Potential Damage to MOSFET

OwenA

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

During a game I had to change battery, the tamiya housing came off and I stupidly rushed and replaced it the wrong way and plugged in, sparks from connection and gun fails to function at all now. Tried different batteries, knowing that wouldn't work but tried anyway, hoping.

Can anyone tell me the probable damage?

Any experience with similar situation?

I assume mosfet is bust, fuse looks ok but I read mosfet will go before fuse.

Many thanks

Basic fuses won't protect polarities. Unless the mosfet has its own protection then it likely dead I'm afraid. Replacement will most likely be the simple option.

• Supporters

What gun is it?

We'd just be guessing, and a very basic multimeter will take the guesswork out of it.

Worse case, you can bin off all the electronics and just install a basic trigger switch.  AK2M4 is fairly low on stock, but still has options for both V2 and V3: https://www.ak2m4.co.uk/internal-parts/trigger-switches

It likely the mosfet only if that has popped first then it should have broken the potential circuit and as a byproduct protected the etu but

As Roger mentioned, knowing the rif and parts is large part of making an better guess and testing with a meter would be the only way of knowing without starting to replace parts.

• Supporters

Ah, right.  Sorry to hear this, it's always a risk with Tamiya.  And yes, Perun mosfets are pretty decent, I'd consider that an opportunity to do an upgrade.

Deans are a solid bet, lots of airsoft folk use them. I tend to favour the xt connectors as I usually have a pile of them about for flight batteries and rc stuff as they are good for keeping out the damp. ;)

• Supporters

If I were rewiring again, I'd probably go to XT-30 or XT-60 instead of Deans, but Deans is pretty good too, and some airsoft guns are switching to it as standard now.

• Supporters

Yup, Deans is just fine, although you can occasionally find a couple of connectors that don't want to match up perfectly.  Still much better than Tamiya.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.