hop questions

SoupyXo

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Supporters
8 minutes ago, ak2m4 said:

It is indeed a problem.  The wall thickness of a Macaron edges on the thinner side as well so there's even more scope for the bugger to move around. 

True, but the ridges around the rubber are designed to combat that very issue.

The C-Clip is a crap design though, some sniper rifle hops already have grub screws for centring the barrel so yes it could work but you are introducing an additional point of endless fiddling to get things lined up properly. If the hop unit is made well then a tapered collet would probably work (you can get 3D printed ones for the Maxx hop units which would probably work for other hops too).

I have one of these in one of my Maxx units and it seems to hold everything properly steady (although it can be a bit of a pig to get in properly depending on your inner barrel sizes) https://www.airtechstudios.com/products/maxx-advanced-hop-up-chamber-inner-barrel-ring

• Supporters

• Supporters
1 hour ago, SoupyXo said:

so, if im replacing the motor, ill need a pinion gear for it, how do i select the right gear for the motor and gears in the gearbox? 

most motors tend to come with pinions, and the majority of the time folk tend not to care too much about having the exact right pinion matching the exact right gears.

easiest way if you care for such things would be to try and match motor+gearing brand.

which hop rubber should i buy to replace the one i currently have, and which nub would i need for it (stock blue specna rotary hop unit) 

i'm a big fan of the maple leaf macaron+omega nub combo, ran it in many pews with excellent results. tan is fine for general use or green if you're the kind of lunatic who needs to be able to lift 0.48g at 1j......

iirc some specna units have the nub built into the arm? i'll let owners confirm that though.

and would it be better to replace the bushings with bearing style bushings and re-shim it while im doing all the work? 

bushings versus bearings, eh, i've never really paid much mind. bushings are going to be able to take more punishment and won't fail catastrophically like a ball bearing can, but bearings can be better for speed. some folk even mix and match with bushings on the sector then bearings on the idler/bevel gear.

shimming would be worth doing only if you feel like you can do it well, otherwise leaving it stock will be a relatively safe option. gotta keep good track of em though, nothing likes going walkies like a shim......

1 hour ago, Lozart said:

True, but the ridges around the rubber are designed to combat that very issue.

The C-Clip is a crap design though, some sniper rifle hops already have grub screws for centring the barrel so yes it could work but you are introducing an additional point of endless fiddling to get things lined up properly. If the hop unit is made well then a tapered collet would probably work (you can get 3D printed ones for the Maxx hop units which would probably work for other hops too).

I have one of these in one of my Maxx units and it seems to hold everything properly steady (although it can be a bit of a pig to get in properly depending on your inner barrel sizes) https://www.airtechstudios.com/products/maxx-advanced-hop-up-chamber-inner-barrel-ring

the combat union design is pretty slick, it has a steel clip that slides in as normal (no actual tension just a neat fit) then a grub screw to lock the clip in place and a collet that screws in and locks the barrel absolutely rock solid.

that said, lot more space in an ak reciever to have a chunky unit with all that stuff on it, wouldn't be to easy to pull off in an m4.

35 minutes ago, Lozart said:

Be interested to try that little wedge - does seem the simplest solution.  I just tried the locking nut that comes with the Retro Arms hop unit however it does nothing to keep the chamber and barrel aligned.

• Supporters
28 minutes ago, ak2m4 said:

Be interested to try that little wedge - does seem the simplest solution.  I just tried the locking nut that comes with the Retro Arms hop unit however it does nothing to keep the chamber and barrel aligned.

BZ Tactical have them in stock https://www.bztactical.co.uk/airtech-advanced-hop-up-chamber-inner-barrel-locking-ring-universal

Worth a try but be aware that it may need some "fitting". I needed a bit of kinetic engineering on mine!

On 09/06/2022 at 16:56, Adolf Hamster said:

iirc some specna units have the nub built into the arm? i'll let owners confirm that though.

in my hop unit, it does have the nub attached to the arm, but im unsure if id need to change it, or if i can... regardless, there are too many options and not a whole lot of sense made in the item descriptions for the parts, which makes it that much more difficult to pick the right bits 

• Supporters
2 hours ago, SoupyXo said:

in my hop unit, it does have the nub attached to the arm, but im unsure if id need to change it, or if i can... regardless, there are too many options and not a whole lot of sense made in the item descriptions for the parts, which makes it that much more difficult to pick the right bits 

tbh, if it were me i'd probably just replace the unit wholesale, but then i have a nasty habit of doing that to basically everything.

the curse of absurdly high expectations.....

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.