Jg aug a3

Ant67

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi all got a 2nd hand  Aug a3 , that wasn’t Shooting great when I opened it up the barrel was bent and the hop up rubber was split ,as I’ve got to replace these bits anyway is it worth me upgrading.I’m not one to run around I like to move about  more slowly, maybe turn it into something like a Dmr any ideas thanks 

Aug's are funny guns to work on. You have to love them a little bit to want to do upgrades as the base guns are so cheap that upgrading can very easily overrun the cost of the gun itself. And you will see no return in second hand price based on upgrades. A £130 base gun second hand is like £90. Even upgraded and singing you'd be only looking at £130ish and that could be with £100+ in upgrades. So don't for one minute think you are adding value to the gun.

I'd keep it at 350fps, and concentrate on making it accurate and consistent. With that in mind you should be able to get above average range without needing to limit yourself to single shot only.

Barrel wise the ZCI are a decent brand to look at. AK2M4 have them for a good price. Typically an AUG is a 509mm barrel, but since yours is second hand I would advise measuring it.

I like the Prometheus purple, and G&G green hop rubbers. I've not had any issues with them in AUGS. You can normally find them for under £10.

The gun will also need a chrono doing. If it is under power then a new spring is needed. And with that comes a whole heap of costs.

Upgrading the gearbox. That depends on you.

At the most basic level, If the gun needs a new spring the gearbox will need to be opened in 90% of augs (you may be very lucky and have a quick change spring guide and gearbox). If you do need to open the gearbox to do this a basic service should also be done - Grease, Shims, Spring, and O-ring. All cheap parts... But since you already have it open the temptation to add upgrades can be hard to ignore.

Personally I have tried high speed motors on 18:1 gears, High torque motors on 13:1 gears, and the SHS bore up kits.

From that I would say the 13:1 high torque build is best. It's quieter with less trigger delay. And works very well with a 7.4v lipo setup. Gears £18, Motor £50, Bushings £5, Heads £15, Spring guide £10, spring £5 - So defiantly not the cheap option as you can almost buy another AUG for the money!

If you are cheap just put a high speed motor in. Again I would advise 7.4v. £40 for a Short high speed motor, it's a drop in part and easy to do.

Bore up kits are almost worthless. The old element silent V3 cylinder head and piston head set on a non ported thick walled brass cylinder is more than enough, the set is about £15. Match it with a solid spring guide and some bushings and that's most of the gearbox parts sorted. If the gearbox is working fine I wouldn't even bother to do this until it breaks.

Air seal nozzles can be an absolute pain in the ass as well. I've used the ASG ultimate aug one without any problems, but others can and do have issues with length, that can cause air seal issues.

A mosfet may also be wanted, If running 7.4v you can sort of get away without one, but if you are running 11.1 I would want one to protect the contacts.

So back to a basic gun setup-

ZCI barrel , Hop rubber, - Chrono.
If under power - Spring and service.
Upgrades if you want to go mental but not essential.

For batteries I use 7.4v 2200mah block type batteries. You can find cheaper in other places, but I have always had these 2 brands.

These will fit, You may have to slightly modify the gearbox plate to remove the plastic nub at the bottom of it.

These only charge at 1C (2.2amps) so a charge will always take 1 hour.

https://www.componentshop.co.uk/7-4v-2200mah-30c-continuous-discharge-airsoft-lipo-battery.html

These will also fit and are slightly more expensive but can take a much faster charge if you have a decent enough charger to deal with them.

https://www.componentshop.co.uk/7-4v-2200mah-35c-70c-lipo-battery-giant-power.html

Both batteries need a decent charger.

Edited by Iceni

I'd second the ZCI barrel, got one in mine and its a very good barrel. Personally hop rubber wise I tend to use either Maple leaf or Rocket ones, but Prommy should do well. 

On the spring front, it'sworth checking to see if it has an adjustable spring guide . Many JG's do and my AUG has one (discovered once I'd opened the box to fit a stronger spring !) 

The AUG is a great platform and nice and easy to work on, have fun with it.

Your a star thank you ,going to work down the list a little at a time do you think I should change the plastic hop up for a metal one 

2 minutes ago, Nick G said:

I'd second the ZCI barrel, got one in mine and its a very good barrel. Personally hop rubber wise I tend to use either Maple leaf or Rocket ones, but Prommy should do well. 

On the spring front, it'sworth checking to see if it has an adjustable spring guide . Many JG's do and my AUG has one (discovered once I'd opened the box to fit a stronger spring !) 

The AUG is a great platform and nice and easy to work on, have fun with it.

I’m trying to lol

Plastic hop has no issues. I picked up one of the fancy CNC ones and used it for a while and it didn't do anything better than the plastic one was doing. So no stick to the original one.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.