Black Air soft Gun

zoltan orsos

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

hello

im about to buy an air soft gun in UK.As far as im aware it has to be two toned but i have been told by the owner of the air soft shop if i am a member of MVT (Military Vehicle Trust) i can legally owe a black airsoft gun.

Could this be true?

• Supporters

"Legality" is an interesting one for airsoft in the UK. The easiest way to get realistic-colored guns is to get a UKARA number. To get one simply play three games at a site in X amount of time (2 months? Three? I cant remember). Then you can get a non-painted gun. I cannot comment on your particular case regarding MVT though. That being said you dont need anything to legally own a realistic airsoft gun, only to *buy* one. 

Response edited as I hadn’t realised this guy had asked the same question in another thread.

Edited by Super64
Response withdrawn as this is clearly a duplicate thread.

As per the other thread …..

…. valid defences for buying a black gun / RIF include airsoft skirmishing and reenactment (among some others)

The MVT covers membership as a reenactor in the Military Vehicle Trust, airsoft skirmishing is normally ‘proven’ by playing three times at an airsoft site and gaining site membership with UKARA registration 

Ask the shop why they are asking you to conspire to commit fraud to justify their quicker sale rather than you taking the required time to play - they are probably worried that you will learn more about airsoft and buy something else from someone else

• Supporters
13 hours ago, Super64 said:

Response edited as I hadn’t realised this guy had asked the same question in another thread.

Not a great sign, is it?

If you are 18 or over, you are legally fine to purchase, or attempt to purchase, a realistic imitation firearm from anyone in the UK.  You are not committing any offence by doing so, and you don't need any sort of defence or licence to buy or own it.

It's the seller that's committing an offence by selling it. They need a defence to do it, one of which is selling for the purposes of historical re-enactment.  They clearly don't believe that's your real intention, they're just asking for a MVT number that they can record against the sale in the very, very unlikely event that it ever becomes an issue for them.  Some sellers even accept "defences" that are (legally speaking) nothing of the sort, e.g. cosplay.

That's a concern for them, not for you.  They want to sell, you want to buy.

My concern would be what you intend to do with it, and whether you're likely to attract the wrong sort of attention.

Please be aware that public possession of any imitation firearm, realistic or otherwise, is an offence, and that you need to be able to produce a reasonable excuse on demand.  That would mean being on the way to or from an airsoft event at an insured site, not showing it off to your mates down the local woods.

tl;dr version - if you're at least 18, you're fine to buy and own get an assault-style toy inside the UK.  Just be very careful what you do with it.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.