Valken hpa bottle blew up

RohanAlex123

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi all

So I got my hands on the valken 3000psi hpa bottle yesterday. Went to fill it up and suddenly at around 2k it blew up and no longer holds air. The leak is around the 1.8 nut? I take it that's a burst disk? If so why would they advertise 3000psi and not allow it to do that. TIA

9 minutes ago, RohanAlex123 said:

Hi all

So I got my hands on the valken 3000psi hpa bottle yesterday. Went to fill it up and suddenly at around 2k it blew up and no longer holds air. The leak is around the 1.8 nut? I take it that's a burst disk? If so why would they advertise 3000psi and not allow it to do that. TIA

22 minutes ago, RohanAlex123 said:

Hi all

Slightly hyperbolic thread title....but anyway...

The 1.8k PSI Burst disk is for the regulated air - which should be around 750-800psi in normal operation. The fact it burst implies that either the regulator isn't...well...regulating or that the Burst disk was in some way faulty from the factory (it can happen).

Either way, if you purchased new - contact the vendor and request a return/replacement.

Just now, Speedbird_666 said:

Slightly hyperbolic thread title....but anyway...

The 1.8k PSI Burst disk is for the regulated air - which should be around 750-800psi in normal operation. The fact it burst implies that either the regulator isn't...well...regulating or that the Burst disk was in some way faulty from the factory (it can happen).

Either way, if you purchased new - contact the vendor and request a return/replacement.

So I had the hpa tank filling up at the time. The only regulator I had on was the built in one. Should I have my gun regulator on the tank too? Don't think I should but I don't feel like it was poor manufacturing and kinda hope I just did something wrong so I can learn from it etc etc.

Tia

@RohanAlex123

It is best to fill a cylinder on its own (as you appear to have done as you have asked if you should have had the gun regulator connected)

As per the video linked above……

if the ‘high’ burst disk had blown then that would relate to having had the cylinder over pressurised.

as your ‘low’ burst disk has blown then that means too much pressure was coming out of the regulator 

The cylinders regulator should only be letting air out in the hundreds of psi

but unless you had any equipment fitted no air should have been coming out 

Assuming you didn’t have a remote line etc connected then I would guess that the regulator failed and  out the full pressure that you were filling - this matches your description of the ‘low’ 1800psi burst disk failing at up to 2000psi of fill

Assuming it was a new cylinder then the regulator was faulty - go straight back to the retailer 

(don’t just replace the burst disk - there is a reason why it failed)

What was your fill source?  
If it was a proper HPA compressor, filtered and maintained then I would still be blaming a faulty regulator 

If if was a ‘home’ compressor system, or an unfiltered system  then I’d be less sure and would then consider that the system was contaminated, clogged the regulator and caused the regulator to fail.  The regulator would need a complete rebuild by a competent person 

Another possible source of contamination is a dirty fill nipple.  If you don’t have one then I’d recommend getting a nipple cover to keep it safe until filling 

If it wasn’t new then burst disks can fail, but still remember the regulator has failed and needs to be investigated 

Take a life lesson that high pressure air is to be respected, your burst disk has done its job (consider it as a pressure fuse), and keep skin clear from burst disks when filling just in case 

…… if can be scary, but your bottle didn’t blow up

Many many years ago there were a couple of actual bottle explosions which had a combination of factors contributing to them.

A couple of weeks after an actual explosion I was in proximity to the blowing of a ‘high’ burst disk when someone filled a 3000psi on the 4500psi fill station - everyone ran & then slowly walked back to give him grief 

1 hour ago, RohanAlex123 said:

So I had the hpa tank filling up at the time. The only regulator I had on was the built in one. Should I have my gun regulator on the tank too? Don't think I should but I don't feel like it was poor manufacturing and kinda hope I just did something wrong so I can learn from it etc etc.

Tia

How were you filling?

This runs through how to fill, with the exception that of filling from empty it’s advisable to stop / start a couple of times to avoid too much heating 

11 minutes ago, Tommikka said:

@RohanAlex123

It is best to fill a cylinder on its own (as you appear to have done as you have asked if you should have had the gun regulator connected)

As per the video linked above……

if the ‘high’ burst disk had blown then that would relate to having had the cylinder over pressurised.

as your ‘low’ burst disk has blown then that means too much pressure was coming out of the regulator 

The cylinders regulator should only be letting air out in the hundreds of psi

but unless you had any equipment fitted no air should have been coming out 

Assuming you didn’t have a remote line etc connected then I would guess that the regulator failed and  out the full pressure that you were filling - this matches your description of the ‘low’ 1800psi burst disk failing at up to 2000psi of fill

Assuming it was a new cylinder then the regulator was faulty - go straight back to the retailer 

(don’t just replace the burst disk - there is a reason why it failed)

What was your fill source?  
If it was a proper HPA compressor, filtered and maintained then I would still be blaming a faulty regulator 

If if was a ‘home’ compressor system, or an unfiltered system  then I’d be less sure and would then consider that the system was contaminated, clogged the regulator and caused the regulator to fail.  The regulator would need a complete rebuild by a competent person 

Another possible source of contamination is a dirty fill nipple.  If you don’t have one then I’d recommend getting a nipple cover to keep it safe until filling 

If it wasn’t new then burst disks can fail, but still remember the regulator has failed and needs to be investigated 

Take a life lesson that high pressure air is to be respected, your burst disk has done its job (consider it as a pressure fuse), and keep skin clear from burst disks when filling just in case 

…… if can be scary, but your bottle didn’t blow up

Many many years ago there were a couple of actual bottle explosions which had a combination of factors contributing to them.

A couple of weeks after an actual explosion I was in proximity to the blowing of a ‘high’ burst disk when someone filled a 3000psi on the 4500psi fill station - everyone ran & then slowly walked back to give him grief 

How were you filling?

This runs through how to fill, with the exception that of filling from empty it’s advisable to stop / start a couple of times to avoid too much heating 

So when I got the bottle I did notice a small leak on the bonnet I think it's called. I tightend that down a little more and filled up. Still q small leak. So I took it off and replaced the 0 rings. Seemed to worna treat until at 2kpsi it popped the burst disk. From reading the above I do believe it was a faulty bottle. I'm going to return it tomorrow morning. 

My compressor is a amazon one. I had a bog standard moisture filter but I've stuck a massive one on as a preventative measure.

It's only as old as the bottle so shouldn't be the issue. I'll get a new bottle tomorrow and report back

Thanks guys

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.