WE M16A1's, any good?

JinxDuh

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

As fun as AEG's are, there's just something that little bit special about GBB rifles... I've never had one, nor have I ever used one, but I want one.

Naturally, eyeing up the WE M16A1 (Not that I can find any in stock, typcial...). Reviews are mixed, but not much in the sense of if they're any good for a first GBB rifle.

What can I expect from one, being that I have absolutely no experience with GBB rifles, and is it a good choice to start with?

It really depends what you want to use it for. Personally, since getting my first gas gun a few years ago, I’ve never looked back and will only get gas guns. AEG’s just lack that bit of realism that you get with a GBB. That said, I don’t really play anymore and my guns are for collection or display purposes. If you want to run a gas gun in games then you need to take into consideration it’s going to be more expensive to run and require more effort to maintain. Also, you’ll need to alter your playing style if you’re used to just running and gunning. You’ll need more magazines than you would for an AEG and because they hold less bb’s you’ll need to be more controlled in your shooting. But I’m sure you’re probably already aware of all that.

As for the WE M16A1, it’s a great rifle, but good luck getting hold of one. I’ve been on the lookout for one for over a year but they’ve not been back in stock. Unless you want to buy from abroad. You will need to keep it maintained with regular cleaning and oiling. Just think of it as a real rifle and you won’t go wrong. Bear in mind that internal parts will break, but because it’s a WE there are loads of replacement parts available. The rifle is quite light so the recoil is stronger which just adds to the realism for me.

In short, if you can find one I’d say definitely buy one. It’s a decent rifle for a first gas blowback. It was one of my first and like I say, I wouldn’t go back to AEG’s.

just to mirror everything Super64 says . Factor in cost of mags, I typically run 5 mags and a speed loader for a game and get over 2 BB fills to 1 gas fill. Develope yor playing style to suit carefull single shots and double taps , and it's very satisfying. My L119 A1 and A2 are both based on WE m4's so fundamentally the same platform as the m16 , and I can't fault them tbh. Fit an NPAS to get the power level down or semi lock it and run as a DMR

I always take an aeg to a game day as well as the GBBR's and the aeg never comes out of it's bag unless the temperature drops really low.

Cheers for the replies @Super64 & @Nick G.

I'm already running my AEG M16 at real cap amounts all be it 30 rounds instead of 20, so that shouldn't be a problem. Gonna be keeping my eye out for one now!

Also factor in a new trigger box which you will need after a few months using it.

WE GBBRs trigger sear is made of shit metal so wears quite quickly.

See if you can find a RA-Tech trigger box as its worth getting and drops straight in.  (Or get the components separately and fit to existing box)

Edited by EDcase

8 minutes ago, EDcase said:

Also factor in a new trigger box which you will need after a few months using it.

WE GBBRs trigger sear is made of shit metal so wears quite quickly.

See if you can find a RA-Tech trigger box as its worth getting and drops straight in.  (Or get the components separately and fit to existing box)

Thanks! I saw that reported a lot whilst doing some brief research. I found this one; https://www.switairsoft.com/product-page/upgrded-m16a1-gas-blowback-airsoft-rifle on SWIT, however my only experience with SWIT was when they lost my order for a kar98k and then took about a month to agree to refund me. The price is about £450, which seems good to me given the trigger itself is about £60. Would that package be ideal? 

I run two WE rifles and love them. I really don’t maintain them much. Most important thing in my opinion is to keep gas in the mags at all times. The msk mags are the best as the don’t suffer cool down as much as steel shell mags. 
get a decent 60* hop rubber, and angry gun mpa to control the fps (although I had to swap out the o ring for a stock WE one) and just use semi.  
skirmish wise, unless you go somewhere like ground zero, most sites run hour ish max games, and I find 5 mags and a pistol plenty, spesh for cqb
so as everyone else has said, go for it. Maybe buy a open bolt conversion kit for spares or buy the ra tech trigger box. But I’ve found they last due to just using semi (most cqb sites require this anyhow)

they do take effort to tune; hop, bb weight and fps, but once dialled, it’s worth it!!

Hi. I purchased one from zero one about 4 years ago with 3 spare mags. I knew the plastic nozzles were shite so I got an RA tech Ali nozzle from China the same week. Apparently at one point they were sending out 2 nozzles with them in the hope you wouldn't complain.

My plastic nozzle broke in fantastic style after 3 mags.  A few years later it's off the wall and running the RA tech nozzle.  New out the box it feels solid but light. The front grip flexes and crackles on its joints as you test it. The gun feels great in your shoulder and overall 7 out of 10 for feel. 

The mags are a good weight and remind you not to spray and prey. The RA tech nozzle is fps adjustable with an awkward unique style torque/  allen key at a slight angle. On fitment mine hit 350 first shot 320's there after. 

There is a good you tube vid on fitting the RA tec nozzle and he says "keep the small inner fly valve spring for consistant fps".   I did this and I'm pretty happy.  

Single is great. A really good kick that tests your cheap fillings. Full auto is only good for burst but it is still a massive amount of fun.   Don't expect a full mag dump. 

I run 0.25g and love double tapping. With three spare mags you use your side arm when you are meant to. 

Hop isn't too  bad considering you have to take the rear pin out crack it and use a fiddly little allen key in the piston  guide area.

If you get one, it's  a keeper.  Watch out for repro real steel stocks and grip bundles at about £150 in green brown or black. The originals were very brittle some don't bother looking.

It's on the wall till next month, I'm happy. 

IMG-20220527-WA0001.jpeg

The WE mp5 apache is one of my go to smg's now. Been using it for over a year now with no quibbles at all.

I used the 416 (both versions) for a good while also and never had to replace anything other than the nozzle- This was my fault as i put a full amount of BB's in the mag and loaded the gun wit the bolt forward. This caused too much pressure on the nozzle and it broke. Easy fix thankfully!

I now have bought a WE AK74UN and that thing rocks! Love it.

I think WE are a great platform to work from.

3 hours ago, JinxDuh said:

Thanks! I saw that reported a lot whilst doing some brief research. I found this one; https://www.switairsoft.com/product-page/upgrded-m16a1-gas-blowback-airsoft-rifle on SWIT, however my only experience with SWIT was when they lost my order for a kar98k and then took about a month to agree to refund me. The price is about £450, which seems good to me given the trigger itself is about £60. Would that package be ideal? 

Yeah, I have bought from SWIT and it went fine but I imagine if it doesn't go well it could be a hard fight to get a refund.

I guess if you pay with paypal you'll be covered.

You only have their word that its been upgraded tho.

£450 with delivery.  Don't know if you'll have to pay duty or VAT.

Edited by EDcase

To add to what others have already said... Honestly GBB isn't as bad as some make out. My first airsoft rif I bought at the beginning of the year was A TM M4. Yes they need cleaning and maintaining more regularly but from what I have learned now owning an aeg they are easier to maintain,  its just they need doing more regularly. A maintenance session after a game day takes me 15 mins. And i actually enjoy disassembling it and cleaning and greasing it up. So its not really a chore for me. The trigger mech generally needs very little attention in terms of maintaining. Mainly just cleaning the upper receiver and BCG then regreasing and cleaning the barrel. Wheras an aeg when the time comes, doing a full strip maintenance..  they are much harder. Making sure you don't mess up the shimming and just disassembling and assembling is much harder than a gbb. So don't be put off by the old 'GBB is harder to maintain' claims. As far as I'm concerned they are wrong. It's that GBB needs maintenance more regularly. If your not lazy, this isn't an issue.

I went gbbr for the added realism and it sure delivers. I have an aeg for a winter gun and emergency backup. The low round count, the recoil, the reloading etc... all add to that realism for me which an aeg can't give. Know your reason for wanting one and if its justified then go for it. It's not that daunting.

Hi. I don't know what the VN"s are worth now but it's a definite keeper regardless of the offers. 

If its your first GBB this would be my pecking order.  Based on first gun, cost,  performance, parts availability, shits and giggles.

1)  A huge shout out to the GHK G5

2)  Fast mover on the field and the forums TM Mp7

3) NS2 changed a lot in GBB, everyone has to own a MP9

4) Any GHK AK variant

All of these are sub £500 bundles, they will run well if looked after. The KWA MP9 mags were scarce for some years but now they are a plenty.  I highly recommend the G5 on performance and cost, just watch for a cracked receiver left side just rear of the back pin.  A simple epoxy fill will last for years.

All my electric guns have an inch of dust on them

I can honestly say I've not had any failures and the L119 A1 has had many thousands of BBs through it. Still on it's original nozzle. Does have RAtec parts in the trigger box , only fitted a couple of months ago, but tbf that was more about enjoying tinkering, the original parts were still working fine. It rarely gets used in full auto which may extend sear life.  Both have Maple leaf rubbers and omega nubs fitted along with Crazy jet barrels and the A1 has an NPAS fitted. I've made up a long tool for adjusting the hop , but once set it rarely needs adjusting .

9 hours ago, SBoardley said:

Can we change this thread to the WE gbbr thread ? Might be useful hub for sources?

Now thats a good idea.

There used to be a WE owners group on facebook, but disappeared along with the rest of some airsoft pages and groups.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.