Can I use a RIF?

Ryder742

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I am quite new to airsoft and would like to buy my first gun. I am 14, but have adults willing to "gift" me my first airsoft gun. I would like to start off with an M4 of some kind, preferably a RIF rather an IF, but would it be possible?

If my dad has a licence would it cover me to use a RIF at a site, rather than using an IF, if he brought it and gave it to me, or would I be limited to two-tone guns until I have my own license?

Edited by Jedi_Master
It is "a" RIF and "an" IF

21 minutes ago, Ryder742 said:

I am quite new to airsoft and would like to buy my first gun. I am 14, but have adults willing to "gift" me my first airsoft gun. I would like to start off with an M4 of some kind, preferably an RIF rather an an IF, but would it be possible?

If my dad has a licence would it cover me to use an RIF at a site, rather than using an IF, if he brought it and gave it to me, or would I be limited to two-tone guns until I have my own license?

You using a RIF will cause no issues.

if someone wants to gift you a Rif then that’s perfectly acceptable. It’s only at point of sale that it becomes tricky.

you cannot legally buy a RIF yourself until you are 18 and have a ‘defence’ 

As above, Yep, your dad can buy you a RIF and gift it to you completely legally and you can use it at a game with no issues.

(Remember to make sure its not seen in public at all)

Edited by EDcase

• Supporters
10 hours ago, Ryder742 said:

If my dad has a licence

To expand on all the correctness above, there's no "licence" for purchase or ownership.  The offence is committed by the seller, at the point of sale, and they need a case-by-case defence for each sale. 

The most common defence is airsoft site membership, which is recorded in the UKARA database (UKARA is really just a central list of site membership, the UKARA numbers are issued by sites). That would require your dad to play himself though, at least 3 times over a period of at least 8 weeks.  Other schemes exist, and some retailers will accept other defences, both real and imaginary - it's entirely up to each seller what they'll accept, and private sellers might be less fussed.

The good news is that if your responsible adult can get his hands on a RIF, then he's absolutely fine to do so - he's committing no offence by purchasing it, or by gifting it to you.

But I would stress the important of being very careful what you do with it, both in public, and even in private: folk have had their doors put in by armed response when IFs (let alone RIFs) have been spotted through a window.  Public possession of a RIF or an IF is an offence, and requires a case-by-case "reasonable excuse", i.e. being at or on the way to or from an airsoft event.

Good on you for asking, that's an encouraging sign that you're likely to be responsible.

• Jedi_Master changed the title to Can I use a RIF?
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.