Some guidance for a returning player

Jay91

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

So I sold up all my airsoft gear a few years ago now (which I regret) because people I went with at the time gave up due to work commitments and the spiralling cost then I found going alone just wasn't as fun so threw in the towel. A friend recently got in touch with me and said he and a few of his pals go and that I should come along, for the first few games I begged and borrowed to get my ukara but I'm nearly there now so want to think about getting a rif again. Previously I dabbled in all roles with an aeg dmr and bolt action but nowadays I guess I have a little more disposable income until the missus finds out. Budget all in for first rif is around the £450-500 mark, I'm happy to go pre owned and I also don't mind upgrading the gun. my only real experience taking the gun apart was on a vfc hk416 and my well l96 bolty.

As much enjoyment as my previous guns gave me I'm kind of swaying towards something a little different this time around in that I'd like an AUG or a vector something a little less seen than the m4 platform. My fear is that I've not seen too many, if any good things said about any of the AUG's on the market and having never opened one up I'm not entirely sure what id be able to change on the stock rif, the vector on the other hand seems to do well out of the box but also comes with its short falls.

Am I making a bad decision with going with one of these two platforms as my only rif (for now)? should i stick to the ole faithful tried and tested m4 type or is there possibly another viable option? I will mostly be in open woodland with possibly a little cqb in between however I can borrow a more cqb focused rif if need be

Thanks in advance

I recently bought a TM AUG HC from here, and it's a great gun - scratching that "not another m4" itch.
I've found to my (future) cost that AUG mags don't fit in my hard shell M4 pouches (So I'm going to buy some Novritsch 556/762/AUG pouches in the near future)
They do fit fine in soft pouches like Brit issue L85 ones though... just a 'beeyatch' to get them back in again, if that's what you prefer to do, rather than using a dump pouch.
So that's something to bear in mind.

The other obvious alternative would be an AK variant?   Plenty available with rails etc, and I haven't seen many AKs at my site.   The Cyma Platinums would seem to be a good series to look at, given how even the basic Cyma AK's are well thought of.

edit: ho hum, made a bit of a tit of myself there, the only Cyma Platinum AKs I found when having a quick look are those not-quite-right M4-stocked variants.   Nahhhhhh.

Edited by RostokMcSpoons

I mostly stay away from the M4 platform too. Just a personal preference.
I have, among other things, a Krytac Vector and I love it. 
Pros:
Looks different
Fun to shoot
Very customisable
For the past 3 years it has been VERY reliable
Maneuverable in confined situations

Cons:
Mag sizes. 120 round mags, or smaller, or a drum
Mag pouches. Finding pouches for a Vector mag can be a pain. I've gone kydex, from Deadly customs as their kydex SMG holsters take Vector and KQA smg mags (I also have a KWA QRF MOD2)
Upgrading: I have never opened mine up, I run it stock, but I hear people hate working on them as they are so different to other RIFs internally (Luke Neg Air won't even touch them)
Weight. For a "CQB SMG" it's pretty heavy. Not awkward and cumbersome, but it's not as light as it looks.

Overall I really enjoy my vector, and it is a head turner of a gun.
Can't speak to the AUG, never used or owned one.

Vector in action.

Also: Welcome back.

281373893_10225563667510575_777343179771376837_n.jpg

Edited by Skullchewer

TM AUG either the high cycle or standard are great guns. The cross bolt safety now comes with a third position that acts as a fire select as well as the progressive trigger. Not heard bad things about the Chinese clones just finish and tolerances aren't as good. They are easy to work on with a v3 gearbox which is only held in place by a few screws and can be pulled out the stock. You also have the fact it's take down so you can swap upper receivers and barrels. I personally have a fondness for a P90 red dot. Second hand wise a stock TM recoil scar is a fun gun. If you want something DMR CYMA M14 is great outthd box and relatively cheap. CYMA AKs are generally good as are their MP5s.

have to say, I've personally never liked the look of the ak and its variants and always liked the vector, but at the price its currently at on the used market I thought I best come up with some alternatives as I'd imagine for the £500 or so id spend on the vector I can probably get quite a lot of gun. I went AUG because I like how they look and I saw a picture of someone who had the various uppers to convert the gun for different uses. As it will be my only rif for a while I'm avoiding a bolt or dmr just because its quite limiting in where I can take it although in the future I do like the silverback srs. Scar was also an option but I don't want the blow back system as ebbr is just more to go wrong and without going HPA which as much as I'd like to have a dabble I'm avoiding for now because I have nowhere close to fill the tank I also don't want to go down the refillable or co2 gas route on a primary.

@Skullchewer its such a cool looking gun but those mags do look so awkward 🤣

I would say that with your budget you could afford to get something interesting.

And an M4.  

Yup, it's Double Eagle M9xx recommendation time, again... good solid backup gun if nothing else... 

https://www.patrolbase.co.uk/double-eagle-m916g-utr556?pv=17877

Edited by RostokMcSpoons
Oops, M906 still out of stock

If you can get to an airsoft shop, try a few guns before committing to a 'non-M4' platform.

The reason why:

- I desperately wanted a CZ Bren 805. Nearly ordered one online. Thank god i didn't because when I checked one out at the Zero One showroom, I hated it.

- As above for the APS UAR

- As above for a Tavor

- As above for an AUG

- As above for the ICS Hera Arms

Saved me a frikken fortune in the end.

Your bio say 'West London', there might be a couple of airsoft shops that you could visit -  Bespoke Airsoft springs to mind. You don't have to buy from them, just have a fondle of the RIFs before parting with your cash.

5 minutes ago, Speedbird_666 said:

Your bio say 'West London', there might be a couple of airsoft shops that you could visit -  Bespoke Airsoft springs to mind. You don't have to buy from them, just have a fondle of the RIFs before parting with your cash.

This is good advice, and the lads at Bespoke are well nice.

40 minutes ago, Speedbird_666 said:

If you can get to an airsoft shop, try a few guns before committing to a 'non-M4' platform.

The reason why:

- I desperately wanted a CZ Bren 805. Nearly ordered one online. Thank god i didn't because when I checked one out at the Zero One showroom, I hated it.

Can I ask what you hated about the Bren?

when I brought mine I loved the feel and weight of it but it was double firing on a 7.4 and had a mushy trigger. nearly took it back to the shop as I was that pissed

£150 later and now I love it all :D

14 minutes ago, strykerles said:

Can I ask what you hated about the Bren?

Weight, balance, side picatinny rails that can't be easily removed, realising that it's pretty much just a G36 in a different body with a price premium, the stock comb, the pistol grip and trigger pull.

Basically, it wasn't an M4.

So yeh...I think that just about covers it.

Shame, I loved it based on the photos alone. I'm just glad that I didn't blow a wedge of cash on it (learnt from hard experience with the Proline Beretta ARX-160).

But in a classic case of not following my own advice - I just ordered a gun on impulse purely on it's looks. It arrives tomorrow. I'm a fucking idiot.

image.png.f6e43d9c8e10f2351623f797ba9b3ba0.png

Edited by Speedbird_666

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.