Specna arms edge & 11.1v lipo?

Jacco

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi 

I've been running a sa e_05 with an 11.1 for over a year now and it's fine 🤞lol.

Regards

• Supporters

It depends.  In my ~1J SA-E02 Edge, I get consistent overspin and double-tapping on semi with a very moderately spinnier Tornado aftermarket motor, 11.1V and (IIRC) an M100 spring.  I haven't tried with the stock motor.  You might get lucky, and worst case it's an excuse to add a trick mosfet with active brake / pre-cock.

Or it might not even be much of an issue in practice in woodland if you can use 7.4V for single-shots at chrono then shout "Sorry mate!" a lot in game if you end up double-tapping under your semi-auto distance (or worse case it's an excuse to buy a pistol... ;) ). 

• Supporters

There are no guarantees in airsoft, but I don't have any particular concerns running 11.1V in mine.  The risk factors in Specnas are the Orion gearbox cracking at the front, and the bearings collapsing, and both of those are more related to backy-forwardy stresses from the spring rather than spinning the gears faster.  You're vanishingly unlikely to get pre-engagement or feeding issues just from going to 11.1V with the stock motor and an M90-M100 spring.

I would caution that you might see double-tapping on semi, especially with the stock M90 spring, but there's only one way to find out.

6 hours ago, Rogerborg said:

There are no guarantees in airsoft, but I don't have any particular concerns running 11.1V in mine.  The risk factors in Specnas are the Orion gearbox cracking at the front, and the bearings collapsing, and both of those are more related to backy-forwardy stresses from the spring rather than spinning the gears faster.  You're vanishingly unlikely to get pre-engagement or feeding issues just from going to 11.1V with the stock motor and an M90-M100 spring.

I would caution that you might see double-tapping on semi, especially with the stock M90 spring, but there's only one way to find out.

Thanks dude I appreciate it. 

I'll give it a go and see if I prefer it enough to keep running it. I do have another if all goes pear shaped. Thanks for your input 👍

• 4 weeks later...

As a follow on quesion.... 

I'm pondering batteries.  I currently use a 7.4v 10c.

Would staying with 7.4v, but going to a significantly higher C rating help with rof and trigger response (i already have the GATE X-ASR MOSFET installed)? 

Dont want to muller my gearbox! 

Cheers. 

3 minutes ago, EDcase said:

Yeah, higher C rating is better as its a measure of highest burst current.  You may not notice a huge improvement but its better for the battery anyway.

Whelp.... Time to find Mr Wallet again 😂😂😂

Edited by Dan Robinson
Typo

I suppose the next question is how high to go?  I was thinking 30 C should do it. 

Although there are a couple of 50c ones on Amazon and 25C as well. 

Hhhhmmmm

Just found this thread

Interesting read. Especially about the mAh and C rating working as a multiplier.  I never thought of it that way.

I use 2200mAh 10C batteries.  So that changes my search parameters significantly as I was going to get smaller mAhs. But a lot of those are 1200mAh 25c.  So not a meaningful change. 

Edited by Dan Robinson

Well... It fits the same way my current battery does.... Strapped to the underside of the stock with velcro strips 🤣🤣🤣

Rough as all balls but you can't get anything meaningful in the stock of the gun anyway.   I've come up with a good way to secure the power cable as it comes through the back of the buffer tube protecting it from rubbing. 

Changing the stock to an M4 is something I brought up the other night.  But I'm minded to not spend anymore of this gun and stsrt thinking of the next one. 

Edited by Dan Robinson

• 10 months later...
31 minutes ago, Rowland24 said:

Just got a E-02 and it sometimes over spins causing 2 burst..any way to stop it doing that on the 11.1v the eBay review recommended a 11.1v

Or even an 11.1v if not then slap on an 11.1v😉

• Supporters
4 hours ago, Rowland24 said:

the eBay review recommended a 11.1v

eBay review = US = M120 spring = no overspin.

How am I doing?

If you're running the M90 that goes in the UK market ones, you'll want to up-spring, use 7.4V, or fit an active-brake mosfet.

On 19/06/2022 at 13:12, Dan Robinson said:

As a follow on quesion.... 

I'm pondering batteries.  I currently use a 7.4v 10c.

Would staying with 7.4v, but going to a significantly higher C rating help with rof and trigger response (i already have the GATE X-ASR MOSFET installed)? 

Dont want to muller my gearbox! 

Cheers. 

On 19/06/2022 at 13:45, EDcase said:

Yeah, higher C rating is better as its a measure of highest burst current.  You may not notice a huge improvement but its better for the battery anyway.

Looks like you found out how to calculate amps. As long as your motor has enough amps, it literally doesn't matter how high the ratings are.

I should point out that most airsoft manufacturers drastically overstate their ratings in both "C" and Mah, sometimes by as much as double, as testing has shown. This is even inconsistent between identical packs made by the same manufacturer.

12 hours ago, Leo Greer said:

Looks like you found out how to calculate amps. As long as your motor has enough amps, it literally doesn't matter how high the ratings are.

Don't get sarky

The ratings DO matter because they determine how long the battery will last.

2 hours ago, EDcase said:

Don't get sarky

The ratings DO matter because they determine how long the battery will last.

I meant to emphasize how high the ratings could be, not how low😁 For example, the gun will be fine on a 7.4v 10,000 mah 100C brick.

Of course capacity matters--I'm not a complete idiot. 😉

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.