Steyr Scout

Mad dog 49

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

So, let's talk about the elephant in the room.

In a sea of VSR clones and upgraded homebuilds, SRS beasts and cheap but cheerful cyma snipers, what's peoples opinions of the Steyr Scout from Modify/ASG?

I want one, but at the same time my T-11 is pretty much bang on and I'm afraid it won't get used nowhere near as much as the price tag requires.

I guess if you have a sorted sniper with your upgrades in it, there's no need to change. I was more thinking about folks who are looking for an out the box usable sniper.

I bought one recently and have to say I'm impressed, but I just wondered if anyone else thought the same or if its price puts people off.

I've had mine for several months now, and I'm really loving it.

I've had a few minor niggles, that through trial & error I've managed to sort.

My thoughts (and based solely on my experience):

First of all, in its stock set-up, and using 0.45s it will shoot straight up to around about 65m, but lack the lift for anything more, despite what I've seen online.

It shoots very well up to that point though.

I bought some of the modify H nubs to improve it, and they definitely helped with lift.

However, one problem I noticed is that it would shoot lovely in the morning, but once lunch hit and warmer temperatures my accuracy would take a nosedive.

I tried out a few different set-ups with varying performance before eventually settling on the original style bucking but in 70º (The standard is 60º I believe), paired with the blue modify nub.

Maximum confirmed hit I've had with it so far has been 92 yards, due to summer overgrowth at the site I've been using it at, getting a clear line of sight has been a problem, so further may well be possible.

This has seemed to have sorted it, and I've run it all day for a few games without issue now. (Fingers crossed 🤞)

Barring those initial issues, it's been absolutely wonderful, and probably to be expected, much as you would if you were building or upgrading your own, so not big deal I guess?

It's got a fairly hefty initial price tag, but compared to what I've probably spent upgrading my VSR/T10/T11s etc. I'd say it's come out much cheaper at the end.

A new bucking and nub and it's shooting at least as well as my other, older rifles.

The only other thing I would consider doing to it is finding a new piston to make it as quiet as possible, once such things are available, but that's purely preference and not essential.

20220529_134321.JPG

20220529_134312.JPG

20220515_091743.JPG

Edited by Hudson

I've got the H nubs and a 70 Predator bucking on the way myself. Apparently there is a wasp piston on the way and I think edgi has a range of scout parts too. I've not noticed a change in performance with temperature change, but then I've only recently got it and run it for 1 game day, so it's only had about 200bbs through it but even so, I am impressed with it and how well the standard bucking performs without being broken in.

15 hours ago, Mad dog 49 said:

I guess if you have a sorted sniper with your upgrades in it, there's no need to change

I might have phrased it wrong, let me reiterate.

I still want one because I like the scout rifle concept and, in my eyes, it's an iconic rifle.

Wouldn't be using it as a proper sniper rifle though, If I were to get one I would slap a low powered long eye relief scout optic (plain irons or a small red dot as an alternative), lower the power to no MED levels and enjoy the challenge.

I've heard of a couple of people who have done the same and are enjoying.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.