Sights: when to bother, when to not

Floperator

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

For my aegs I tend to run a red dot sight, although it's partly for looks tbh. 

For cqb I don't really have a choice about point shooting as I tend to use as this is my primary. No rear sight and the front bead sight is obscured by the shock chordDSC_0668.JPG.35317996b81ef845ebfc040f3c42ea9d.jpeg.ec9790022abce2b6c85216d09c40a8b6.thumb.jpeg.199399a580192c15d3e956120c8d88ae.jpeg

I’ve only played airsoft since 2018, and always had some sort of red dot thing mounted to my RIF’s 

My latest aeg has nothing on it and I’m quite happy using the iron sites (I can’t find something that suits it (Tart I know))

Having played Paintball in my younger years, for circa 20 years , it was all about muscle memory and snap shooting

Its put me in good shape, I can genuinely pop out and hit a target probably up to 30 meters quite accurately without the use of any optic or iron site at all

I find it just down to practice

Getting comfy with my rif and it’s feel, balance, and where it will hit

Try it

Get a barricade that you can stand and hide behind , and lean out to the side to shoot at a target then get back in

do this 100 times doing it faster & faster and eventually your muscles learn how far you have to move out to get to the “learned” position to shoot

Once you have done this for a few dozen times, you can actually just snap straight out, pull the trigger, get back into cover  , and hear the “HIT” 

Massively satisfying 

My optics are fitted 80% for fashion factor 👌

Edited by Enid_Puceflange

I generally do just fine with iron sights, though it depends on what situation I'm in:

if I'm setting up an ambush, then yeah I do aim down my sights, if I'm the one being ambushed I mostly point and shoot, I still shoulder whatever gun I have but getting a sight picture is at the bottom of my priority list, at least for the first two/three bursts.

34 minutes ago, Skara said:

...if I'm setting up an ambush, then yeah I do aim down my sights, if I'm the one being ambushed I mostly point and shoot...

See I'm coming from the viewpoint that ideally you should see your opponent before they see you, and that's where a optic (ideally magnified) comes in very handy.

Obviously it all goes to shit if you get bounced - I'm not going to sit there and try and get a sight picture if I get ambushed - but then I'm likely dead already...

Very true.   A decent 1-4/6 covers pretty much all.   

Not many budget options compared to 4x40 as far as I know.   Anyone have a wallet friendly suggestion? 

12 minutes ago, Tactical Pith Helmet said:

Not many budget options compared to 4x40 as far as I know.   Anyone have a wallet friendly suggestion? 

Depends on your definition of wallet-friendly, there are a few 1-4x scopes on ebay for £50/£60?

• Supporters
17 minutes ago, Tactical Pith Helmet said:

Very true.   A decent 1-4/6 covers pretty much all.   

the problem i have with those is the "1" isn't really 1 in the same way as running a dot would be (ie zero eyebox if you see the dot you're good).

i found with the stacked setup i ran for a while the lpvo stayed stuck on 4x constantly with the stacked dot being used for 99.9% of engagements, but it was just a shift from chin to cheek weld if i needed to use the magnification.

Cheap LPVOs are crap, good LPVOs are stupid expensive.

LPVOs are heavy and often lackluster in either 1x performance (in terms of 1x not being a true 1x) or shit tier eyebox when magnification is applied.

A more cost effective way would be a micro dot stacked on top of a fixed 4x, half the weight, a quarter of the price and very comparable performance with, often, better glass quality.

• Supporters
7 minutes ago, Skara said:

A more cost effective way would be a micro dot stacked on top of a fixed 4x, half the weight, a quarter of the price and very comparable performance with, often, better glass quality.

pretty much my feelings, given even with the variable i left it set on 4x all the time anyway.

didn't really feel any need for less than 4x as you'd just use the dot, and even at 4x it was mostly for checking "am i hitting or has this guy got plot armour on?"

found the same with the pso on the dragonuv- i was so often tempted to pull the optic and just run irons....

Never used any kind of optics for over 10 years, then got an Eotech at a bargain price and haven't looked back since. I'm honest enough to admit the perceived improvement in my shooting probably isn't all that great but that, added to the cool factor has definitely made it worth it.

The 68moa circle I'd say is definitely more beneficial in airsoft than the dot.

I have since bought a Vortex viper for my glock, mainly for the looks, though I've found that the main benefit is when engaging targets over 10m away, especially if they are ducking in and out of cover.

My 1-4 is actually a 1.4-4.  I can snap shoot with it fine both eyes open.   I certainly don't see the insides of the scope (is that eyebox?) unless I badly fuck up mounting the rifle.  The frame around the image is not an issue for me, but now that @Adolf Hamster has mentioned it perhaps it will be when I fit the dot I bought a few months back to a rif and start using it.  If it does, I'll blame him.  😜 

Out of interest, has anyone on here mounted a pistol scope scout style on a long gun?

I'm slightly short sighted, so need glasses to see in sharp focus past about 15m. But I find what works is no glasses and a 3/4X sight. means I can see perfect detail up to the 50-60m range of my rifs and watch the BB's bouncing off the non hit takers and can see the snipers who think they are invisible. All my Rifs either have Vortex Spitfire 3x (great sight), or the cheaper £60 amazon version (far less eye box, but OK)

Pistols I just do fixed sights and that works fine for me out to 25m of so

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.