Are additional modifications needed to install a new slide on a TM hi capa 5.1?

PTR

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi,

I purchased a Tokyo Marui hi capa 5.1 gold match but I had to order it in two tone. When I get my UKARA membership I plan to change the slide to an aftermarket black alternative.

I’m very new to airsoft so I was wondering do you need to make any other modifications when installing a new slide. For example do I need a new barrel? I was looking at the Laylax gungnir slide as it’s quite inexpensive and I can upgrade again further down the line if need be. Does anyone know if this slide would require additional upgrades? If so which upgrades would have to be made? (I’ll link the slide I’m talking about below)

https://www.patrolbase.co.uk/laylax-nine-ball-custom-gungnir-slide-for-tm-hi-capa-5-1-gbb?pv=18563

Thanks in advance

The essentials are a stronger nozzle and recoil spring. Don't go overboard on the spring. 120% is more than enough.

Depending on which make of slide you get, you may have to look at a metal barrel. I ran my TM with an Airsoft Masterpiece slide and the original plastic TM outer barrel for quite a while, without problems, but I don't know about other makes. Since the outer barrel on the Gold Match is non dropping, it will probably be fine with a metal slide. 

I would always advise TM hi capa owners to get an AM slide. They are nicely made, reasonably priced and a straight fit. 

2 minutes ago, PTR said:

Hi,

I purchased a Tokyo Marui hi capa 5.1 gold match but I had to order it in two tone. When I get my UKARA membership I plan to change the slide to an aftermarket black alternative.

I’m very new to airsoft so I was wondering do you need to make any other modifications when installing a new slide. For example do I need a new barrel? I was looking at the Laylax gungnir slide as it’s quite inexpensive and I can upgrade again further down the line if need be. Does anyone know if this slide would require additional upgrades? If so which upgrades would have to be made? (I’ll link the slide I’m talking about below)

https://www.patrolbase.co.uk/laylax-nine-ball-custom-gungnir-slide-for-tm-hi-capa-5-1-gbb?pv=18563

Thanks in advance

Sadly the answer is maybe. It may drop in or you may have to sand it to get it to run. The tolerances just aren't good enough to say for certain. Not as interesting but you could put up a wanted add for a stock TM Hi Capa slide at least you know it will fit. 

1 minute ago, BigStew said:

Sadly the answer is maybe. It may drop in or you may have to sand it to get it to run. The tolerances just aren't good enough to say for certain. Not as interesting but you could put up a wanted add for a stock TM Hi Capa slide at least you know it will fit. 

Also if the slide is plastic you don't need to upgrade any parts

10 minutes ago, emilianoksa said:

The essentials are a stronger nozzle and recoil spring. Don't go overboard on the spring. 120% is more than enough.

Depending on which make of slide you get, you may have to look at a metal barrel. I ran my TM with an Airsoft Masterpiece slide and the original plastic TM outer barrel for quite a while, without problems, but I don't know about other makes. Since the outer barrel on the Gold Match is non dropping, it will probably be fine with a metal slide. 

I would always advise TM hi capa owners to get an AM slide. They are nicely made, reasonably priced and a straight fit. 

Ah okay thanks I’ll give them a look. As someone who’s new to airsoft all the possible upgrades are quite overwhelming 😂 thanks again

10 minutes ago, BigStew said:

Also if the slide is plastic you don't need to upgrade any parts

I was thinking about trying to find a stock TM slide but apparently it’s pretty common for them to break from what I’ve read. If I don’t need to mod anything with plastic slides I might go with that gungnir one I linked as it’s plastic. Thanks for the help

11 minutes ago, PTR said:

Ah okay thanks I’ll give them a look. As someone who’s new to airsoft all the possible upgrades are quite overwhelming 😂 thanks again

I was thinking about trying to find a stock TM slide but apparently it’s pretty common for them to break from what I’ve read. If I don’t need to mod anything with plastic slides I might go with that gungnir one I linked as it’s plastic. Thanks for the help

Only if you run over powered gas on them. In 22 years I have never had a TM pistol slide break on me.

2 minutes ago, BigStew said:

Only if you run over powered gas on them. In 22 years I have never had a TM pistol slide break on me.

pistols are only meant to be short range back ups they don't need high fps. If you want to out range AEGs then you need a MK23 Nbb.

Edited by BigStew

As far as I’m aware you need a new outer barrel and maybe an inner barrel when using a gold match as a base as they are completely different to the stock tm 5.1 and all aftermarket slides are designed for stock items.

The frame is also slightly different but runs fine with a stock slide.

Personally if you are looking at modifying a hicapa upon purchase unless you really want the lower shape of the gold match they are not worthy of the extra over the 5.1.

If  you are planning on leaving as tm intended then the gold match is the better purchase or for if you want a red dot the D.O.R but this also has specific parts.

Edited by Stratton Oakmont

40 minutes ago, BigStew said:

pistols are only meant to be short range back ups they don't need high fps. If you want to out range AEGs then you need a MK23 Nbb.

I’m not looking for anymore range or anything it’s mainly just an aesthetic change for now. I hate the two tone look so I’m mainly just looking for a black slide to put on the gun so that it looks better. Not really bothered about improving performance right now

16 minutes ago, Stratton Oakmont said:

As far as I’m aware you need a new outer barrel and maybe an inner barrel when using a gold match as a base as they are completely different to the stock tm 5.1 and all aftermarket slides are designed for stock items.

The frame is also slightly different but runs fine with a stock slide.

Personally if you are looking at modifying a hicapa upon purchase unless you really want the lower shape of the gold match they are not worthy of the extra over the 5.1.

If  you are planning on leaving as tm intended then the gold match is the better purchase or for if you want a red dot the D.O.R but this also has specific parts.

I’ve already ordered the gold match but I wasn’t aware that it wasn’t compatible with some aftermarket parts. Hopefully I can find a replacement slide then that’ll fit without having to file anything down or modify parts

@PTRCheck out www.HiCapaHub.co.uk

Kyle is the font of all wisdom for capas on this cold, wet and windy island and to cap it off, he’s a top bloke.

He carries the Airsoft Masterpiece range, which are the go-tos if you want to do it once, properly

120% hammer and recoil and spring set and barrel spacer should be all you need. Personally, I’d change the bbu at the same time as the TM part is incredibly heavy

Edited by Alimcd

On 01/06/2022 at 17:17, Alimcd said:

@PTRCheck out www.HiCapaHub.co.uk

Kyle is the font of all wisdom for capas on this cold, wet and windy island and to cap it off, he’s a top bloke.

He carries the Airsoft Masterpiece range, which are the go-tos if you want to do it once, properly

120% hammer and recoil and spring set and barrel spacer should be all you need. Personally, I’d change the bbu at the same time as the TM part is incredibly heavy

Okay thanks! I'll have a look at that now. Seems that the market in the UK is tiny in comparison to the US sites selling parts

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.