus shops) and then maybe going somewhere by the sea, but unsure. 

Sticking to Europe/North Africa for this (Anywhere else is too expensive!)

What say the hive mind?

Edited by Asomodai

Before I got to your last comment about "sticking to Europe/North Africa" my initial thought was Cuba.  Of the places to go in the Carib it's one of the cheapest, has plenty of sites of historical interest, all that cool 50's Americana in the cars, friendly people etc.  Might be a bit of a budget buster in some regards, but the beach hotels are often all-inclusive so if you like your food and drink as much as I do, you can get some good value for money out of it :)

That's all said with a big disclaimer though: I've not been there myself, I've been to the Dominican Republic (several times, going there again shortly) - and Jamaica, but my sister-in-law went and she loved it.  I think it's popular for sea sports, diving etc, you'll definitely get the 'sea' part of the equation.
It is of course hurricane season so you'll get sun / cloud / evening thunderstorms, and 30C temps

Egypt might be worth a shout, you can stay in Hurghada on the Red Sea for some proper snorkelling, and perhaps as a hangover from the terrorist attack a few years ago, the prices are very good in comparison to other places.  It's proper "scorchio" too.  Again, not been there (yet).  Tried to persuade the wife again this year, but she prefers to stick to Europe / Carib

Just been to Portugal, around Faro and Albufeira... very impressed with Portugal, but if you've already done Lisbon...

21 minutes ago, RostokMcSpoons said:

Before I got to your last comment about "sticking to Europe/North Africa" my initial thought was Cuba.  Of the places to go in the Carib it's one of the cheapest, has plenty of sites of historical interest, all that cool 50's Americana in the cars, friendly people etc.  Might be a bit of a budget buster in some regards, but the beach hotels are often all-inclusive so if you like your food and drink as much as I do, you can get some good value for money out of it :)

That's all said with a big disclaimer though: I've not been there myself, I've been to the Dominican Republic (several times, going there again shortly) - and Jamaica, but my sister-in-law went and she loved it.  I think it's popular for sea sports, diving etc, you'll definitely get the 'sea' part of the equation.
It is of course hurricane season so you'll get sun / cloud / evening thunderstorms, and 30C temps

Egypt might be worth a shout, you can stay in Hurghada on the Red Sea for some proper snorkelling, and perhaps as a hangover from the terrorist attack a few years ago, the prices are very good in comparison to other places.  It's proper "scorchio" too.  Again, not been there (yet).  Tried to persuade the wife again this year, but she prefers to stick to Europe / Carib

Just been to Portugal, around Faro and Albufeira... very impressed with Portugal, but if you've already done Lisbon...

Ta for the advice. I do think the majority of that is considerably over my budget! 

Looking at 500-600 tops for flights and hotel. 

I haven't been to Lisbon yet, but will be in September. It would be ideal otherwise.

8 minutes ago, Steveocee said:

Amsterdam. You won't be alone for long if you have a wallet.

Ahh, I see! For info if that's what you are thinking I am married!

Not sure that Amsterdam satisfies my Sea/Sun need though! 

I am looking at possibly doing a multi-centre, Budapest for three days and then fly direct to Athens or some beach destination. It's starting to look a little pricey though. Which is why I am thinking of maybe a large town/city next to the sea. 

Edited by Asomodai

3 minutes ago, Asomodai said:

Ta for the advice. I do think the majority of that is considerably over my budget! 

Looking at 500-600 tops for flights and hotel. 

I haven't been to Lisbon yet, but will be in September. It would be ideal otherwise.

Ahh, I see! For info if that's what you are thinking I am married!

Not sure that Amsterdam satisfies my Sea/Sun need though! 

I am looking at possibly doing a multi-centre, Budapest for three days and then fly direct to Athens or some beach destination. It's starting to look a little pricy though. Which is why I am thinking of maybe a large town/city next to the sea. 

Pompy.🤣🤣

So I have a crazy plan. 

London Stansted -> Budapest -> Rimini -> London Stansted. 

Flights come to about 220 quid with cabin luggage. I can grab my Hungarian Surplus camo and then head up to San Marino from Rimini for some tax free Airsoft parts....

It's all coming together ;)

So I couldn't make Italy work within budget and be able to spend 4 days in Budapest. 

I jet off tomorrow to Vienna for 3 nights, a train to Bratislava Slovakia for 2 nights and then train to Budapest for 4 nights. Should be an interesting trip! 

24 minutes ago, Asomodai said:

So I couldn't make Italy work within budget and be able to spend 4 days in Budapest. 

I jet off tomorrow to Vienna for 3 nights, a train to Bratislava Slovakia for 2 nights and then train to Budapest for 4 nights. Should be an interesting trip! 

Didn't fancy including Vienna and/or Prague in that? My girlfriend is from Slovakia but I've never been tempted to visit Bratislava (she's from the Eastern part of the country). We spent some time in Prague recently and I really enjoyed it.....until the whole retinal detachment thing.

For a future trip I would also recommend Gdansk. Rich in history yet modern and even a nice sideside near by (Sopot).

9 minutes ago, Cr0-Magnon said:

Didn't fancy including Vienna and/or Prague in that? My girlfriend is from Slovakia but I've never been tempted to visit Bratislava (she's from the Eastern part of the country). We spent some time in Prague recently and I really enjoyed it.....until the whole retinal detachment thing.

For a future trip I would also recommend Gdansk. Rich in history yet modern and even a nice sideside near by (Sopot).

I am spending three nights in Vienna. 

It's not that I didn't fancy the other places, it's more for simplicity in terms of getting their. A single train with no changes and damn cheap! I haven't ever really "Travelled" before. This is only the 2nd time I have gone on a multi centre holiday and the first time I have solely organised one. 

• Supporters

Just don't be enticed in to any hostels by by mega hot chicks 😉

images (13).jpg

I should imagine other aspects will be cheap too. When I'm in Presov, Slovakia the beer is usually 80 euro cents to 1 eur and you can get a taxi anywhere in the city for EUR 2.50!

Hope you enjoy!

Some useful Slovak:
Dakujem (jack-coo-yem) - Thank you.

Prosim si ucet (pross-im sea ooh-chet) - Please may I have the bill.

Hod sa jebat....(hodge sa ye-batch)....actually I'm not going to translate that one. Try it on a pretty lady though 😉

4 minutes ago, Tackle said:

images (13).jpg

Fun fact, that was filmed in The Czech Republic but one of the conditions was that they didn't set it there. Besides, not trusting "mega hot chicks" is just good common sense.

59 minutes ago, Tackle said:

images (13).jpg

Well I am booked into a Hostel in Vienna. But managed to get a low priced hotel in Bratislava! 

57 minutes ago, Cr0-Magnon said:

I should imagine other aspects will be cheap too. When I'm in Presov, Slovakia the beer is usually 80 euro cents to 1 eur and you can get a taxi anywhere in the city for EUR 2.50!

Hope you enjoy!

Some useful Slovak:
Dakujem (jack-coo-yem) - Thank you.

Prosim si ucet (pross-im sea ooh-chet) - Please may I have the bill.

Hod sa jebat....(hodge sa ye-batch)....actually I'm not going to translate that one. Try it on a pretty lady though 😉

Fun fact, that was filmed in The Czech Republic but one of the conditions was that they didn't set it there. Besides, not trusting "mega hot chicks" is just good common sense.

My brother told me I had to which Hostel before I leave! 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Supporters

@Asomodaiso how did it go mate ? 

Budapest is a hangover made of stone tbh.  I remember Swallow brand fags from before the wall fell.  I think that they were called fitch or similar in Hungarian? 

After a night on the vodka and tokai your lungs felt like leather and your guts felt perforated.

Pre-91 the easiest way to get warpac kit was to offer cash to bored squaddies at border posts etc.  

@Asomodai ready for a holiday then!? 😂

No more ‘SE Tour’, it’ll be the Euro tour 😁

Being able to play an instrument is a great bringer-together of people! Glad you had a good time!!

• 1 month later...

I can not be original and spend my weekend in London lmao. Started from meeting with bro and going to hair stylist. Because its time to make haircut. Cool hair salon checked here because I do not know many cool salons in London becasue I recently moved to England. 

Edited by grandex

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.