One for the bikers ???

Tackle

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Supporters

Hey guys, been riding intermittently since I was 15, had all the jap brands in various shapes & sizes, but never paid much attention to the Italian stuff.......... Until now 🤔

I know there are many bikers on here, & a few of you ride Italian kit, today at a chance meeting I was offered an almost pristine 2003 Ducati multistrada 1000ds, 27k on the clock, for £2k.

Yep, I've started to check out reviews, all of which seem positive at the mo, but I'm also pretty cynical when it comes to anyone who likes to flap their attention seeking chops on YouTube, so wondered if anybody here has experience with this model or its more recent siblings ? 

Thanks in advance 👍

Mark

Sorry dude, no recent experience. But the two things I know about that era Duke, it must be regularly serviced, way more than the Japanese equivalent, and that service is expensive.

From memory of most of the older design Dukes from that era had the same probs that they always had - crap electrics, poor finish, flimsy plastics. 

The multistrada was a bit of a change in Dukes attitude to quality though.  More modern design that shook off a few of the old problems.  I know that SS models of that era still ate reg/recs and had a general  aversion to water.  A colleagues 900SL went through black boxes quicker than it wore out the tyres.  The newer designed bikes had a far better reputation but still need regular maintenance as said above.  

A mate was told by Massimo Tamburini himself that regular oil changes were the key to long engine life in Dukes.  They don't stand neglect. 

I'd be interested in it.  But then I have an Italian bike in my garage  already.  It's worth the odd issue for the riding experience alone IMHO.  You have a lot of fun for your money there if its been looked after. 

• Supporters

Sorry, nothing specific about that model, I won't touch Eyetalian because of the love-it-on-the-road, hate-it-in-the-workshop relationship that owners seem to have.

(If you liked that video, check out the chap's channel which, unlike Eyetalian bikes or airsoft guns, is an exemplar of quality control.)

Never rode one, but if it's like the Monster, it tends to shake itself apart very quickly.

• Supporters
22 hours ago, Skullchewer said:

get-out-film-no.gif

Akin to that girl you brought home from the club that time; Fun to ride, but way too high maintenance.

Wish I had your wisdom 30 years ago, I only 'kin married her 😭

Seriously though guys, thanks for the advice so far, yeah I knew about ducati's issues back in the 80's/90's, chocolate head studs that didn't like riding from cold etc, they were definitely meant for owners with deeper pockets when it came to servicing but I'm told this particular engine became the "go to" lump in the millennium, & this model was detuned so actually less stress than the other models that shared the poweplant. 

But as well as getting as much positive info on the bike model, I'm approaching it the way I do when I'm buying a rif, studying the owner as much as what he's selling, in this case he's just got the latest incarnation of the multistrada, so as a brand he's had no major issues, plus he has a very well looked after HD bobber, & a classic Honda vf750, again well looked after 👍

As for what I'm considering, it's got new mot, no advisories, New back tyre, full Duke luggage & some other bits, all of which add up to quite a lot of £. 

& the biggest plus, I've got the missus backing 😳, never saw that coming lol. 

If it's any omen, my wife fell in love with my v-twin tourer  immediately.   

She never quite got the cafe racers funnily enough...

8 hours ago, Tackle said:

& the biggest plus, I've got the missus backing 😳, never saw that coming lol. 

Buy it. Buy it now.

I was looking at these as a basis for a stripped back build, love the Ducati soundtrack.

From my research they didn’t have any more or less issues than any other bike, the engine is pretty solid as it’s a de-tuned 996 lump I believe.

• 1 month later...
  • Supporters

Well, I took the plunge & now own my first Italian, & also my first twin, initial impressions so far are good, pulls like a train (even with my fat arse on it lol) & generally feels great. 

Only 20 miles done this evening but I've got a pre-op on Thursday so I'll do another 100 then, mostly winding Country lanes so good opportunity to test the handling 😁

IMG_20220718_201333.jpg

IMG_20220718_201348.jpg

& yeah I will be losing the cissy backrest 🤮

• Supporters
27 minutes ago, EDcase said:

That is quite unique looking 👍

If you ever go to the biker cafe 'Rykas' next to Boxhill in Dorking, give me a shout.

Not in this heat tho 🥵

I think it has been said the fairing/headlight shroud could be likened to an ugly child, only his mama could love him🤣, thankfully you can't see it when your riding. 

Will do, although I've not been to Box Hill in about 25 years, last time I set out to go there with a plod mate of mine, we got pulled about 10 miles away, jolly nice black rat who could have thrown the book at us 😇, & then warned us to stay away from box Hill that day as he was on his way there to meet up with colleagues & cane everyone who had small numberplates & moody exhausts, which we were both guilty of lol😇😇

Jolly nice bloke, very sporting of him👍, & me mate didn't even have to show his "get out of jail free" card. 

Looks good fella. The nose is 'period correct' as a lot of the tourer/adventure bikes had the pod style front end.

Part of me quite likes the back rest.... don't worry, I'll see myself out

;)

8 hours ago, Tackle said:

I think it has been said the fairing/headlight shroud could be likened to an ugly child, only his mama could love him🤣, thankfully you can't see it when your riding. 

Will do, although I've not been to Box Hill in about 25 years, last time I set out to go there with a plod mate of mine, we got pulled about 10 miles away, jolly nice black rat who could have thrown the book at us 😇, & then warned us to stay away from box Hill that day as he was on his way there to meet up with colleagues & cane everyone who had small numberplates & moody exhausts, which we were both guilty of lol😇😇

Jolly nice bloke, very sporting of him👍, & me mate didn't even have to show his "get out of jail free" card. 

I wasn't so lucky 🙄

• Supporters
14 hours ago, Tackle said:

me mate didn't even have to show his "get out of jail free" card

They call themselves Black Rats because they eat their own.  Strathclyde Traffic (as was) used to have an annual Christmas sweepstake to see how many other (actual) coppers they could do each December.

That bike looks like a hot girl hidden inside a weird costume.

image.png.898bea31e64461effc2933bc49c68ad2.png

• Supporters
25 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

They call themselves Black Rats because they eat their own.  Strathclyde Traffic (as was) used to have an annual Christmas sweepstake to see how many other (actual) coppers they could do each December.

That bike looks like a hot girl hidden inside a weird costume.

image.png.898bea31e64461effc2933bc49c68ad2.png

Yeah my mate was firearms, if he got called In urgently he had dispensation that meant speed cams etc wouldnt count against him, but a few months before our "pull", he got stopped coming through Croydon underpass, going home from one such urgent call out, flashed his warrant card & explained to the rat the situation & that he was heading home for some much needed shut-eye before an impending shift, guy was like "take it easy, ride safe", couple of days later he got called in front of his boss & bollocked for abusing his "privileges", going to a shout its OK, but coming from one not so much. 

He wasn't impressed, hence why we smiled nicely & played dumb when we got tugged. 

Rule number one, admit, or even guess nothing lol. 

1 hour ago, Rogerborg said:

Sounds good to me. If only the London Met were as conscientious.

• Supporters
10 minutes ago, Floperator said:

Sounds good to me. If only the London Met were as conscientious.

There'd be no one left to do any actual police work 🤣

• Supporters
2 minutes ago, Tackle said:

There'd be no one left to do any actual police work 🤣

Some might wonder how we'd notice.

45 minutes ago, Tackle said:

flashed his warrant card & explained to the rat the situation & that he was heading home for some much needed shut-eye

Some might say "I'm leathering it because I'm really tired" isn't exactly being careful, now.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.