RIFs on a Plane

Dan Robinson

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I should have my UKARA by the time I go go Japan at Christmas.... Well I l'd have it now if it wasn't for those pesky c***** at North Hants Council shutting Special Ops for a while. 

My lad has his eye on a Lee Enfield in a shop near our flat l, and I have a mind to get myself a Christmas treat as well. 

To bring these back to the UK am I right in. Saying that as long as they're labelled with my Ukara defence and in the stowed luggage, I should be OK to bring them into the country. 

Damn this shop is a glorious place to be LOL.  Shame they don't have a range for testing 😭

Thanks in advance. 

20220412_163703.jpg

20220412_163700.jpg

20220412_162648.jpg

it will depend on the airlines policy regards firearms/replica fire arms. even if you have a valid defence they may not touch them with a barge poll or require a real steel locked case to transport a RIF so only proper answer you'll get is asking them. 

Sadly getting a sensible answer from JAL is not easy and SWMBO is purposefully unhelpful in these matters as well. 🤣

I'll see what info I can get from them.  Might need some stiff drinks beforehand though. 

Guest Mr. No_Face

I travelled to Japan quite regularly a few years back for airsoft events and other ventures and had no problem bringing my RIFs through customs as long as they were declared prior. Your rifs will be bagged, sealed and labelled. In fact, the only time I had an item ceased was when I bought a Tanto blade which UK customs declared it as a concealable weapon. Which in hindsight is quite strange considering I was able to transport Shurikens and a Kunai blade.

However this was a long time ago. Things may have become a whole lot more strict and as Bigstew mentioned, policies may vary by airline.

I've fired (arf) an email off to them just now, but it's good to see you've not had any issues.

Did you declare it when you checked the baggage? Or just mosey through the red channel? 

I remember taking a load of toy trains there for my nephew as the boy had grown out of them.... SWMBO boxed them weeks before as she went ahead, but didn't take the batteries out of some.  It was a rather sketchy experience in Haneda customs trying to explain the strange noises coming from the box when a load of them started up as I dropped the box onto the counter. 

Thinking about it... She's stitched my up a few times by putting dodgy things in my luggage when I'm travelling alone.  There was another incident involving some insect repellent things she wanted me to bring back to the UK, but did not tell me first. I was fucked if I knew what it was or how to explain it.  Was funny watching this tiny airline girl trying to drag my suitcase up the ramp from the plane for me to explain myself.  The case weighed more than she did. 🤣🤣🤣

Suppose its an incentive to improve my language skills LOL. 

Guest Mr. No_Face
55 minutes ago, Dan Robinson said:

I've fired (arf) an email off to them just now, but it's good to see you've not had any issues.

Did you declare it when you checked the baggage? Or just mosey through the red channel? 

I remember taking a load of toy trains there for my nephew as the boy had grown out of them.... SWMBO boxed them weeks before as she went ahead, but didn't take the batteries out of some.  It was a rather sketchy experience in Haneda customs trying to explain the strange noises coming from the box when a load of them started up as I dropped the box onto the counter. 

Thinking about it... She's stitched my up a few times by putting dodgy things in my luggage when I'm travelling alone.  There was another incident involving some insect repellent things she wanted me to bring back to the UK, but did not tell me first. I was fucked if I knew what it was or how to explain it.  Was funny watching this tiny airline girl trying to drag my suitcase up the ramp from the plane for me to explain myself.  The case weighed more than she did. 🤣🤣🤣

Suppose its an incentive to improve my language skills LOL. 

We declared when our baggage was about to be checked, nothing in advance. No phone call or anything like that. We got questioned a little and that was it. When travelling back from Shinjuku Tokyo the people at Narita Airport didn't ask us anything. They just bagged our RIFS and the katana swords we purchased with a smile on their faces lol. When we arrive back home is when my Tanto blade got ceased but the rest went through.

You know those smiles were masking their inner monologue "henna gaijin" 😅😅😅.  I get it everyday even here in the UK. 

Thanks for the advise.  It's greatly appreciated. We're moving there soon, so I'm on the hunt for their version of Woodland ground to play on near Tokyo. 

If you were using Narita, that just of been a good while ago?  We've been using Heathrow/Haneda for years now.  The trek from Narita was nasty after such a long flight.  Especially by limousine bus. 

Edited by Dan Robinson
Typo's

Guest Mr. No_Face
39 minutes ago, Dan Robinson said:

You know those smiles were masking their inner monologue "henna gaijin" 😅😅😅.  I get it everyday even here in the UK. 

Thanks for the advise.  It's greatly appreciated. We're moving there soon, so I'm on the hunt for their version of Woodland ground to play on near Tokyo. 

If you were using Narita, that just of been a good while ago?  We've been using Heathrow/Haneda for years now.  The trek from Narita was nasty after such a long flight.  Especially by limousine bus. 

Yeah it was probably 10 years ago or more. From Narita we'd hop on the express train that took us into Shinjuku. Dunno always found the journey relaxing after the flight. Whereabouts in Japan are you moving to?

Just realised I still have my PASMO travel cards. Do they still work out there 

Edited by Mr. No_Face

I think pasmo still works, but I get bombarded with different rewards cards and tap to pay cards when I arrive.  It makes me miss cash LOL.   One thing I've learned over the years is that if the Japanese can think of a simple way of doing something, they'll run a mile from it.  With the exception of car hire and public transport. 

We have a family place in Roppongi/Akasaka, but also Kawasaki. Which I prefer as it is a lot less sterile and food is a lot cheaper too. That's where we'll end up living as it's nearest the school I want the boy to go to. 

SWMBO has been organising Japan Rail passes for her and the boy to take advantage of this summer.  Those things are really good value.  Muggins can't go because flights are crazy expensive at the moment.  So I'll be pew pewing more and enjoying a summer of bachelorhood 🍻🍻🍻🍻🍻. Got my tickets booked for Christmas though.  Hoping they've got rid of the stupid COVID-19 app you need to go there though.  Was a royal PITA. 

I imagine that the airport staff here in the UK won't be able to check the UKARA database.  Maybe it's a good idea to speak to your local site, ask them to send an email to your email address stating you're a player at their airsoft site.  Or a phone call to the registered number on their webpage who can then verify you (hoping someone picks up).  

Buy rare stuff in Japan, post it back to yourself, with your defence prominently displayed.

By spares of rare guns so you can can make a killing when you get back

When I went to Hong Kong. The airlines were fine. It was recomended to me to get two receipts for tax reasons.  At Hong Kong Airport I got sent to an inspection office where they coded it as a war game item. I put it in my case and had no probs.  A friend also recommends splitting it in 2 and putting it in 2 suitcases. He brought me back an A&K M60 for just under £200. Good luck. 

Guest Mr. No_Face
15 hours ago, Dan Robinson said:

I think pasmo still works, but I get bombarded with different rewards cards and tap to pay cards when I arrive.  It makes me miss cash LOL.   One thing I've learned over the years is that if the Japanese can think of a simple way of doing something, they'll run a mile from it.  With the exception of car hire and public transport. 

We have a family place in Roppongi/Akasaka, but also Kawasaki. Which I prefer as it is a lot less sterile and food is a lot cheaper too. That's where we'll end up living as it's nearest the school I want the boy to go to. 

SWMBO has been organising Japan Rail passes for her and the boy to take advantage of this summer.  Those things are really good value.  Muggins can't go because flights are crazy expensive at the moment.  So I'll be pew pewing more and enjoying a summer of bachelorhood 🍻🍻🍻🍻🍻. Got my tickets booked for Christmas though.  Hoping they've got rid of the stupid COVID-19 app you need to go there though.  Was a royal PITA. 

Aye sweet🤙:D, well I still got my Pasmo card and I think there's still some money on it lol. Dunno if there's a expiry date on it, can't really tell since my Japanese reading sucks.

thumbnail_IMG_6369.jpg.2430c3c7c3665963d59fea2cb44c000a.jpg

I'm looking to visit again around July/august. Never actually been to Kawasaki-shi but I've been practically everywhere else around Tokyo from, Shinjuku, Akihabara, Asakusa, Shibuya, Chiba, Ginza and my favourite Odaiba. Eating Tempura rice with Teriyaki sauce at the floating restaurant in odaiba was an experience.👌 We even went to some of the more controversial locations like Chiyoda to visit the Yasukuni Shrine. I have an interest in the histories of war coming from a military family so it was an absolute must.

Damn I miss Japan, epic times....

I think it has a time limit of 10 years. I asked the boy and he just has a "Suica" card which is interchangeable with Passmo. The difference seems to be geographic. I've used Suica cards to buy stuff in convenience stores and vending machines as a well as buses and trains.  There's another one called Nanoco, which is another prepay/loyalty card. I think that's just for shops though. 

Kawasaki has a big Korean population so my favourites are the Yaki Niku and Izakaya places.  Developed a bit of a taste for Bashimi (horse sushi), but ironically enough I don't like fish that much LOL.   One night I was left on my own just eating in this underground BBQ place.  Honourable out laws just left their credit card with the wait or and left me to it. That was a happy night 😎

There's a Chicken place in what counts as the rough part of town that sells these wings coated in salt and pepper.  Can chomp my way through dozens of those with a series of cold beers.  Good job it's cheap LOL. I think it's a chain so I'll see what the name is. 

I only go to Akihabara when. The exchange rate is in our favour..... Its far too dangerous otherwise. 

I spoke with JAL today and they pretty much confirmed what you said, but I'll be getting a call back once they've double checked. 

Should be a fun Christmas shopping for pew pews now🎅😜

Just as a side note, to put a dampner on things - anyone planing on going this side of the year book refundable/transferable tickets. The current feeing is they will open without restriction late 2022 but not before the august election.

Also, some shops aren't too friendly to foreigners buying rifs, but are ok with parts and accessories. Echigoya and First were friendly.

As others have said, it will be down to the airline, and some like to charge a not insignificant amount pending on what they class it as. Lufthansa currently charge 250 euro each way plus a security fee if they class it as a fire arm.

Cathy pacific are the only ones I've seen that list it as a toy and just a security check, probably due to the popularity of airsoft in HK

edit: after some searching JAL are ok charge £70 for a processing fee. So get a couple of rifs are you're back in profit

Edited by rj1986

I'm in the fortunate position of haveling a teenager who is fluent and holds a Japanese passport LOL. 

Would appreciate a link to the information you found because I couldn't find anything on their website. 

Selfish though it is, I quite like it the way it is as the planes are half full and I have a temporary spouse Visa so can come and go without too much trouble. 

At the moment you can only go if you have a Japanese passport, have a work visa, or are married to a national.

Once they open up it will be the end of an era for me now that London traffic is back to normal as well 😫.   Lock down was glorious for those of us that were able to work on a whim and drive long distances. 

Any UK travellers will need to be aware how much wearing a mask is considered the norm there now, I think I can count on one hand how many people I saw outside not wearing one.

Edited by Dan Robinson

Heres the JAL link

https://www.jal.co.jp/jba/ba/en_GB/baggage/banned_baggag.html

I normally search for "toy gun" on google with the airline as some classify firearms and replica's differently.

I've been keeping an eye on Japan tourism since my 2020 and then the rescheduled 2021 was cancelled, so hopefully planning for late November and plan on being sensible (mags, gears, barrels) or going all out n going on a TM binge of an FNX, mk46 and mp5

31 minutes ago, Cr0-Magnon said:

Snakes RIF's.

6kAnzfvnNryww.gif

What a wonderful film that was 😂😂

You know, I've been wondering this for a long time since I travel between Japan and the UK quite often, and have lived in Japan before too. I was quite hesitant to buy any RIFs as I was too worried on how to bring it back, so this actually has been a useful post! 

Thanks for asking around, as now I am quite informed too! Can't wait!

And enjoy Japan!

On 10/06/2022 at 16:40, Cr0-Magnon said:

Snakes RIF's.

6kAnzfvnNryww.gif

I haven't read anything in this thread.. I was purely looking to see if someone had meme'd it.

They have, I now no longer need too. I can sleep ok tonight

GG @Cr0-Magnon

I recently came back from Poland with a RIF successfully.

There are some things you shall have to consider, mainly that being the airline, where you're going to/coming from and who you ask.

Some Airlines have a strictly no RIF policy, some allow them, some charge fees for transportation.

What is normally requested is that the RIF is inside a hard case, which is securely locked. The RIF must not have the magazine inserted, nor should neither the RIF or magazine be loaded. I normally slightly disassemble my guns too. If you want to ask about it, don't ask the baggage people. It's always better to ask the security or put it through nothing to declare. Should they need to check it, allow them. They may ask more questions after you've passed the security point however you shouldn't normally be questioned- it depends entirely on who you go to and where you are.

That's about it.

• 6 months later...

Little update....  Getting packed for the plane back home now.  Spent most of the break with a stinking head cold and a fever that knocked me out for two days and nights. 

Which seems to happen every time I come here.  Hey ho. 

Made it to Akihabara this afternoon and picked up a Tokyo Marui Glock 19 for the boy at around £80 and the famous Auto 9 Robocop hand cannon. For about £140.

Spoke to Japan Airlines, and although cutting it close as the want 72 hours notice not 24 (bloody illness), but was told to fax them the spec sheets and a covering note with flight numbers and they'd get back in touch. 

Which of course they did when we were on the train where answering the phone is a big no no culturally.  So had to hoped they'd call again. 

Which they did. 

All I need to do is take the guns to the airport, prove there's no gas in them and they will check them into my hold luggage with no extra charges mentioned. 

Happy days. 

Fingers crossed it is that simple at the Heathrow end.... But if you hear of a terrorist incident tomorrow afternoon, it might be me and the boy. 

Somewhat surprised that a place so technically advanced still relies on fax machines, but this place is a bit weird like that. 

SWMBO is far from impressed however. 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Edited by Dan Robinson

Did you make it?

Far too much kerfuffle in the press about some book for a story about a man and his son being detained at Heathrow to make it onto the front page of BBC News.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.